How big is OSGeo?

Jo Cook
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has recently attempted to estimate the size
(in people) of OSGeo?
I thought the easiest approach might be to see the number of people
subscribed to the discuss list. I'm aware it's not going to catch
everyone, but it seems reasonable as a measure of the community.

Thoughts?

Furthermore, how many people attended FOSS4G in Bucharest this year?

Thanks

Jo
--
Jo Cook
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: How big is OSGeo?

Jachym Cepicky
Hi Jo,

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/All_Members

pá 6. 9. 2019 v 16:08 odesílatel Jo Cook <[hidden email]> napsal:

> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has recently attempted to estimate the size
> (in people) of OSGeo?
> I thought the easiest approach might be to see the number of people
> subscribed to the discuss list. I'm aware it's not going to catch
> everyone, but it seems reasonable as a measure of the community.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Furthermore, how many people attended FOSS4G in Bucharest this year?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jo
> --
> Jo Cook
> t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek
> Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For
> urgent responses at that time, please visit
> support.astuntechnology.com or phone our office on 01372 744009

> products, conferences, events and training*
> *
> *
>
> Astun Technology Ltd, The
> Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
> t:+44 1372 744
> 009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
> <https://twitter.com/astuntech>
>

> iShare - enterprise geographic
> intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
> GeoServer,
> PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>
>
> Helpdesk and customer portal
> <http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>
>

> Company registration
> no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
> Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky gmail com

Re: How big is OSGeo?

jody.garnett
If you check out the yearly AGM slides you can see estimates from a range of sources (OSGeo userid, wiki logins, charter members, etc...).

There are a lot of great folks in the local chapters that are missed in this tally, I really hope the 2019 elections can nominate more of these individuals and honour their contributions.
--
Jody Garnett

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 at 07:08, Jo Cook <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Markus Neteler
On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 4:07 PM Jo Cook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has recently attempted to estimate the size
> (in people) of OSGeo?
> I thought the easiest approach might be to see the number of people
> subscribed to the discuss list.

Here you go :)

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/VisibilityStats#Mailing_list_subscribers

> Furthermore, how many people attended FOSS4G in Bucharest this year?

I think ~ 1040 or so.

Best
Markus

--
Markus Neteler, PhD
https://www.mundialis.de - free data with free software

Re: How big is OSGeo?

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi Jachym,

On Fri, 06. Sep 2019 at 16:21:16 +0200, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/All_Members

> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/All_Members

1210 entries on https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:OSGeo_Member

That's also where wiki's Main_Page points to.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden
GF: Juergen Fischer, Nils Kutscher HR: Amtsgericht Aurich HRB 100827
Datenschutzerklaerung: https://www.norbit.de/83/

Re: How big is OSGeo?

blammo
All,

Related to counting of OSGeo community . . .

I brought this idea up way back when, but it was thought that it was too much effort to realize at the time.  Should there be some thought put into setting up a real membership status for folks, in whatever form, where they recieve an (semi-official?) membership of some sort.  I card, designation, etc or ??   This could be a basic requirement of keeping a local chapter item, too.  The local chapters could promote joining, etc.

Maybe some nominal cost charged back for membership, voted into different levels, Charter, regular, Board, etc . . . .   . . . .

bobb

On Sep 6, 2019, at 9:25 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

Think Before You Click: This email originated outside our organization.

[...]

Thanks for the responses- I was looking for a very loose figure for
the community as a whole, so for my purposes the 33K unique
subscribers to the mailing lists works well. The graphs of charter
members per country from the OSGeo AGM slides are also really helpful.
(Thanks Jorge Sanz).

(FYI I'm not doing science with these figures, it's just some factoids
for the purposes of a talk I'll be giving soon)

Best

Jo

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 4:03 PM Jürgen E. Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jachym,
>
> On Fri, 06. Sep 2019 at 16:21:16 +0200, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> > https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/All_Members
>
> > https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/All_Members
>
> 1210 entries on https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:OSGeo_Member
>
> That's also where wiki's Main_Page points to.
>

> Jürgen
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
> Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de

Jo Cook
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek
Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For
urgent responses at that time, please visit
support.astuntechnology.com or phone our office on 01372 744009

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: How big is OSGeo?

ginetto
IMHO not at all... using mailing list is an "old way" to manage a community. Fortunally or Unfortunally, most of community is using chat channels related with phone numbers (and/or not). I can't figure out if 33k in a ML is ten times community in IRC types channels, but for sure is a bigger community.

Luigi Pirelli

* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
* Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net
members per country from the OSGeo AGM slides are also really helpful.
(Thanks Jorge Sanz).

(FYI I'm not doing science with these figures, it's just some factoids
for the purposes of a talk I'll be giving soon)

Best

Jo

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 4:03 PM Jürgen E. Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jachym,
>
> On Fri, 06. Sep 2019 at 16:21:16 +0200, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> > https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/All_Members
>
> > https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/All_Members
>
> 1210 entries on https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:OSGeo_Member
>
> That's also where wiki's Main_Page points to.
>

> Jürgen
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
> Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de

Jo Cook
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek
Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For
urgent responses at that time, please visit
support.astuntechnology.com or phone our office on 01372 744009

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: How big is OSGeo?

Cameron Shorter

I feel there is a treasure trove of insights into the workings of open source communities within our email lists.

What sort of conversations lead to successful communities? What causes communities to die off?

We have over a decade of archived conversations to draw upon. Any budding researchers out there looking for a really interesting topic?

t:+44 7930 524 155/<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="twitter:@archaeogeek">twitter:@archaeogeek

009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="twitter:@astuntech">twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Re: How big is OSGeo?

geejee

Our Dutch OSGeo-Meetup group (https://www.meetup.com/OSGeoNL/) unites almost 400 people,

But then again, a far as I can notice only Ottawa (125), Belgium (49), Seattle (100) have OSGeo-Meetup groups, so perhaps the rest of the world mainly holds on to the old channels..

Kind regards,

gert-Jan

Op 6-9-2019 om 23:22 schreef Luigi Pirelli:
IMHO not at all... using mailing list is an "old way" to manage a community. Fortunally or Unfortunally, most of community is using chat channels related with phone numbers (and/or not). I can't figure out if 33k in a ML is ten times community in IRC types channels, but for sure is a bigger community.

Luigi Pirelli

* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
* Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net
members per country from the OSGeo AGM slides are also really helpful.
(Thanks Jorge Sanz).

(FYI I'm not doing science with these figures, it's just some factoids
for the purposes of a talk I'll be giving soon)

Best

Jo

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 4:03 PM Jürgen E. Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jachym,
>
> On Fri, 06. Sep 2019 at 16:21:16 +0200, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> > https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/All_Members
>
> > https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/All_Members
>
> 1210 entries on https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:OSGeo_Member
>
> That's also where wiki's Main_Page points to.
>

> Jürgen
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
> Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de

Jo Cook
t:+44 7930 524 155/<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="twitter:@archaeogeek">twitter:@archaeogeek
Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For
urgent responses at that time, please visit
support.astuntechnology.com or phone our office on 01372 744009

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="twitter:@astuntech">twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: How big is OSGeo?

Jorge Sanz
Just for comparison as I happen to maintain three meetups for groups in Spain (kind of microchapters called Geoinquietos[1]), mailing list versus meetup is as follows:

* Valencia: list 71; meetup: 729; telegram: 36
* Seville: list 80; meetup: 899; whatsapp: 16
* Madrid: list: 157; 887; telegram; 61

Still, for me the absolute numbers are not that meaningful. Over the years we have seen a clear migration of the conversation from mailing lists to othe channels: stackoverflow, social media networks, meet up networks, chat rooms and such.

Telegram, for example, is actually where these days most of the Spanish language OSGeo, Geoinquietos, and OSM conversations happen.

Cheers!

On Sat, 7 Sep 2019 at 13:37, Gert-Jan van der Weijden (GISNederland) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Our Dutch OSGeo-Meetup group (https://www.meetup.com/OSGeoNL/) unites almost 400 people,

But then again, a far as I can notice only Ottawa (125), Belgium (49), Seattle (100) have OSGeo-Meetup groups, so perhaps the rest of the world mainly holds on to the old channels..

Kind regards,

gert-Jan

Op 6-9-2019 om 23:22 schreef Luigi Pirelli:
IMHO not at all... using mailing list is an "old way" to manage a community. Fortunally or Unfortunally, most of community is using chat channels related with phone numbers (and/or not). I can't figure out if 33k in a ML is ten times community in IRC types channels, but for sure is a bigger community.

Luigi Pirelli

* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
* Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net
members per country from the OSGeo AGM slides are also really helpful.
(Thanks Jorge Sanz).

(FYI I'm not doing science with these figures, it's just some factoids
for the purposes of a talk I'll be giving soon)

Best

Jo

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 4:03 PM Jürgen E. Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jachym,
>
> On Fri, 06. Sep 2019 at 16:21:16 +0200, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> > https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/All_Members
>
> > https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/All_Members
>
> 1210 entries on https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:OSGeo_Member
>
> That's also where wiki's Main_Page points to.
>

> Jürgen
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
> Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden            https://www.norbit.de

Jo Cook
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek
Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For
urgent responses at that time, please visit
support.astuntechnology.com or phone our office on 01372 744009

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: How big is OSGeo?

delawen

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 7:43 PM Jorge Sanz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just for comparison as I happen to maintain three meetups for groups in Spain (kind of microchapters called Geoinquietos[1]), mailing list versus meetup is as follows:

* Valencia: list 71; meetup: 729; telegram: 36
* Seville: list 80; meetup: 899; whatsapp: 16

As a side note: this Sevilla whatsapp group is more organizational than public due to the privacy problems whatsapp has. So that's not really the number of people participating.

> [...]

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Yeah, sorry or not doing the distinction, the other Telegram groups I mentioned are all open and advertised.

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 at 08:21, María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Sandro Santilli-4
On Fri, Sep 06, 2019 at 03:07:06PM +0100, Jo Cook wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has recently attempted to estimate the size
> (in people) of OSGeo?

Registered OSGeo Users (www.osgeo.org/osgeo_userid) at the moment
are 21,744. You can see number of new registrations per year from:

  https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/VisibilityStats#Number_of_registrations_per_year

--strk;