Historic Topographic Map Series of Namibia now online

12

Historic Topographic Map Series of Namibia now online

Grant Slater
Hi All,

I am very pleased to say I now have the 1970s / 1980s 1:50k
topographic series of Namibia online:

https://namibia-topo.openstreetmap.org.za/

I was able to purchase scans of 1218 of the required 1221 sheets from
Madmappers.com and run a nearly successful GoFundMe campaign to recoup
costs, which will allow me follow up with other countries:
https://www.gofundme.com/namibian-topographic-maps

If anyone is able to help me get good scans of the following sheets it
would be very much appreciated.

* Sheet 1712CC (missing)
* Sheet 1819BB (missing)
* Sheet 1820AA (missing)
* Sheet 1712BD_Okakora_Ed-1-sgswa_1980 (poor quality scan)
* Sheet 2214CB-DA-Swakopmund_Ed-1-sgswa_1981 (poor quality scan)
* Sheet 2214CD-DC_Walvisbaai_Ed-1-sgswa_1981  (poor quality scan)
* Sheet 2314CB-DA_photomap_Ed-1-sgswa_1980  (poor quality scan)

Any feedback or comment?

Any recommendations on which country to try next? Any help greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Grant

Re: Historic Topographic Map Series of Namibia now online

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

Wow that is really cool! I was able to easily add the Nambia toposheet tiles to QGIS 3.x using this XYZ Connection URL:

@Grant any chance you can make the non map areas transparent instead of black?

Regards

Tim

On 08 Jan 2019, at 13:10, Grant Slater <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Historic Topographic Map Series of Namibia now online

Hester Badenhorst
Hi Grant, Great Job, and also that you managed to get funding!

What about Zimbabwe? Things are sure to start developing there...

Hester

Hester Badenhorst (Spatial Analyst, BT&RP:UP)

SAPI Corporate Member: 12561
GISSA Member: YSXB-7421

Cell: 083 244 3837  -  Fax: 27112527219
Postnet Suite 402; Private Bag X025; Lynnwood Ridge; 0040

Landuse Survey App

  Click Click Survey Done!

ScoutMaster is a Web Mapping and Land use Survey application integrating mapping, data visualisation and project collaboration for land use survey teams in South Africa. ScoutMaster offers productivity tools for teams doing land use surveys in the Republic of South Africa.

Disclaimer
This e-mail is intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you have received it in error please notify us immediately by return e-mail or by telephone +27 (0)82 467 5110 and delete the e-mail. You may not copy, distribute, disclose or take any action in reliance on it. While we take reasonable precautions to minimise the risk of an attachment containing computer viruses this possibility still exists. We cannot accept liability for any damage which you may sustain as a result of a software virus. We recommend that you carry out your own virus checks before opening an attachment. We do not accept responsibility for any amendments made to any attached documents without our approval. We do not accept responsibility for private or personal messages e-mailed from our domain.

________________________________

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 1:11 PM Grant Slater <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi  Tim,

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, 11:53 Tim Sutton <[hidden email] wrote:
Hi

Wow that is really cool! I was able to easily add the Nambia toposheet tiles to QGIS 3.x using this XYZ Connection URL:

Great. I am more than happy for others to use this service in QGIS. Brilliant that QGIS now natively support TMS/XYZ tiles.

@Grant any chance you can make the non map areas transparent instead of black?

Good idea, I will update shortly.

Despite the file extension being .png I currently generate JPEG tiles. I use mapserver under the hood to dynamically generate the tiles with nginx acting as a front-end and cache layer. I see that mapserver 7.2+ has the option of automatically falling back to PNG when there is an alpha channel, I will give this a go.

Mapserver is via fastcgi. Maybe I should do mini write-up on how it runs with a working docker example. More than happy to share config.

Kind regards,

Grant

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

KartozaNewLogoThumbnail.jpg (8K) Download Attachment

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, 12:25 Hester Badenhorst <[hidden email] wrote:
Hi Grant, Great Job, and also that you managed to get funding!

Thank you. The funding drive I ran was a gamble... But has thankfully worked quite well and I have no uncomfortable large financial disclosures to make to my partner ;-)

What about Zimbabwe? Things are sure to start developing there...

I would like to create a similar site for Zimbabwe.

Can you tell me more? What historic/modern Topo sets are available? Who might have them? Anyone in particular I should speak to? Is there a way to get complete national coverage?

Kind regards,

Grant

[...]

Unfortunately I have no info regarding Zim maps, but maybe somebody else on the forum might?

Kind regards,

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 9:12 PM Grant Slater <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Immo Blecher

Thank you Grant,

Nice work!!!

@Tim: Any idea how to get the South African version working  on QGIS. I tried https://htonl.dev.openstreetmap.org/ngi-tiles/tiles/50k/{z}/{x}/{y}.png but it does not work. I guess I'm doing something wrong.

I would love to get more people to see the good work and maybe contribute/donate to the project (QGIS list).

Regards

Immo

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Immo F. Blecher
Street:
36 Saffraan Ave., Die Boord, Stellenbosch, 7613, South Africa
Postal: PO Box 74, Lynedoch, 7603, South Africa
Cell: +27 83 272 6791 | Fax: +27 86 736 3302 Email: [hidden email] | [hidden email] | [hidden email]
Internet: http://www.blecher.co.za/

Contact me: [hidden email] immoblecher

Please consider your environmental responsibility. Before printing this e-mail message, ask yourself whether you really need a hard copy.

On 08 Jan 2019, at 21:01, Grant Slater <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi  Tim,

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, 11:53 Tim Sutton <[hidden email] wrote:
Hi

Wow that is really cool! I was able to easily add the Nambia toposheet tiles to QGIS 3.x using this XYZ Connection URL:

Great. I am more than happy for others to use this service in QGIS. Brilliant that QGIS now natively support TMS/XYZ tiles.

Oh its not new, QGIS supports XYZ from somewhere in 2.x.

@Grant any chance you can make the non map areas transparent instead of black?

Good idea, I will update shortly.

Despite the file extension being .png I currently generate JPEG tiles. I use mapserver under the hood to dynamically generate the tiles with nginx acting as a front-end and cache layer. I see that mapserver 7.2+ has the option of automatically falling back to PNG when there is an alpha channel, I will give this a go.

Thanks so much!

Mapserver is via fastcgi. Maybe I should do mini write-up on how it runs with a working docker example. More than happy to share config.

Yes that would be great! So you don’t pre-seed all the tiles like I think you did for the NGI imager?

Regards

Tim

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Historic Topographic Map Series of Namibia now online

Tim Sutton-6
Hi Immo and others interested:

I made a little blog post showing how to add the NGI toposheets and the Nambia toposheets to QGIS here:

Regards

Tim

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Historic Topographic Map Series of Namibia now online

CJ Sikasula

Thanks

Chaila Joshua Sikasula MSc. GIS, MBA, RPAS Pilot, GPr GISc 1431

Principal Geospatial Consultant

2nd Floor, Building 1, Golder House

Maxwell Office Park,

Magwa Crescent West

Waterfall City

Midrand

E:     [hidden email]

T:      +27110567591

M:    +27786588439

www.cjandsconsultants.com

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

Re: Historic Topographic Map Series of Namibia now online

Immo Blecher

Thank you Tim,

The Namibia XYZ works perfectly but the South Africa does not show anything...empty. I am on Ubuntu 18.04 and QGIS 3.4.3.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Immo

On 2019/01/09 12:10, Tim Sutton wrote:
Hi Immo and others interested:

I made a little blog post showing how to add the NGI toposheets and the Nambia toposheets to QGIS here:

Regards

Tim

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux

Re: Historic Topographic Map Series of Namibia now online

Grant Slater
Hi Immo,

Make sure the last bit of the URL is correct...
https://htonl.dev.openstreetmap.org/ngi-tiles/tiles/50k/{z}/{x}/{-y}.png

NOTE the {-y} not {y}

The reason for the difference is the TMS for the Namibian use top left
origin (more commonly known as XYZ), while the South African use
bottom left origin.

I do plan on fixing the South Africa ones to use the XYZ standard
format at a later stage, but low priority at the moment.

Kind regards,

Grant

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 10:44, Immo Blecher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Tim,
>
> The Namibia XYZ works perfectly but the South Africa does not show anything...empty. I am on Ubuntu 18.04 and QGIS 3.4.3.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Regards
>
> Immo
>
> On 2019/01/09 12:10, Tim Sutton wrote:
>
> Hi Immo and others interested:
>
> I made a little blog post showing how to add the NGI toposheets and the Nambia toposheets to QGIS here:
>
> http://kartoza.com/en/blog/how-to-easily-add-south-african-and-namibian-toposheets-as-xyz-tiles-to-qgis/
>
> Regards
>
> Tim
>

> —
>

> Tim Sutton
>
> Co-founder: Kartoza
> Ex Project chair: QGIS.org
>
> Visit http://kartoza.com to find out about open source:
>
> Desktop GIS programming services
> Geospatial web development
> GIS Training
> Consulting Services
>
> Skype: timlinux
> IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

> Immo F. Blecher
> Street: 36 Saffraan Ave., Die Boord, Stellenbosch, 7613, South Africa
> Postal: PO Box 74, Lynedoch, 7603, South Africa
> Cell: +27 83 272 6791 | Fax: +27 86 736 3302 Email: [hidden email] | [hidden email] | [hidden email]
> Internet: http://www.blecher.co.za/
>
> Contact me: [hidden email] immoblecher
>
> Please consider your environmental responsibility. Before printing this e-mail message, ask yourself whether you really need a hard copy.
>
> IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential. They are intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.

Re: Historic Topographic Map Series of Namibia now online

Immo Blecher

Hi Grant,

Yes, that's exactly what I have: {-y}. Anyone else with that problem?

Immo

On 2019/01/09 12:56, Grant Slater wrote:
[...]

OK, I got it,

You have to open another layer with a projection first, e.g. South African outline or something.

Then you add the XYZ tiles. If you start a new project with only the XYZ tiles then they don't show, even if you zoom to layer...I think this is a projection issue (and the {-y}).

Maybe something worth knowing!

Regards and thanks again

[...]

Tshwane Landuse data

Hester Badenhorst
Dear Members,

Where can I find or who can I contact for landuse data of City of Tshwane? Do they have a field for landuse on their valuation roll?  Is this available to the public in spreadsheet or shapefile format?

Kind regards,
Hester

Hester Badenhorst (Spatial Analyst, BT&RP:UP)

Also, we are excited about the Position IT publication of an article on our ScoutMaster App -  land use survey  that was done for Ekurhuleni and Mogale City...check it out at  Position IT article

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 1:26 PM Immo Blecher <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: Tshwane Landuse data

Hugo Paul

Hi Hester

If you have an ArcGIS license, the latest Tshwane data is available on the ArcGIS online spatial portal.

Regards

Hugo

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

[...]

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and automatically archived by Mimecast SA (Pty) Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business. Mimecast Unified Email Management ™ (UEM) offers email continuity, security, archiving and compliance with all current legislation. To find out more, contact Mimecast.

GIS Township Data for SA

Charles Gayi-2

Good Day,

I am looking for GIs Township data for the whole of SA.

Regards,

Charles

blocked.gif (164 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: GIS Township Data for SA

Theo Phiri
Hi
have try CSG data, the allotment townships.