Help building a tile cache from a large dataset of orthophotos

Help building a tile cache from a large dataset of orthophotos

Connors, Bernie (SNB)

We have a data set of orthophotos.  The specs are:

·         51,971 images, (1.92 Terabytes total)

·         30 cm GSD

·         Cut in 2km x 2km grid

·         No overlap between images

We are an ESRI shop and we are using version 9.31 on the desktop and the server.  We do not have the ESRI Image server extension.  To build a tile cache from the orthophotos we need to store the orthophoto data in an ESRI Raster data set.  This is proving to be very slow and problematic.  We have done this successfully in the past but with an older and smaller dataset (2000 images, 200 GB, 1 m GSD).

Can somebody suggest an open source tool that can produce a tile cache that can be consumed by ArcGIS server 9.3.1?

Thanks,

Bernie.

--

Bernie Connors, P.Eng

Manager – Spatial Data Infrastructure

Land Information Secretariat

Service New Brunswick

Tel: 506-444-2077 Fax: 506-453-3898

45°56'25.21"N, 66°38'53.65"W

[hidden email]

www.snb.ca/geonb/

Re: Help building a tile cache from a large dataset of orthophotos

Sam Vekemans
Hi,
Koordinates.com offers hosting of orthophotos on their servers (as
they do for Land Information New Zealand),
there is also an API option available.
I don't know the detils, you'll just need to ask the developers of it.

cheers,
Sam

--
---
Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
Skype: 'Sam Vekemans'

Member, CommonMap Inc.  http://commonmap.org/
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #CommonMap
Also find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn

RE: Help building a tile cache from a large dataset of orthophotos

Connors, Bernie (SNB)
Sam,

    Thanks for the info but I must host the images on our own servers.

Bernie.
--
Bernie Connors, P.Eng
Service New Brunswick

Koordinates.com offers hosting of orthophotos on their servers (as
they do for Land Information New Zealand),
there is also an API option available.
I don't know the detils, you'll just need to ask the developers of it.

cheers,
Sam

On 6/10/11, Connors, Bernie (SNB) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a data set of orthophotos.  The specs are:
>
> ·         51,971 images, (1.92 Terabytes total)
>
> ·         30 cm GSD
>
> ·         Cut in 2km x 2km grid
>
> ·         No overlap between images
>
> We are an ESRI shop and we are using version 9.31 on the desktop and the
> server.  We do not have the ESRI Image server extension.  To build a tile
> cache from the orthophotos we need to store the orthophoto data in an ESRI
> Raster data set.  This is proving to be very slow and problematic.  We have
> done this successfully in the past but with an older and smaller dataset
> (2000 images, 200 GB, 1 m GSD).
>
> Can somebody suggest an open source tool that can produce a tile cache that
> can be consumed by ArcGIS server 9.3.1?
>
> Thanks,
> Bernie.
> --
> Bernie Connors, P.Eng
> Manager - Spatial Data Infrastructure
> Land Information Secretariat
> Service New Brunswick
> Tel: 506-444-2077 Fax: 506-453-3898
> 45°56'25.21"N, 66°38'53.65"W
> [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
> www.snb.ca/geonb/<http://www.snb.ca/geonb/>

--
---
Across Canada Trails - Beyond 2017 - The National Trails Network
Victoria, BC Canada

Twitter: @Acrosscanada
Blog: http://acrosscanadatrails.posterous.com/
Skype: 'Sam Vekemans'

Member, CommonMap Inc.  http://commonmap.org/
IRC: irc://irc.oftc.net #CommonMap
Also find us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn

Re: Help building a tile cache from a large dataset of orthophotos

jmckenna
Administrator
Hello Bernie,

If you setup your Arc service as a WMS server, there are several open
solutions available:

- mod-geocache (http://code.google.com/p/mod-geocache/)
   - Apache module written in C
   - excellent! I've recently fallen in love with this
   - fast, easy to setup
   - in fact the MapServer project steering committee
(www.mapserver.org), which I am a part of, recently decided to embed
this project in its future releases (it just makes sense!)

- MapProxy (http://mapproxy.org/)
   - python-based
   - newer on the scene, I haven't played with this yet

- TileCache (http://tilecache.org/)
   - also python-based
   - I'm not really a huge fan of this, having done this for clients
before  (very tricky)

- GeoWebCache (http://geowebcache.org/)
   - Java-based
   - I don't live in the Java world personally

There are more, but this will get you started.  If you need any
professional support please contact my team directly at an time.

Thanks for this discussion!

PS.

Great to see the use of this Atlantic Canada mailing list for questions
like this - this is exactly what I hoped for this group, a way to help
orgs and individuals learn Open Source geospatial together.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

On 11-06-10 9:34 AM, Connors, Bernie (SNB) wrote:

> We have a data set of orthophotos.  The specs are:
>
> ·51,971 images, (1.92 Terabytes total)
>
> ·30 cm GSD
>
> ·Cut in 2km x 2km grid
>
> ·No overlap between images
>
> We are an ESRI shop and we are using version 9.31 on the desktop and the
> server.  We do not have the ESRI Image server extension.  To build a
> tile cache from the orthophotos we need to store the orthophoto data in
> an ESRI Raster data set.  This is proving to be very slow and
> problematic.  We have done this successfully in the past but with an
> older and smaller dataset (2000 images, 200 GB, 1 m GSD).
>
> Can somebody suggest an open source tool that can produce a tile cache
> that can be consumed by ArcGIS server 9.3.1?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bernie.
>
> --
>
> *Bernie Connors, P.Eng*
>
> *Manager – Spatial Data Infrastructure*
>
> Land Information Secretariat
>
> Service New Brunswick
>
> Tel: 506-444-2077 Fax: 506-453-3898
>
> 45°56'25.21"N, 66°38'53.65"W
>
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> www.snb.ca/geonb/ <http://www.snb.ca/geonb/>

Re: Help building a tile cache from a large dataset of orthophotos

Timothy Astle
Is there a way to seed the cache for high-use areas (cities, towns) and let the cache fill up for the other areas on-demand?

I'm not sure about the limitations of ESRI's solution, but I think regenerating tiles for the entire province for all of your layers may be overkill if you have a fairly frequent update frequency.

Some of the Open Source solutions that Jeff M. mentioned allow for on-demand caching.  Perhaps ESRI didn't support that kind of thing in that version of the software?

Cheers!

Tim

On 10/06/2011 9:34 AM, Connors, Bernie (SNB) wrote:

[...]

Timothy Astle, BCS
Web Development Manager
CARIS
115 Waggoners Lane
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Canada    E3B 2L4
Tel: +1.506.458.8533     Fax: +1.506.459.3849
www.caris.com

Connect with CARIS
Twitter LinkedIn FaceBook YouTube

Download your free copy of CARIS Easy View today!
www.caris.com/easyview

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) please notify us by email reply. You should not use, disclose, distribute or copy this communication if received in error.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. No binding contract will result from this email until such time as a written document is signed on behalf of the company.