Heads-up: plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

Heads-up: plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Board,

There are some back-channel talks going on regarding the idea of an
OGC/OSGeo Board meetup in Nottingham.  Please see the note from Jeremy
Morley below, who is trying to make this happen.

This is the latest info I have.  Note that it looks to be tentatively
the Wednesday night (18th), the same night as the ice-breaker.

Of course this is hard to plan as we don't even have the new OSGeo board
selected yet.

But this is a heads-up warning.   Maybe Jeremy can let us know of any
updates.

-jeff

On 2013-08-21 7:08 AM, Jeremy Morley wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> At present the plan is that the meeting of the boards is over dinner on
> Wednesday night, to be hosted at the Orchard Hotel's restaurant, right by
> the EMCC.  OGC were wondering about a drinks & nibbles reception as an
> alternative but I've not made that change so far.
>
> The OGC Board are having their main meeting on the Thursday, pretty much
> all day, nearby on Campus.
>
> Note that we have spare meeting room capacity to organise side meetings,
> such as for the OSGeo board, but some advance notice would help.
>
> Regards,
> Jeremy

Re: Heads-up: plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for this update.  I have removed all of the other CC'd people for
now, as we discuss this in the Board.

To confirm, this is for Wed the 18th at 7pm (same time as the ice
breaker). ?

Board: can current members show if they are interested in attending this?

re: payment for the dinner: I still do not have signing privileges for
OSGeo (I believe it is Tyler and Daniel?).  I am not sure how the
payment would happen, or, even if all Board members approve the use of
funds for this.   Thoughts all?

re: number of people: it could be possible to have around 8 OSGeo Board
members present.  (if they didn't already buy ice breaker tickets)

AGI invite: makes sense to me, pending the OSGeo Board is interested in
this.

My general thoughts are that it is important to bring together the OGC
and OSGeo.  I wonder if we should set aside a few tables at the ice
breaker, and mingle there together?  (I am hesitant to request funding
from the board for this, so maybe we could do it inside the ice breaker
instead?)

Thoughts?

-jeff

On 2013-09-03 12:28 PM, Jeremy Morley wrote:

> [...]
> 4 the OGC have suggested that we invite representatives from the
> Association for Geographic Information (the AGI), the local UK GIS
> industry organisation. If there are no objections from OSGeo in the next
> day I'll extend that invite before the weekend. The AGI GeoCommunity
> conference closes at the end of the afternoon that day and has been
> designed to be back-to-back with FOSS4G.
>
> Regards,
> Jeremy
>
> -- ------------------------------------------------------------ --
> Jeremy Morley
> Geospatial Science Theme Leader, Nottingham Geospatial Institute,
> Triumph Road, University of Nottingham. NG7 2TU, United Kingdom.
> Web:   http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ngi     Twitter: jeremy_morley
> Tel.:  +44/0 115 84 68411
> Email: [hidden email]
>

> On 29/08/2013 19:34, "Jeff McKenna" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Board,
>>
>> There are some back-channel talks going on regarding the idea of an
>> OGC/OSGeo Board meetup in Nottingham.  Please see the note from Jeremy
>> Morley below, who is trying to make this happen.
>>
>> This is the latest info I have.  Note that it looks to be tentatively
>> the Wednesday night (18th), the same night as the ice-breaker.
>>
>> Of course this is hard to plan as we don't even have the new OSGeo board
>> selected yet.
>>
>> But this is a heads-up warning.   Maybe Jeremy can let us know of any
>> updates.
>>
>> -jeff
>>

>> On 2013-08-21 7:08 AM, Jeremy Morley wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> At present the plan is that the meeting of the boards is over dinner on
>>> Wednesday night, to be hosted at the Orchard Hotel's restaurant, right
>>> by
>>> the EMCC.  OGC were wondering about a drinks & nibbles reception as an
>>> alternative but I've not made that change so far.
>>>
>>> The OGC Board are having their main meeting on the Thursday, pretty much
>>> all day, nearby on Campus.
>>>
>>> Note that we have spare meeting room capacity to organise side meetings,
>>> such as for the OSGeo board, but some advance notice would help.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Jeremy
>

> This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

> may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.

Re: Heads-up: plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

Daniel Morissette
On 13-09-03 4:00 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> My general thoughts are that it is important to bring together the OGC
> and OSGeo.  I wonder if we should set aside a few tables at the ice
> breaker, and mingle there together?  (I am hesitant to request funding
> from the board for this, so maybe we could do it inside the ice breaker
> instead?)

I am already signed up for the Ice Breaker, so my personal preference
would be to avoid planning a conflicting activity, but that's only a
selfish preference and I will make the meeting if everybody else goes.

With respect to payment, if the board approves the expense then I can
handle the technicalities (but that would require a board decision
first, and there should be a set limit on the expense).

Will the OGC board members still be around on Thursday the 19th? The
plenary only starts at 10am (see
http://2013.foss4g.org/conf/programme/daily/1/), so perhaps we could
meet for breakfast, or even in a corner of the conference center's
plenary room or registration area?

Another option could be to hold an OGC/OSGeo BOF where all board members
from both parties are encouraged to participate (assuming OGC board
members are still around), and then that would have the added benefit of
being more inclusive and community members could also participate, not
just the boards. Actually, I see that there is already an "OGC/OSGeo
meetup" planned for the 20th:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2013_BirdsOfAFeather#OGC.2FOSGeo_meet_up

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/

Re: Heads-up: plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

Jachym Cepicky
Hi,

Dne 4.9.2013 04:01, Daniel Morissette napsal(a):
> On 13-09-03 4:00 PM, Jeff McKenna wrote:

> I am already signed up for the Ice Breaker, so my personal preference
> would be to avoid planning a conflicting activity, but that's only a
> selfish preference and I will make the meeting if everybody else goes.

Same here

just noting (who knows, what happen till FOSS4G)

Jachym

--
Jachym Cepicky
jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
http://les-ejk.cz
PGP: http://les-ejk.cz/pgp/JachymCepicky.pgp

Re: Heads-up: plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Jeremy, Board,

Oh ok, I didn't know that you are not on the Board list.

I myself don't have a ticket for the ice breaker, so I am confirmed.
Including Daniel and Frank (emailed me directly), we'll likely have
between 4 and 8 OSGeo Board members there.  I also want to include
Arnulf, who has been a constant driving force between uniting OGC-OSGeo.
(Jachym, I'm not forgetting your potential inclusion either)

I would say to reserve a table for 20 (12 OGC Board members, plus
roughly 8 OSGeo reps).

I would then estimate a cost of roughly 35pounds each (inc a drink, and
tip), which would mean approx 1100 USD (or 550 USD each for OSGeo and
the OGC).

If the Board is interested, I would make a motion to approve the use of
$550 maximum for an OGC-OSGeo meetup.

General reaction by the Board?

As Daniel pointed out, there is already an OGC-OSGeo meetup planned for
Friday morning (I was already confirmed for attending that):
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2013_BirdsOfAFeather#OGC.2FOSGeo_meet_up
 It could be that the OSGeo Board decides as a group to attend that, and
not set aside funding for a separate meetup.

Speak up as Jeremy needs our thoughts now.

-jeff

On 2013-09-03 8:21 PM, Jeremy Morley wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Note that I'm not on the board mailing list so it may be only you who saw
> the original email - it may be useful to be able to post to the list for
> this conversation, otherwise please relay my messages.
>

> Anyway, yes, the current plan is that there's this relatively formal
> get-together with the OGC board (12 of them, I think) at 7pm on the
> Wednesday (18th) as a dinner in the hotel restaurant. The cost is £24/head
> for the three course meal, drinks additional, but including VAT (our sales
> tax).
>
> There is the FOSS4G ice breaker at the same time - I don't know (meaning I
> don't know, rather than "I don't think it is") if this is the sort of the
> thing the OGC Board would want to attend. The OGC guys aren't registered
> at the conference generally (their meeting is separate on the Thursday)
> and so they'd have to buy ice breaker tickets (as would you guys). There
> was also some suggestion of a half-way house of a drinks reception for the
> two (or three including AGI) groups.
>
> In the end I'm pretty neutral about this. It seems to me that for a formal
> "meeting of minds" such as this it does really need to be done in a more
> private space than the ice breaker to allow discussion to properly happen.
> The aim isn't just to party together is it? This seems to be the sort of
> thing that board members of organisations are there for, for diplomatic
> talks with other organisations. It may therefore be something that one or
> both organisations or else their representative members have to stump up
> for - we may be able to find a cheaper menu if that's the problem.
>
> Still, that's just my view.  The bottom line is that the EMCC event
> manager and I are running through all the bookings to confirm orders on
> Monday morning (British Summer Time) and I'll need to know by then what
> the confirmed plan is. At present I will stick with the meal plan unless
> told explicitly not to go ahead. I also need to have a reasonably good
> handle on the numbers attending too, please.
>

> With regards, thanks, and some trepidation at the nearness of it all,
> Jeremy

Re: Heads-up: plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

Anne Ghisla-2
On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 10:49:32 -0300
Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jeremy, Board,

Hello all,

> Oh ok, I didn't know that you are not on the Board list.
>
> I myself don't have a ticket for the ice breaker, so I am confirmed.

Same for me, I have not booked for the Icebreaker so far.

> Including Daniel and Frank (emailed me directly), we'll likely have
> between 4 and 8 OSGeo Board members there.  I also want to include
> Arnulf, who has been a constant driving force between uniting
> OGC-OSGeo. (Jachym, I'm not forgetting your potential inclusion
> either)
>
> I would say to reserve a table for 20 (12 OGC Board members, plus
> roughly 8 OSGeo reps).
>
> I would then estimate a cost of roughly 35pounds each (inc a drink,
> and tip), which would mean approx 1100 USD (or 550 USD each for OSGeo
> and the OGC).
>
> If the Board is interested, I would make a motion to approve the use
> of $550 maximum for an OGC-OSGeo meetup.
>
> General reaction by the Board?
I am in favour, with the note that participants can still decide to pay
for themselves.

> As Daniel pointed out, there is already an OGC-OSGeo meetup planned
> for Friday morning (I was already confirmed for attending that):
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2013_BirdsOfAFeather#OGC.2FOSGeo_meet_up
>  It could be that the OSGeo Board decides as a group to attend that,
> and not set aside funding for a separate meetup.
>
> Speak up as Jeremy needs our thoughts now.

I'll be available in both timeslots, so let's hear more opinions.

> -jeff

Best,
Anne

> On 2013-09-03 8:21 PM, Jeremy Morley wrote:
> >
> > Jeff,
> >
> > Note that I'm not on the board mailing list so it may be only you
> > who saw the original email - it may be useful to be able to post to
> > the list for this conversation, otherwise please relay my messages.
> >

> > Anyway, yes, the current plan is that there's this relatively formal
> > get-together with the OGC board (12 of them, I think) at 7pm on the
> > Wednesday (18th) as a dinner in the hotel restaurant. The cost is
> > £24/head for the three course meal, drinks additional, but
> > including VAT (our sales tax).
> >
> > There is the FOSS4G ice breaker at the same time - I don't know
> > (meaning I don't know, rather than "I don't think it is") if this
> > is the sort of the thing the OGC Board would want to attend. The
> > OGC guys aren't registered at the conference generally (their
> > meeting is separate on the Thursday) and so they'd have to buy ice
> > breaker tickets (as would you guys). There was also some suggestion
> > of a half-way house of a drinks reception for the two (or three
> > including AGI) groups.
> >
> > In the end I'm pretty neutral about this. It seems to me that for a
> > formal "meeting of minds" such as this it does really need to be
> > done in a more private space than the ice breaker to allow
> > discussion to properly happen. The aim isn't just to party together
> > is it? This seems to be the sort of thing that board members of
> > organisations are there for, for diplomatic talks with other
> > organisations. It may therefore be something that one or both
> > organisations or else their representative members have to stump up
> > for - we may be able to find a cheaper menu if that's the problem.
> >
> > Still, that's just my view.  The bottom line is that the EMCC event
> > manager and I are running through all the bookings to confirm
> > orders on Monday morning (British Summer Time) and I'll need to
> > know by then what the confirmed plan is. At present I will stick
> > with the meal plan unless told explicitly not to go ahead. I also
> > need to have a reasonably good handle on the numbers attending too,
> > please.
> >

> > With regards, thanks, and some trepidation at the nearness of it
> > all, Jeremy

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Aghisla

Re: Heads-up: plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

isedwards
Hi Jeff,

Assuming I can solicit an invitation... I would like to join you at the joint OSGeo/OGC dinner (paying my own way of course).

The conference falls at an ideal time to reflect on OGC's Ideas4OGC process[1], and I have a strong feeling that there are opportunities to build on our 2008 MoU to the benefit of both communities.

We have a place holder for a BoF session early on Friday 20th to get more open discussion and feedback[2], but one of the outcomes from Wednesday evening may be that we would like to make use of other opportunities during the FOSS4G week.

Many thanks,

Ian

Ian Edwards,
OSGeo UK

On 2013-09-03 8:21 PM, Jeremy Morley wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Note that I'm not on the board mailing list so it may be only you who saw
> the original email - it may be useful to be able to post to the list for
> this conversation, otherwise please relay my messages.
>

> Anyway, yes, the current plan is that there's this relatively formal
> get-together with the OGC board (12 of them, I think) at 7pm on the
> Wednesday (18th) as a dinner in the hotel restaurant. The cost is £24/head
> for the three course meal, drinks additional, but including VAT (our sales
> tax).
>
> There is the FOSS4G ice breaker at the same time - I don't know (meaning I
> don't know, rather than "I don't think it is") if this is the sort of the
> thing the OGC Board would want to attend. The OGC guys aren't registered
> at the conference generally (their meeting is separate on the Thursday)
> and so they'd have to buy ice breaker tickets (as would you guys). There
> was also some suggestion of a half-way house of a drinks reception for the
> two (or three including AGI) groups.
>
> In the end I'm pretty neutral about this. It seems to me that for a formal
> "meeting of minds" such as this it does really need to be done in a more
> private space than the ice breaker to allow discussion to properly happen.
> The aim isn't just to party together is it? This seems to be the sort of
> thing that board members of organisations are there for, for diplomatic
> talks with other organisations. It may therefore be something that one or
> both organisations or else their representative members have to stump up
> for - we may be able to find a cheaper menu if that's the problem.
>
> Still, that's just my view.  The bottom line is that the EMCC event
> manager and I are running through all the bookings to confirm orders on
> Monday morning (British Summer Time) and I'll need to know by then what
> the confirmed plan is. At present I will stick with the meal plan unless
> told explicitly not to go ahead. I also need to have a reasonably good
> handle on the numbers attending too, please.
>

> With regards, thanks, and some trepidation at the nearness of it all,
> Jeremy

Re: Heads-up: plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

jmckenna
Administrator
Hi Ian,

You are encouraged to join, thanks, it will be great to have you there.
 I can even see you leading some of this discussion, as I can tell that
you have passion for the OGC relationship. Please come along.

Also Arnulf, can you make it to this on Wednesday night?

-jeff

On 2013-09-10 9:58 AM, Ian Edwards wrote:

> [...]
>     >
>     > Still, that's just my view.  The bottom line is that the EMCC event
>     > manager and I are running through all the bookings to confirm
>     orders on
>     > Monday morning (British Summer Time) and I'll need to know by then
>     what
>     > the confirmed plan is. At present I will stick with the meal plan
>     unless
>     > told explicitly not to go ahead. I also need to have a reasonably good
>     > handle on the numbers attending too, please.
>     >
>     >
>     > With regards, thanks, and some trepidation at the nearness of it all,
>     > Jeremy
>     >
>     >

Re: Heads-up: plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

Suchith Anand
Hi Jeff,

I would also like to join this (and will pay my costs) as it will be good opportunity to discuss and build more  ideas and plans on  education synergies between OSGeo and OGC.  As you know, through the ICA-OSGeo Labs initiative , we are working with Luis (OGC) on his excellent OGC Schools at GitHub idea. Many thanks.

Suchith

On 2013-09-10 9:58 AM, Ian Edwards wrote:

> [...]
>     > Jeremy
>     >
>     >
This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.

Re: Heads-up: plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

Hi Suchith,

I am glad you will be attending.  I bet that most of the OSGeo Board
members have no idea of the wonderful progress that the ICA-OSGeo Labs
is making, especially the work that Luis at the OGC is making through
his OGC Schools on github idea (I am happy that I got to hear him
introduce this at the last meeting).  Suchith I hope that you can talk
more of this with the other Board members during this dinner.

-jeff

On 2013-09-10 10:18 AM, Suchith Anand wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I would also like to join this (and will pay my costs) as it will be good opportunity to discuss and build more  ideas and plans on  education synergies between OSGeo and OGC.  As you know, through the ICA-OSGeo Labs initiative , we are working with Luis (OGC) on his excellent OGC Schools at GitHub idea. Many thanks.
>
> Suchith

Thanks Jeff.

We are happy to update the board that this education initiative is transforming geospatial education in both developed and developing countries (there is a good overview article from Charlie and Helena in last month's GIM International). We now have 40 labs established across the planet and will have over 100 labs established by this time next year. Our biggest growth countrywise is  USA (7 labs established already and plans in place for establishing over 20 research labs in the biggest universities in US by 2015). Region wise the biggest growth is in Europe  with 14 labs established (4 in the UK alone at Universities of Southampton, Newcastle, Warwick and Nottingham). We will have over 50 labs established in European universities by 2015. Please also join our maillist to keep updated on the activities and developments.

This rapid  growth and interest has been beyond our  expectation. When we started on this initative our aim was to establish 5 labs in 5 years ! Thanks to all Edu members  for thier strong support for making this initiative a great success. We are working on a new website for the network and we will be using"Geo for All" as our motto.

http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/boardThis message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.   Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Heads-up: plans for OGC/OSGeo Board meetup

Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH
I hope news like this is widely announced at FOSS4G2013 and the main
plenary sessions. I knew this effect was a success but had no idea it was
at this level of amazing. This needs wide press. Over 100 labs by next
year! Completely outstanding and amazing work to all involved. Congrats to
all and let the rest of us know how we can keep this effort going.

Mike

--
Michael Smith

US Army Corps
Remote Sensing GIS/Center

On 9/10/13 3:10 PM, "Suchith Anand" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Thanks Jeff.
>
>We are happy to update the board that this education initiative is
>transforming geospatial education in both developed and developing
>countries (there is a good overview article from Charlie and Helena in
>last month's GIM International). We now have 40 labs established across
>the planet and will have over 100 labs established by this time next
>year. Our biggest growth countrywise is  USA (7 labs established already
>and plans in place for establishing over 20 research labs in the biggest
>universities in US by 2015). Region wise the biggest growth is in Europe
>with 14 labs established (4 in the UK alone at Universities of
>Southampton, Newcastle, Warwick and Nottingham). We will have over 50
>labs established in European universities by 2015. Please also join our
>maillist to keep updated on the activities and developments.
>
>This rapid  growth and interest has been beyond our  expectation. When we
>started on this initative our aim was to establish 5 labs in 5 years !
>Thanks to all Edu members  for thier strong support for making this
>initiative a great success. We are working on a new website for the
>network and we will be using"Geo for All" as our motto.
>
>Suchith

maria.brovelli
Dear Jeff
I'll attend, if possible.

Please let me know what I have to do to "register" for the dinner.
Obvioulsly I pay (to be frank my - not requested opinion - is that
everybody has to pay). For discussing with people it is not necessary
to have a dinner. A dinner is something more ...

Ciao!
Maria

Def. Quota Jeff McKenna <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Suchith,
>
> I am glad you will be attending.  I bet that most of the OSGeo Board
> members have no idea of the wonderful progress that the ICA-OSGeo Labs
> is making, especially the work that Luis at the OGC is making through
> his OGC Schools on github idea (I am happy that I got to hear him
> introduce this at the last meeting).  Suchith I hope that you can talk
> more of this with the other Board members during this dinner.
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2013-09-10 10:18 AM, Suchith Anand wrote:
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> I would also like to join this (and will pay my costs) as it will
>> be good opportunity to discuss and build more  ideas and plans on
>> education synergies between OSGeo and OGC.  As you know, through
>> the ICA-OSGeo Labs initiative , we are working with Luis (OGC) on
>> his excellent OGC Schools at GitHub idea. Many thanks.
>>
>> Suchith

Board, a summary of the OGC/OSGeo Board dinner plans as I see it (CC-ing
Jeremy for update):

- timing: Wed 18th @7pm, Bramleys restaurant, in the Orchard Hotel
(conference hotel)

- menu selection: please make sure you either email Jeremy, or enter
your meal selections in the Google spreadsheet directly:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkFSFuEnODEzdERpRndKc2d2Nmp2OVhtbUdwNEI1Ymc#gid=0

- I think 13 OGC Board members will be attending

I think menu selections have been submitted for Ian, Bart, Peter,
Suchith, Jorge, Frank, Daniel, Arnulf, MikeS, Jachym, me.

-jeff