Grass on MacOS

Adam Dershowitz, Ph.D., P.E.

Has there been any progress in getting Grass to continue to work on current Mac computers?

It used to run fine, but then it ran into issues with SIP security on when 10.11 came out.  And now, the same problem remains on 10.12.  It appears that the available mac binaries for grass7 haven’t been updated in a year and a half.  I’ve also tried to install grass7 using macports, but that gui won’t run (I created a ticket for that)

So, I’m just looking for any news or suggestions for how to run grass7.

Thanks,

-- Adam

Re: Grass on MacOS

Carlos Grohmann-2
Adam,

I keep my GRASS up and running with homebrew. Just head to https://brew.sh and follow a few steps to set it up. Then, go to https://github.com/OSGeo/homebrew-osgeo4mac to ‘tap’ the recipes for OSGeo software. You can install QGIS this way also.

Best

Carlos

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 at 19:19 Adam Dershowitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Has there been any progress in getting Grass to continue to work on current Mac computers?

It used to run fine, but then it ran into issues with SIP security on when 10.11 came out.  And now, the same problem remains on 10.12.  It appears that the available mac binaries for grass7 haven’t been updated in a year and a half.  I’ve also tried to install grass7 using macports, but that gui won’t run (I created a ticket for that)

So, I’m just looking for any news or suggestions for how to run grass7.

Thanks,

-- Adam

Re: Grass on MacOS

Adam Dershowitz, Ph.D., P.E.

Thanks, but…I use Macports for a bunch of things, and homebrew and maports don’t play well together.  So, I can’t easily do that.

I did get the macports version to work after I asked the question.  It was actually just due to the fact that I have been using the Kyngchoas version for a long time, and that used to require that GRASS_PYTHON be set in .bash_profile.  But, I had set it to point to an old directory a while back, and that folder didn’t exist.  So, I just had to delete that environmental variable and the macports version now works fine.

And, the Kyngchaos version of qgis does seem to work fine.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I suppose that it would be useful to have working binaries to avoid these kinds of issues.

-- Adam

Re: Grass on MacOS

Ken Mankoff
Hi Adam,

I'm glad to hear you got GRASS working on OS X w/ MacPorts. That is the system I use too. I recently switched from HomeBrew. I got GRASS working with fink too, but prefer MacPorts, although there are some MacPort-specific issues if you want to use the temporal framework.

I found it helpful to set GRASS_PYTHON and have it pointing to

export GRASS_PYTHON=/opt/local/bin/python2.7

I don't like installing 3rd-party frameworks, so I also have QGIS installed via MacPorts and it works well.

For GRASS, I had to "sudo port install gdal +netcdf" in order to be able to read in NetCDF files. For QGIS I did "sudo port install QGIS +qt4 +grass".

  -k.