HELP does anybody use create index rtree ? or gist trees ?

HELP does anybody use create index rtree ? or gist trees ?

molinet
Hello
I want to create an index on geometry point like
create index rtrville on ville using rtree(coord_ville);
I have the following error :
PostgreSQL error message: error: defineindex type point has no default
operator class
Does somebody can help me ?
What are the features for rtree index and the performances ? Why do
Postgis use gist index ?
thanks
MOLINET S.

Re: HELP does anybody use create index rtree ? or gisttrees ?

Robert Burgholzer-2
Perhaps this will tell you what you would like to know:

http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/x545.html

molinet wrote:

Hello
I want to create an index on geometry point like
create index rtrville on ville using rtree(coord_ville);
I have the following error :
PostgreSQL error message: error: defineindex type point has no default
operator class
Does somebody can help me ?
What are the features for rtree index and the performances ? Why do
Postgis use gist index ?
thanks
MOLINET S.

Robert Burgholzer
al·go·rithm  n.
       A step-by-step problem-solving procedure, especially an established, recursive computational
       procedure for solving a problem in a finite number of steps. Invented by Al Gore.
[hidden email]
http://www.soulswimmer.net/