Hello From Pennsylvania

William McGullam

Good Morning,

My name is Bill McGullam and I recently subscribed to the QGIS mailing lists for USA. I am a total newbie when it comes to working with any of this, I ended up with QGIS a month ago while in search of a better program for me to create custom maps and have been learning through trial and error (many errors haha)

      QGIS is way more advanced than I had ever thought while I was downloading the program and waiting on the install. After a month or so of YouTube videos and "googling" things to get me along, but I am accepting defeat and accepting the fact that I need some guidance here!

      I've got a map with a few layers (waterways, grasses, fields, roads etc..) and I have been trying to import this to my phone using QField and I tried using the app LocustGIS as well but I cannot figure out where I'm going wrong. I haven't had enough time to learn it and the file I've created would be fantastic to have on my phone this week. I will leave a link at the bottom to the file/s via Google drive and if I'm missing something perhaps someone can walk me through it once.

     I've read some the 3.4 user guide and seen many YouTube videos but does anyone know of a good place or website or books.. heck I'll even take classes to learn this program, just seeing what other people do in the area of work has me at 30 years old considering changing my career path!

    Thanks for reading my novel and thanks in advance to anyone that helps shed some light here for me.

Cheer!

William McGullam

^^ Link is 100% safe, I don't know if we have rules against links like some forums can so Ill apologize now ^^

Re: Hello From Pennsylvania

Silas Mathes
Bill,

If you just need a quick custom field map on your phone and you're not collecting much data, I would recommend using the Avenza PDF maps app (it's free for up to 3 active maps).

The workflow is to make a map in QGIS and export it as a PDF or GeoTiff (I just tested my QGIS 3.4.4 install and it now exports georeferenced PDFs).  Email the map to yourself and open it up on your phone as you normally would view any PDF file.  One of the options under the rectangle-arrow icon on the bottom left will be to copy to Avenza Maps. From there, the app is pretty intuitive.

The Avenza app will let you collect some waypoints that can be emailed as Google Earth KMLs and brought back into QGIS.  If you're doing extensive data collection, there are better options.  Maybe others could chime in with their favorite tools?

Hope this helps,

Silas Mathes