Google Maps

gayani
Hi,

I am in need to add the google maps for backgorund of my Web Map Server.  I followed the Geomoose demo examples.

I am in srilanka and using WGS_Kadawala projection systesm (UTM 44).  For my need, How can I convert projection of "Google Mecater " (defined projection system for google maps projection) in to our projection systesm.   Or any other method to overlay the google maps to my Web Map server application

Thank you

Re: Google Maps

Stephen Woodbridge
On 9/6/2011 7:29 AM, gayani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am in need to add the google maps for backgorund of my Web Map Server.  I
> followed the Geomoose demo examples.
>
> I am in srilanka and using WGS_Kadawala projection systesm (UTM 44).  For my
> need, How can I convert projection of "Google Mecater " (defined projection
> system for google maps projection) in to our projection systesm.   Or any
> other method to overlay the google maps to my Web Map server application

The simple answer is that you can not do this. The best you can do if
you want to use Google maps is to use something like OpenLayers or
Geomoose to display the Google maps as a base layer and base layers MUST
be in the projection of the base layer, ie: Spherical Mercator. Then use
mapserver to reproject your data into Spherical Mercator and overlay
that as another layer over the Google maps layer.

-Steve

Re: Google Maps

Mark  Volz
Gayani,

In GeoMoose, the commercial layers (google, bing, etc) only work in the Web Mercator projection as tiled layers do not reproject.  You will have to change all of your data into Web Mercator, or use another background/

Mark Volz

Re: Google Maps

Smith, Michael ERDC-CRREL-NH
Note that your data does not have to be in spherical mercator, you just
have to project your data in to spherical mercator. MapServer can do this
quite easily. For data in epsg:4326 the overhead of reprojection is
extremely low (see foss4g wms benchmarking info from 2010).

Mike

--
Michael Smith

Remote Sensing/GIS Center
US Army Corps of Engineers

On 9/6/11  9:12 AM, "Mark Volz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Gayani,
>
>In GeoMoose, the commercial layers (google, bing, etc) only work in the
>Web Mercator projection as tiled layers do not reproject.  You will have
>to change all of your data into Web Mercator, or use another background/
>

>Mark Volz

Re: Google Maps

gayani
Steve ,

Thanks for your reply,
Please can you guild me to do the something like OpenLayers or
Geomoose to display the Google maps as a base layer and other projection coordinate handling.  I do not no much about the coordinate systems.  And how about the accuracies after converting the our data into web mercater.

Thanks

Re: Google Maps

gayani
Mike ,

According to your instruction, Can I use the data projected by our datum.  Then in mapserver convert into spherical mercator. Am I right? If not please explain it to me.  How about the accuracies after using two projection system in one application

Thanks

Re: Google Maps

gayani
Mark Volz ,

Thanks for your reply,

Can you please give me some examples for any other layers can can be accessible easilily.  Or are there any other application that can be run with google maps like Geomoose and run on MS4W?

Thanks

Re: Google Maps

Stephen Woodbridge
On 9/6/2011 8:19 PM, gayani wrote:
> Steve ,
>
> Thanks for your reply,
> Please can you guild me to do the something like OpenLayers or
> Geomoose to display the Google maps as a base layer and other projection
> coordinate handling.  I do not no much about the coordinate systems.  And
> how about the accuracies after converting the our data into web mercater.

http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.10/examples/

http://dev.openlayers.org/releases/OpenLayers-2.10/examples/google-reproject.html

You will also have to setup your mapserver mapfile. Set the projection
in the MAP section to be epsg:900913 and in your data LAYER set the
projection to be that of your source data. Mapserver will reproject on
the fly for you.

As far as accuracies, the data should overlay accurately, but I guess it
all depends on what you expect to do with it. But you do not have
another choice if you want to use Google maps as you base layer.

You will need to do some reading if you are not familiar with OpenLayers
or Mapserver to work out the details, but I'm sure people on the list
can help if you get stuck.

-Steve