Has anyone tried animation / or how to?

Levii Smith

Just a thought as I work on this...I'm going to attempt to run an animation of WMS layers. I've seen the example of using TIME in WMS...has anyone tried animating WMS layers in time (I'm trying to loop satellite imagery if you're curious)...any ideas how to do it - or how to keep multiple layers in sync while doing it?

//Levii

Re: Has anyone tried animation / or how to?

Jon Blower
Hi Levii,

Our OpenLayers-based site (http://www.reading.ac.uk/godiva2) supports
animation of WMS layers but does so because the WMS in question can
generate animated GIFs if you give it a time range.  This is not ideal
because if you want to synchronize some other UI feature with the
animation (e.g. a time indicator or another animation) you can't
because you have no control over animation rates etc.

I think the only way to have this synchronization is to do animation
in javascript but I haven't investigated this in detail.  I'd be
interested in anything you come up with and perhaps we could work
together if we end up wanting the same thing?

Cheers, Jon

Just a thought as I work on this...I'm going to attempt to run an
animation of WMS layers. I've seen the example of using TIME in
WMS...has anyone tried animating WMS layers in time (I'm trying to
loop satellite imagery if you're curious)...any ideas how to do it -
or how to keep multiple layers in sync while doing it?

//Levii

Dr Jon Blower Tel: +44 118 378 5213 (direct line)
Technical Director Tel: +44 118 378 8741 (ESSC)
Reading e-Science Centre Fax: +44 118 378 6413
ESSC Email: [hidden email]
University of Reading
3 Earley Gate
Reading RG6 6AL, UK

Re: Has anyone tried animation / or how to?

kobben
HI,

We actually have  an MSc student just started on seeing how to do this using
WMS-T and SVG. SVG enables an integrated animation/interface, using SMIL
animation and javascript interactivity. We hope to present some results at
the upcoming SVGopen conference in Nurnberg (Germany, august 26-29)). See
the abstract "SVG and Geo Web Services for visualization of time series data
of flood risk" on the Proceedings page at http://svgopen.org/2008/

--
Barend Köbben
International Institute for Geo-Information

On 12-06-08 14:47, "Jon Blower" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Levii,
>
> Our OpenLayers-based site (http://www.reading.ac.uk/godiva2) supports
> animation of WMS layers but does so because the WMS in question can
> generate animated GIFs if you give it a time range.  This is not ideal
> because if you want to synchronize some other UI feature with the
> animation (e.g. a time indicator or another animation) you can't
> because you have no control over animation rates etc.
>
> I think the only way to have this synchronization is to do animation
> in javascript but I haven't investigated this in detail.  I'd be
> interested in anything you come up with and perhaps we could work
> together if we end up wanting the same thing?
>
> Cheers, Jon

International Institute for Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
Chamber of Commerce: 410 27 560

E-mail disclaimer
The information in this e-mail, including any attachments, is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or action in relation to the content of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please delete the message and any attachment and inform the sender by return e-mail. ITC accepts no liability for any error or omission in the message content or for damage of any kind that may arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

Re: Has anyone tried animation / or how to?

Michael Adair
WMS animations is implemented in the MapBuilder project (which uses the
OpenLayers library).  See:
http://demo.communitymapbuilder.org/demo/mapbuilder/demo/timeSeries/index.html

(one of the WMS servers used by the demo is down, but the animation
layers are up).

Mike

Jon Blower wrote:

> Hi Levii,
>
> Our OpenLayers-based site (http://www.reading.ac.uk/godiva2) supports
> animation of WMS layers but does so because the WMS in question can
> generate animated GIFs if you give it a time range.  This is not ideal
> because if you want to synchronize some other UI feature with the
> animation (e.g. a time indicator or another animation) you can't
> because you have no control over animation rates etc.
>
> I think the only way to have this synchronization is to do animation
> in javascript but I haven't investigated this in detail.  I'd be
> interested in anything you come up with and perhaps we could work
> together if we end up wanting the same thing?
>
> Cheers, Jon

alinux

Barend Kobben <kobben@...> writes:

> HI,
>
> We actually have  an MSc student just started on seeing how to do this using
> WMS-T and SVG. SVG enables an integrated animation/interface, using SMIL
> animation and javascript interactivity. We hope to present some results at
> the upcoming SVGopen conference in Nurnberg (Germany, august 26-29)). See
> the abstract "SVG and Geo Web Services for visualization of time series data
> of flood risk" on the Proceedings page at http://svgopen.org/2008/

Hello
sorry for my anglish ...

I tried to do an animation and i used it :

.
.
.

var loaded = "FALSE";
var madate = new Date("June 18, 2008 00:00:00");
.
.
.

radar = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS( "animation radar",
"http://monServeur:8080/wms", {layers:
"radar:"+madate.dateFormat('YmdHis')+":M:FRANCE_5MN", transparent: "TRUE",
format: "image/png"} , { singleTile: true, transitionEffect: 'resize'});

syn_radar_wms.events.register('loadend', radar ,function(e){
            if (loaded=="TRUE"){
                play_minute();
            }

                });

.
.
.

function play_minute(){
        madate.setMinutes(madate.getMinutes()+5);
        madate_formate = madate.dateFormat('YmdHis');
        string = "radar:"+madate_formate+":M:FRANCE_5MN";
                      radar.mergeNewParams({'layers':string});
                }

.
.
.

And that's good

What do you think about it ?

Re: Has anyone tried animation / or how to?

Wouter Schaubroeck
I've made something similar, but without openlayers, so: no overlays,
and no baselayer either...
but it does the trick, this is how i've done it:

i grab the current extent, and the parameters of the current layer
(luckilly i have only one...), and i build my own wms - getmaprequest.
Then i've created an imagepreloader, that (surprise surprise)
preloades all my images, and stores them in the memory of the browser.
When they're all loaded, i loop over them (setinterval), and that's
it, i have my animation!!

grtz,

Wouter Schaubroeck

Geo Solutions

www.geosolutions.be

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 2:53 PM, alinux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Barend Kobben <kobben@...> writes:
>

>> HI,
>>
>> We actually have  an MSc student just started on seeing how to do this using
>> WMS-T and SVG. SVG enables an integrated animation/interface, using SMIL
>> animation and javascript interactivity. We hope to present some results at
>> the upcoming SVGopen conference in Nurnberg (Germany, august 26-29)). See
>> the abstract "SVG and Geo Web Services for visualization of time series data
>> of flood risk" on the Proceedings page at http://svgopen.org/2008/
>>

> Hello
> sorry for my anglish ...
>
> I tried to do an animation and i used it :
>
> .
> .
> .
>
> var loaded = "FALSE";
> var madate = new Date("June 18, 2008 00:00:00");
> .
> .
> .
>
> radar = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS( "animation radar",
> "http://monServeur:8080/wms", {layers:
> "radar:"+madate.dateFormat('YmdHis')+":M:FRANCE_5MN", transparent: "TRUE",
> format: "image/png"} , { singleTile: true, transitionEffect: 'resize'});
>
> syn_radar_wms.events.register('loadend', radar ,function(e){
>                if (loaded=="TRUE"){
>                        play_minute();
>                }
>
>                });
>
> .
> .
> .
>
> function play_minute(){
>                        madate.setMinutes(madate.getMinutes()+5);
>                        madate_formate = madate.dateFormat('YmdHis');
>                        string = "radar:"+madate_formate+":M:FRANCE_5MN";
>                        radar.mergeNewParams({'layers':string});
>                }
>
> .
> .
> .

> And that's good
>
> What do you think about it ?

Groucho Marx  - "A child of five would understand this. Send someone
to fetch a child of five."

Re: Has anyone tried animation / or how to?

kngai
This post was updated on .
Levii Smith wrote
Just a thought as I work on this...I'm going to attempt to run an animation of WMS layers. I've seen the example of using TIME in WMS...has anyone tried animating WMS layers in time (I'm trying to loop satellite imagery if you're curious)...any ideas how to do it - or how to keep multiple layers in sync while doing it?
//Levii

Although this topic is a year old, I'm currently facing a similar situation of trying to animate WMS layers. I just started using OpenLayers beginning of this year to develop an interactive web mapping application. For me, I'm trying to animate overlays of various weather elements (gradient images depicting temperature, pressure, cloud cover, etc...).
I actually managed to create a working animation loop for the user chosen WMS layers (multiple layers can be animated).
I did so by:
-initializing all the animation "frames" of different times and store them in arrays ( array.push(new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS) )
-add them to the map (map.addLayers)
-preload them by turning on and turning off all the frames ( layer.setVisibility(true then false) )
-Wait for them to be loaded, using Layer.numLoadingTiles to check on it.
-After they've all been loaded, I use a setTimeout and layer.setVisibility(true/false) function to create the animation loop.

However, here's my problem:
-The WMS layers must be set to singleTile=true, which puts a heavier load on server.
-While on singleTile, when I maximized the map to nearly fit my 22" monitor, the layers appears stretched (perhaps this might be a server issue). Viewing any smaller seems to work just fine.
-When it is on untiled, only 1 layer can be animated smoothly. Any sort of event triggers (such as OL.Control.MousePosition or adding a time stamp of the current frame below the map) that happens will interrupt the animation resulting frames being skipped or frames not fully loaded before proceeding to the next frame. This only happens in Firefox (latest version 3.0.11). IE seems to work perfectly fine though as it looks like it has a better caching.

I'd really prefer to animate the WMS layers without singleTile=true. Is this possble without getting into the problems I mentioned? Anyone with any sort of suggestions? I unfortunately can't share the link to the webmap yet without the consent of a public release (should be soon though!).

Kevin