Having a CRS added in the common libraries

Having a CRS added in the common libraries

Stéphane Henriod
Dear all

I am new to both lists (proj and metacrs) so my apologies for cross-posting, I am not quite sure where my question belongs.

I am working in the beautiful country of Kyrgyzstan, which happens to have developed a new national geodetic framework. One of the outputs is a coordinate system (Kyrg06), divided in 5 zones.

As far as I know, this coordinate system is not yet available in any common library / software and is neither in the EPSG list.

Is there any standard process to get a sort of international recognition? This system has been approved by the government and thus has a legal validity in this country. But it will always be difficult to convince people to use it as long as it's not readily available in the common software (and thus in the underlying libraries). As a result, many GIS users end up working with UTM or other not-so-optimal.

Thanks a lot in advance for your hints and advice on this matter

Cheers

Stéphane

--

"Le mot progrès n'aura aucun sens tant qu'il y aura des enfants malheureux" -- Albert Einstein

"Si les contacts avec les étrangers lui étaient permis, [le citoyen ordinaire] découvrirait que ce sont des créatures semblables à lui-même et que la plus grande partie de ce qu'on lui a raconté d'eux est fausse. Le monde fermé, scellé, dans lequel il vit, serait brisé, et la crainte, la haine, la certitude de son bon droit, desquelles dépend sa morale, pourraient disparaître" -- George Orwell ("1984")

“When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable." -- Clifton Fadiman

Photos de voyages, photos de montagne: http://www.henriod.info

Re: Having a CRS added in the common libraries

Stéphane Henriod
Thanks for your answer!

And if the change request is accepted, will it be automatically be added to the Proj4 library?

Cheers

Stéphane

Le lundi 23 novembre 2015, Noel Zinn (cc) <[hidden email]> a écrit :
The following link is for a change request for the EPSG Dataset.  You do have to have an account, but that’s simple if you’ve never logged in before.

Noel Zinn, Principal, Hydrometronics LLC
+1-832-539-1472 (office), +1-281-221-0051 (cell)
http://www.hydrometronics.com (website)

Re: [Proj] Having a CRS added in the common libraries

Even Rouault-2
Le lundi 23 novembre 2015 16:45:20, Stéphane Henriod a écrit :
> Thanks for your answer!
>
> And if the change request is accepted, will it be automatically be added to
> the Proj4 library?

There's no such thing as "automatic" ;-) But if it is included in the EPSG
database then it should be available in proj.4/GDAL/libgeotiff when the next
resynchronization with the EPSG database is done
(https://svn.osgeo.org/metacrs/geotiff/trunk/libgeotiff/csv/README)

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Having a CRS added in the common libraries

Stéphane Henriod
That's kind of what I meant with "automatic" :-) that the newest version of EPSG is used when a new version of Proj4 is released

So I got my answer, thanks boh of you!

Cheers

Stéphane