Help!!!!!!

Akin Ozturk
I have help related to follwing topics
1 - http://localhost:8080/geoserver/data/generated/cite_Forests.html this is not working sometimes not sometimes every time
2- How can I use GeoServer with an image file(jpeg, gif) as backround, I want to addshapefile on this bacground file
3- After create a shape file, when I use it with GeoServer,  I can insert an icon in this file dynamically
4-can I  use GeoServer without using shapefile
5- is there any more simple open source program written java or jsp
6- I want to write a simple web based program that show an image as background and user select layer(city name, road name..) . and  user can zoom in zoom out to final image and also I want to write a text on the image- insert an icon with desired coordinate. I am new GIS, GeoServer, and shapefile as result SHOULD I USE GEOSERVER OR TRY TO WRÝTE SÝMPLE PROGRAM.

PLEASE HELP ME! THANKS EVERYBODY

Re: Help!!!!!!

Justin Deoliveira-3
Hi Akin,

Akin Ozturk wrote:

> I have help related to follwing topics
> 1 -
> http://localhost:8080/geoserver/data/generated/cite_Forests.html this is
> not working sometimes not sometimes every time
Which version of geoserver are you using, we will have to look into this
one.

> 2- How can I use GeoServer with an image file(jpeg, gif) as backround, I
> want to addshapefile on this bacground file
Geoserver can serve up image data via WMS. Shapefiles or any other
vector data is served up with the WFS. You need a viewer that can
support both. I recomment udig, its got good support for both and alot
of great documentation.
> 3- After create a shape file, when I use it with GeoServer,  I can
> insert an icon in this file dynamically
Not sure if I quite understand this one but my immediate answer is not
with geoserver. More fancier stuff like this is typically done in
geotools (its the underlying library on which geoserver is built).
> 4-can I  use GeoServer without using shapefile
Yes, Its all about how you configure the server. Geoserver supports many
differnt data backends: Files (shapefile), databases (PostGIS, Oracle),
etc...
> 5- is there any more simple open source program written java or jsp
I dont know of any other servers that are open-source and java based.
However there are lots of clients. uDig, qGIS, JUMP, gv-sig
> 6- I want to write a simple web based program that show an image as
> background and user select layer(city name, road name..) . and  user can
> zoom in zoom out to final image and also I want to write a text on the
> image- insert an icon with desired coordinate. I am new GIS, GeoServer,
> and shapefile as result SHOULD I USE GEOSERVER OR TRY TO WRÝTE SÝMPLE
> PROGRAM.

It sounds like geoserver can do half of the job for you, it can store
your data and allow you to edit it, etc... But to do the client side
manipulation you will have to do some custom stuff on the clients. Many
of the java clients employ plug-in architectures that allow these kinds
of things to be done easily. Again, check out udig.
> PLEASE HELP ME! THANKS EVERYBODY

I hope I answered all of your questions.

Justin

--
Justin Deoliveira
The Open Planning Project

Re: Help!!!!!!

Alex Petkov

2- How can I use GeoServer with an image file(jpeg, gif) as backround, I want to addshapefile on this bacground file

You can download and compile the WCS branch of Geoserver, georeference your background image and add it as a Coverage.

5- is there any more simple open source program written java or jsp
6- I want to write a simple web based program that show an image as background and user select layer(city name, road name..) . and  user can zoom in zoom out to final image and also I want to write a text on the image- insert an icon with desired coordinate. I am new GIS, GeoServer, and shapefile as result SHOULD I USE GEOSERVER OR TRY TO WRÝTE SÝMPLE PROGRAM.

Check out quickWMS and MapBuilder.  They are javascrpit-based interfaces for displaying interactive maps(zoom, pan, select/deselect layers, etc).

Both come with Geoserver.

Alex

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc. Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005 Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more information _______________________________________________ Geoserver-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users