Quantcast

Haiti Response

David William Bitner-2
OSGeo Folks,

As you all are all aware there is a large international response to the Earthquake in Haiti right now.  One of the more difficult tasks at hand is to aggregate all the incredible work that is being done by NGOs, Governments, Companies, and Individuals. Of particular interest to myself and the work that I am doing to support the Sahana Software Foundation's (http://wiki.sahana.lk/doku.php/haiti:start) efforts is making sure we have a good catalog of the Web Services that are being put out there right now.

One wiki that appears to have a critical mass of support amongst a wide group is the one put up by Crisis Commons at http://www.crisismappers.net/forum/topics/task-force-haiti-earthquake.  I am hoping that I can engage some folks from the OSGeo community to help scour the web and mailing lists to fill in the Web Services portion of this wiki.  Please add notes to the services if you know that a service might be on unreliable hosting -- we may have some further work that we can engage our community in as we identify these so that we can find more suitable and scalable places to host these services.

Thank you all for any help you can give!

David

Re: Haiti Response

Jo Walsh
On 14/01/2010 16:41, David William Bitner wrote:

> OSGeo Folks,
>
> As you all are all aware there is a large international response to the
> Earthquake in Haiti right now.  One of the more difficult tasks at hand
> is to aggregate all the incredible work that is being done by NGOs,
> Governments, Companies, and Individuals. Of particular interest to
> myself and the work that I am doing to support the Sahana Software
> Foundation's (http://wiki.sahana.lk/doku.php/haiti:start) efforts is
> making sure we have a good catalog of the Web Services that are being
> put out there right now.

Mikel has a good blog post describing the OpenStreetmap focus on the
epicentre: http://brainoff.com/weblog/2010/01/14/1518
OSM are getting imagery donations from commercial providers.

Best luck with the Sahana effort (and give Fran a hug from me next time
you virtually see him)

jo

Re: Haiti Response

Schuyler Erle
* On 14-Jan-2010 at 11:41AM EST, David William Bitner said:

> As you all are all aware there is a large international response to the
> Earthquake in Haiti right now.  One of the more difficult tasks at hand is
> to aggregate all the incredible work that is being done by NGOs,
> Governments, Companies, and Individuals. Of particular interest to myself
> and the work that I am doing to support the Sahana Software Foundation's (
> http://wiki.sahana.lk/doku.php/haiti:start) efforts is making sure we have a
> good catalog of the Web Services that are being put out there right now.

We've set up a version of Tim Waters's map warper at the NYPL:

  http://maps.nypl.org/relief/

The service mostly has NGA maps downloaded from the U. Texas
map library, but there's a warped version of the latest GeoEye imagery
over Port-au-Prince in there as well, served out over WMS:

http://maps.nypl.org/relief/maps/wms/32?request=GetCapabilities&version=1.1.1

And over (Google-style, e.g. OSM-compatible) TMS:

  http://maps.nypl.org/tilecache/1/haiti/$z/$x/$y.jpg

If you have maps or imagery (warped or unwarped), let us know and
we'll be happy to host it.

SDE

Re: Haiti Response

Jonathan Gray
FYI we've blogged about this here:

  http://blog.okfn.org/2010/01/15/open-street-map-community-responds-to-haiti-crisis/

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator
The Open Knowledge Foundation
http://www.okfn.org

Twitter/Identica: jwyg

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Schuyler Erle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * On 14-Jan-2010 at 11:41AM EST, David William Bitner said:
>>
>> As you all are all aware there is a large international response to the
>> Earthquake in Haiti right now.  One of the more difficult tasks at hand is
>> to aggregate all the incredible work that is being done by NGOs,
>> Governments, Companies, and Individuals. Of particular interest to myself
>> and the work that I am doing to support the Sahana Software Foundation's (
>> http://wiki.sahana.lk/doku.php/haiti:start) efforts is making sure we have a
>> good catalog of the Web Services that are being put out there right now.
>
> We've set up a version of Tim Waters's map warper at the NYPL:
>
>  http://maps.nypl.org/relief/
>
> The service mostly has NGA maps downloaded from the U. Texas
> map library, but there's a warped version of the latest GeoEye imagery
> over Port-au-Prince in there as well, served out over WMS:
>
> http://maps.nypl.org/relief/maps/wms/32?request=GetCapabilities&version=1.1.1
>
> And over (Google-style, e.g. OSM-compatible) TMS:
>
>  http://maps.nypl.org/tilecache/1/haiti/$z/$x/$y.jpg
>
> If you have maps or imagery (warped or unwarped), let us know and
> we'll be happy to host it.
>
> SDE

Haiti Response

Ole Brandenburg
FYI - I have created a simple info-graphic to illustrate the location of
Haiti and Port-au-Prince. It can be used for blogs too of course.

http://www.stepmap.de/karte/earthquake-hits-haiti-18997

Ole Brandenburg
StepMap - Design your map for free