Global Land Cover Characterization data type

Global Land Cover Characterization data type

Michael Spencer
Hi,

Has anyone used the USGS Global Land Cover Characterization data available here?

http://edc2.usgs.gov/glcc/globe_int.php

Indication is that the file format is Erdas Imagine .img, but GRASS is coming back with a file type unknown error. Help/readme file suggests data is byte type, which leaves me none the wiser!

Happy for any pointers.

Ta,
Michael

Re: Global Land Cover Characterization data type

Mauricio Zambrano-Bigiarini
2013/2/14 Michael Spencer <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> Has anyone used the USGS Global Land Cover Characterization data available
> here?
>
> http://edc2.usgs.gov/glcc/globe_int.php
>
> Indication is that the file format is Erdas Imagine .img, but GRASS is
> coming back with a file type unknown error. Help/readme file suggests data
> is byte type, which leaves me none the wiser!
>
> Happy for any pointers.
>
> Ta,
> Michael

Hi Michael,

Some time ago I had the same problem when using R for reading the
files. From the USGS I was told that the problem is the lack of header
(as mentioned in the metadata that I did not read :( )

You need to make a projection header file as per the FAQ at:
http://landcover.usgs.gov/faq.php#three

The details of the LAEA projection to generate the header file can be found on:
http://edc2.usgs.gov/glcc/sadoc2_0.php

IHTH,

Mauricio

--
=====================================
Water Resources Unit

Re: Global Land Cover Characterization data type

ychemin
Hi Michael,

says that data is in binary flat format, no header...
I suppose that if you download in geographical lat long projection, and that you get the header info from:

then you should be able to set a new location from this info and import straight in GRASS with one of the generic binary input function (maybe in r.in.gdal, maybe another more specific.

good luck and tell us how it went,
Yann

On 14 February 2013 18:02, Michael Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone used the USGS Global Land Cover Characterization data available here?

http://edc2.usgs.gov/glcc/globe_int.php

Indication is that the file format is Erdas Imagine .img, but GRASS is coming back with a file type unknown error. Help/readme file
suggests data is byte type, which leaves me none the wiser!

Happy for any pointers.

Ta,
Michael

Yann Chemin
Researcher@IWMI
Skype/FB: yann.chemin

Re: Global Land Cover Characterization data type

maning sambale
On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Yann Chemin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (maybe in r.in.gdal, maybe another more specific.
Or, r.in.bin

--
cheers,
maning

Re: Global Land Cover Characterization data type

Michael Spencer
Got the job done, thanks for all the pointers.

Took location info from the readme file included in download (which is different to the online help). Used a lat-long on wgs84 projection.

Imported via r.in.bin, and again included the details from readme file in bounds tab.

Strikes me usgs made this a lot more difficult that it needed to be!

Thanks again,
[...]

margherita
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Michael Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Got the job done, thanks for all the pointers.

Took location info from the readme file included in download (which is different to the online help). Used a lat-long on wgs84 projection.

Imported via r.in.bin, and again included the details from readme file in bounds tab.

Strikes me usgs made this a lot more difficult that it needed to be!

Maybe worth to be put in the wiki, could you be so kind?

Thank you!
madi

[...]

Margherita DI LEO
Postdoctoral Researcher

European Commission - DG JRC
Institute for Environment and Sustainability (IES). Unit H03 – FRC
Via Fermi, 2749
I-21027 Ispra (VA) - Italy - TP 261

Tel. +39 0332 78 3600

Disclaimer: The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may not in any circumstance be regarded as stating an official position of the European Commission.

Re: Global Land Cover Characterization data type

ychemin
Yes Michael,
would appreciate if you could document it a bit in the wiki (or at least in this list) with the command lines and configurations you used.

Thanks,
Yann

On 15 February 2013 18:35, Michael Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Have added a page to the wiki:
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_Land_Cover_Characteristics

Also linked to it from here (and tidied imagery into abc...):
http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_datasets

Remarkably painless!

Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 14:52:40 +0100
Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Global Land Cover Characterization data type