Quantcast

Google Summer of Code ideas page: action required latest by February 5th!

Google Summer of Code ideas page: action required latest by February 5th!

jmckenna
Administrator

Dear All,

It’s that time of the year again!
Applications for Google Summer of Code 2017 are now open for would-be mentor
organizations, and we are in the process of applying on behalf of OSGeo. At
this stage, it is extremely important that we put up a nice and informative
ideas page, that Google will look at in order to evaluate OSGeo’s
application.
*We need your help!*
As previous years, we will create an OSGeo Ideas page, that links to
software communities ideas pages. If you wish to participate, please, start
listing the ideas and the corresponding mentors of your software community
and send us the link to your wiki page latest by February 5th.
And spread the word as much as you can!!

*Please note that from this year we have set up a group email for admin
purpose where you can reach all of us OSGeo GSoC admins at once:
[hidden email]

For further GSoC-related discussions e.g. inter/cross-project
ideas/proposals, ideas discussions, etc please use the long established
OSGeo’s SoC -- Google Summer of Code Coordination mailing list
(https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/soc).

Thank you,
the OSGeo GSoC Admin Team 2017

Re: Google Summer of Code ideas page: action required latest by February 5th!

jmckenna
Administrator
Excellent, thanks María!

-jeff

On 2017-01-23 12:36 PM, María Arias de Reyna wrote:

> Thanks for the warning! I am already preparing some ideas to mentor.
> Brainstorming will be well received :)
>
> El 23 ene. 2017 16:20, "Jeff McKenna" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> escribió:
>

>     Dear All,
>
>     It’s that time of the year again!
>     Applications for Google Summer of Code 2017 are now open for
>     would-be mentor
>     organizations, and we are in the process of applying on behalf of
>     OSGeo. At
>     this stage, it is extremely important that we put up a nice and
>     informative
>     ideas page, that Google will look at in order to evaluate OSGeo’s
>     application.
>     *We need your help!*
>     As previous years, we will create an OSGeo Ideas page, that links to
>     software communities ideas pages. If you wish to participate,
>     please, start
>     listing the ideas and the corresponding mentors of your software
>     community
>     and send us the link to your wiki page latest by February 5th.
>     And spread the word as much as you can!!
>
>     *Please note that from this year we have set up a group email for admin
>     purpose where you can reach all of us OSGeo GSoC admins at once:
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
>     For further GSoC-related discussions e.g. inter/cross-project
>     ideas/proposals, ideas discussions, etc please use the long established
>     OSGeo’s SoC -- Google Summer of Code Coordination mailing list
>     (https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/soc
>
>     Thank you,
>     the OSGeo GSoC Admin Team 2017

Re: Google Summer of Code ideas page: action required latest by February 5th!

María Arias de Reyna-2
Hi other GN developers,

Even if I want to mentor someone, we need at least one backup mentor
in case something happens to me:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2017_Administrative

Is there someone willing to do that? I should do most of the work, but
I am only human, I cannot warrantee that something prevents me to
mentor in the end.

Regards,
María.

Re: Google Summer of Code ideas page: action required latest by February 5th!

Jose Garcia
Hi María

I don't have the disponibility to be a mentor, but here are some ideas for project I think can be interesting to improve GeoNetwork:

- Store user search options (results per page, sorting, etc.), this can be done in local storage for anonymous users and for registered users maybe we can allow a personal configuration page (this could even allow to customise the facets to display, some styling, etc.).

- Migration of legacy services still in Jeeves to the new API in Spring MVC.

- Improve the editor validations to display error messages inline with fields (at least for schematron validations this seem not available).

The proposals require proper writing of the requirements, but I think can be good options for GeoNetwork.

Regards,
Jose García

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 12:31 PM, María Arias de Reyna <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi other GN developers,

Even if I want to mentor someone, we need at least one backup mentor
in case something happens to me:

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2017_Administrative

Is there someone willing to do that? I should do most of the work, but
I am only human, I cannot warrantee that something prevents me to
mentor in the end.

Regards,
María.

Vriendelijke groeten / Kind regards,

Jose García

Veenderweg 13
6721 WD Bennekom
The Netherlands
T: <a href="tel:+31318416664" style="font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif" target="_blank">+31 (0)318 416664

Re: Google Summer of Code ideas page: action required latest by February 5th!

María Arias de Reyna-2
No volunteers for GeoNetwork? Just need one...