Help developing a project proposal for QGIS translation

Help developing a project proposal for QGIS translation

Craig Dsouza
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hi Werner and others,
We're from the Datameet group, Pune chapter. We are frequent users of QGIS and we've been having discussions with grassroots organisations who are helping people map their village community owned lands in Maharashtra, India. In the discussions we've put forward the idea for coming up with a local Marathi version of QGIS and hence writing a project proposal for this localization.

We are helping with developing this project proposal, hence would like to discuss here what that would involve in terms of people required and an understanding of the challenges. As we understand it, there are about 18000 terms that would need to be translated, using Transifex. This includes terms from the software itself but also the documentation and tutorials.

It is likely that the translator we get would know the local language (Marathi) but know nothing about QGIS. In addition to him/her, we would also have one person from the grassroots NGO and also Datameet review the translations. In this process it is likely that the Datameet volunteer would sign up to use Transifex and we would send the translator a document with all words that need to be translated.

Do let us know if this workflow makes sense, also any estimate of costs that will be involved to use Transifex? and any other challenges we may have not thought about

Best
Craig

Re: Help developing a project proposal for QGIS translation

Richard Duivenvoorde
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hi Craig,

Marathi (mr) as languages is already created:

https://www.transifex.com/qgis/QGIS/language/mr/  (0% translated)

So your translators should just create a free login at transifex, and
then ask to become a member of the 'mr'-translation team. Both Werner
and 1 other person is 'coordinating' that team. If you need help, plz
ping on this list.

For more info, see:
https://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/translate.html?highlight=translating#id1

The language will be incorporated in offical builds when more then ??
25% ?? is translated or so. But by downloading the ts file, you can use
Linguist to create the qm file which you then can use in a local QGIS.

About the translators, QGIS if off course a technical application with a
lot of geo-words. Not sure if somebody with no geo-background is able to
create a sensible translation. But off course a lot of common words are
also to be translated.

Good luck!

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

On 06-12-17 16:41, Craig Dsouza wrote:

> Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/
>

> Hi Werner and others,
> We're from the Datameet <http://datameet.org/> group, Pune chapter. We
> are frequent users of QGIS and we've been having discussions with
> grassroots organisations who are helping people map their village
> community owned lands in Maharashtra, India. In the discussions we've
> put forward the idea for coming up with a local Marathi version of QGIS
> and hence writing a project proposal for this localization.
>
> We are helping with developing this project proposal, hence would like
> to discuss here what that would involve in terms of people required and
> an understanding of the challenges. As we understand it, there are about
> 18000 terms that would need to be translated, using Transifex. This
> includes terms from the software itself but also the documentation and
> tutorials.
>
> It is likely that the translator we get would know the local language
> (Marathi) but know nothing about QGIS. In addition to him/her, we would
> also have one person from the grassroots NGO and also Datameet review
> the translations. In this process it is likely that the Datameet
> volunteer would sign up to use Transifex and we would send the
> translator a document with all words that need to be translated.
>
> Do let us know if this workflow makes sense, also any estimate of costs
> that will be involved to use Transifex? and any other challenges we may
> have not thought about
>
> Best
> Craig
>
> --
> My Blog: unravellingindia.in <http://unravellingindia.in>

Re: Help developing a project proposal for QGIS translation

Craig Dsouza
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hi Richard,
That's great, thanks!
True a translator with experience in geo would have been great but given the size of the word set it would have been difficult for us to take it on ourselves. Hence we're hoping us editing the translated word list may work.
I didn't see the Marathi version when I looked for it. Do you know if the people who initiated it are still active?

Best
Craig

On Thursday, December 7, 2017, Richard Duivenvoorde <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Craig,

Marathi (mr) as languages is already created:

https://www.transifex.com/qgis/QGIS/language/mr/  (0% translated)

So your translators should just create a free login at transifex, and
then ask to become a member of the 'mr'-translation team. Both Werner
and 1 other person is 'coordinating' that team. If you need help, plz
ping on this list.

For more info, see:
https://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/translate.html?highlight=translating#id1

The language will be incorporated in offical builds when more then ??
25% ?? is translated or so. But by downloading the ts file, you can use
Linguist to create the qm file which you then can use in a local QGIS.

About the translators, QGIS if off course a technical application with a
lot of geo-words. Not sure if somebody with no geo-background is able to
create a sensible translation. But off course a lot of common words are
also to be translated.

Good luck!

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

On 06-12-17 16:41, Craig Dsouza wrote:
> Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/
>

> Hi Werner and others,
> We're from the Datameet <http://datameet.org/> group, Pune chapter. We
> are frequent users of QGIS and we've been having discussions with
> grassroots organisations who are helping people map their village
> community owned lands in Maharashtra, India. In the discussions we've
> put forward the idea for coming up with a local Marathi version of QGIS
> and hence writing a project proposal for this localization.
>
> We are helping with developing this project proposal, hence would like
> to discuss here what that would involve in terms of people required and
> an understanding of the challenges. As we understand it, there are about
> 18000 terms that would need to be translated, using Transifex. This
> includes terms from the software itself but also the documentation and
> tutorials.
>
> It is likely that the translator we get would know the local language
> (Marathi) but know nothing about QGIS. In addition to him/her, we would
> also have one person from the grassroots NGO and also Datameet review
> the translations. In this process it is likely that the Datameet
> volunteer would sign up to use Transifex and we would send the
> translator a document with all words that need to be translated.
>
> Do let us know if this workflow makes sense, also any estimate of costs
> that will be involved to use Transifex? and any other challenges we may
> have not thought about
>
> Best
> Craig
>
> --
> My Blog: unravellingindia.in <http://unravellingindia.in>

Re: Help developing a project proposal for QGIS translation

macho
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Hi Craig,

Richard already pretty much summed it ip.
If there is no repsonse from the current maintainer within 2 weeks than it is time to change the maintainer ;)

If you'd like to jump in - you are more than welcome to do so.

I think there is no more to add for me except to say thank you.

If you need anything just drop us a note.

regards
Werner

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 4:41 PM, Craig Dsouza <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Kari Salovaara
Transifex Webtranslation page for QGIS is on https://www.transifex.com/qgis/

Dear Werner,

I'm coordinator to a language, I've got 2 new translators/notifications that 2 persons want to join as translators.
But when I go to title "add ..." my only possibility is to send somewhere a message of my opinion of these persons/their skills?
So the first one is already 2 weeks and 3 days old, do You like to change me away?

I think Transifex has "updated" the system (or You and Richard have changed something?) as the system is not functional anymore.
(I don't want to have any foreign translators to our language as then we have to translate that part once again)

So the problem: coordinator does not have anymore rights to add translators or reviewers.

Cheers, Kari

Werner Macho kirjoitti 7.12.2017 klo 10:15:
[...]

Hi Kari,

Thanks for your message.
As I did not change anything (and I assume Richard did not do anything either) it must be a new "feature" from transifex.
Going to take a look today evening what has changed and if there are any new rights to give.

regards
Werner

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Kari Salovaara <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

either You did something or I did something correctly but I managed to add those new slaves to workforce. ;)
So everything seems to be correct (despite there seems to be some development since I last time added persons).

Lets continue the translation ...

Cheers, Kari