Hosting options

triplederby100-propos
This may be slightly off topic, but it would be useful to know what kind of hosting solutions people are using to deploy MapGuide applications. What are your experiences with the provider in terms of support, economics, up-time, level of access (dedicated vs non-dedicated), etc? I would appreciate if you guys share your information.

Kaarigar

RE: Hosting options

Andy Morsell
I would look for a dedicated server leasing solution where you have complete control over the software installed and configuration.  This way, you know that someone else's applications aren't going to jeopardize yours.  This is a more expensive option, but would be worth it.  Also, look for an up-time guarantee.  Watch out for clauses in the Service Agreement you sign.  You definitely want an agreement where there is a financial loss to the provider if your site is down, since it is causing you financial loss for you via your clients.  Here is an example of a real clause to avoid:

"A. Provider will utilize its best efforts to maintain acceptable performance of services contracted for, but Provider makes absolutely no warranties whatsoever, express or implied, including warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Provider cannot guarantee continuous service, service at any particular time, or integrity of data stored or transmitted via its system or via the Internet. Provider will not be liable for the inadvertent disclosure of, or corruption or erasure of, data transmitted or received or stored on its system. Provider shall not be liable to Customer for any claims or damages which may be suffered by Customer, including, but not limited to, losses or damages of any and every nature, resulting from the loss of data, inability to access the Internet or inability to transmit or receive information, caused by, or resulting from, delays, non-deliveries or service interruptions whether or not caused by the fault or negligence of Provider."
Also, make sure regular data backups are included as part of your plan.

Sorry that I can't supply recommendations for specific service providers, but these are a few things I've run across in the past.

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
http://www.SpatialGIS.com