Getting ready for the Travel Grant Programme

Getting ready for the Travel Grant Programme

stevenfeldman
The Board has approved our budget submission for the TGP 2020, see https://www.loomio.org/d/P7aRGMXC/review-and-approve-osgeo-budget-for-2020 and https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2020

That means we have a $25k budget to support travel grant programmes at the Global, Regional and even Local FOSS4Gs.

We need to get a call out to the community inviting applications for TGPs and if the scale of applications exceeds our budget we will need a process to decide on which applications to approve or whether to scale back support or …

Once the allocations of grants has been made we will need a small team to advise and support the LOCs in running their individual TGPs. This may be a light touch task or it could be more time consuming depending on the support requested.

Over the last 3 years I have led the TGP on behalf of the Conference Committee with a great deal of support from Till Adams and Eli Adam (coincidence in those surnames??). I’d like this to be my last year of leadership - it would be great if a couple of new faces would step up to help run the TGP process for the CC, I don’t think it is essential that new people are elected members of the Conference Committee (i.e. past FOSS4G chairs), anyone with an interest in our conference and outreach programme would be able to make a contribution. So if you are interested in helping to run the TGP (and hopefully replacing me) either post on the list or mail me directly with any questions.

The current FOSS4G Travel Grant Programme Cookbook is at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook. This sets out the process we will use this year and the conditions that we have agreed with the Board, when we have some new members we can consider changes that we might want to introduce.

Please overwhelm me with your expressions of willingness to help organise the TGP in 2020 by 16 Feb so that we can kick things off in the following week.

Vasile and Till, if I have got anything wrong in this mail please feel free to correct me ;)

May the FOSS be with you

Cheers
______
Steven

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org

Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild” newsletter

Re: Getting ready for the Travel Grant Programme

stevenfeldman
Brilliant

Thanks Jody, look forward to working with you on this

______

On 2 Feb 2020, at 19:23, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Adam, look forward to working with you on this
______
Steven

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org

Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild” newsletter

On 2 Feb 2020, at 19:47, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Steven

Happy to help with tgp work, may be in a position to do leadership-ish things in 2021 but not right now.

Cheers,

Adam

On Mon, 3 Feb 2020, 12:19 am Steven Feldman, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

So we have 3 volunteers to join the TGP sub-group:
  • Jody Garnett
  • Adam Steer
  • John Bryant
Thanks to all of you for offering to help

In addition I am hoping that Till Adams and Eli Adam will agree to continue supporting the TGP?

We have a statement of application criteria for the TGP at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook#Application_criteria if anyone thinks we should alter these criteria please post suggestions in this mail thread over the next few days. I would like to post an announcement inviting LOCs to submit applications for the TGP by 26 Feb (I was thinking Conference, Discuss and Announce lists)

Once we have the applications in we can decide whether we are able to support all of the applications or whether we need some selection process or scaling back of the amount available. TGP sub-group members will be expected to recuse themselves from decisions on applications in which they have an interest.

Cheers
______

On 10 Feb 2020, at 23:25, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Eli Adam
On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 11:53 AM Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So we have 3 volunteers to join the TGP sub-group:
>
> Jody Garnett
> Adam Steer
> John Bryant
>
> Thanks to all of you for offering to help

It's exciting to see people continue all of Steven's great work!

> In addition I am hoping that Till Adams and Eli Adam will agree to continue supporting the TGP?

I'm interested in continuing to help in a supporting role.

> We have a statement of application criteria for the TGP at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook#Application_criteria if anyone thinks we should alter these criteria please post suggestions in this mail thread over the next few days. I would like to post an announcement inviting LOCs to submit applications for the TGP by 26 Feb (I was thinking Conference, Discuss and Announce lists)

The listed criteria look good.  The plan for inviting applications
sounds good as well.  You may want to make clear that it is
applications for *organizers* and that indeed are not calling for
applications nor offering any actual grants at this point.

> Once we have the applications in we can decide whether we are able to support all of the applications or whether we need some selection process or scaling back of the amount available. TGP sub-group members will be expected to recuse themselves from decisions on applications in which they have an interest.

Yes, good judgement.

Best regards, Eli

> [...]
>>
>> The current FOSS4G Travel Grant Programme Cookbook is at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook. This sets out the process we will use this year and the conditions that we have agreed with the Board, when we have some new members we can consider changes that we might want to introduce.
>>
>> Please overwhelm me with your expressions of willingness to help organise the TGP in 2020 by 16 Feb so that we can kick things off in the following week.
>>
>> Vasile and Till, if I have got anything wrong in this mail please feel free to correct me ;)
>>
>> May the FOSS be with you
>>
>> Cheers
>> ______
>> Steven
>>
>> Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org
>>
>> Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild” newsletter

Re: Getting ready for the Travel Grant Programme

Thanks Steven, the criteria look good to me as "guidelines" for submitting an application. On reflection I'm having a little bit of trouble seeing them as "criteria", ie. something we could use to judge the merits of an application. That said, if they've worked as criteria in the past I'm keen to watch the process in action and learn from it.

post an announcement inviting LOCs to submit applications for the TGP by 26 Feb

This is only 5 days away - speaking from the Oceania point of view, our event is 9 months away and still in the very early planning stages. I think even with 2 years' experience in running a successful TGP we would find it difficult to meet this deadline. Is there a reason we'd do it so soon? Or do you mean post the announcement by 26 Feb with a deadline of eg. 26 March, in which case, all good!

Cheers
John

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 at 08:28, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> The current FOSS4G Travel Grant Programme Cookbook is at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook. This sets out the process we will use this year and the conditions that we have agreed with the Board, when we have some new members we can consider changes that we might want to introduce.
>>
>> Please overwhelm me with your expressions of willingness to help organise the TGP in 2020 by 16 Feb so that we can kick things off in the following week.
>>
>> Vasile and Till, if I have got anything wrong in this mail please feel free to correct me ;)
>>
>> May the FOSS be with you
>>
>> Cheers
>> ______
>> Steven
>>
>> Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org
>>
>> Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild” newsletter

Re: Getting ready for the Travel Grant Programme

I meant that we would announce that we were open for applications next week, I think we should allow 3 or 4 weeks for LOCs to apply

Steven

07958 924101

Maps in the Wild

Subscribe to our weekly “Maps in the Wild” newsletter

On 20 Feb 2020, at 23:15, John Bryant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> The current FOSS4G Travel Grant Programme Cookbook is at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook. This sets out the process we will use this year and the conditions that we have agreed with the Board, when we have some new members we can consider changes that we might want to introduce.
>>
>> Please overwhelm me with your expressions of willingness to help organise the TGP in 2020 by 16 Feb so that we can kick things off in the following week.
>>
>> Vasile and Till, if I have got anything wrong in this mail please feel free to correct me ;)
>>
>> May the FOSS be with you
>>
>> Cheers
>> ______
>> Steven
>>
>> Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org
>>
>> Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild” newsletter

Re: Getting ready for the Travel Grant Programme

adam steer-2
Hi all

Thanks Steven, I think the guidelines look good - they ask the LOC to show that there is capacity to run the TGP, and item 4 asks the LOC to identify its priorities (the *why*). I think it is always possible to reach out to the LOC's for more detail if there's a need to decide between two (or more).

Looking forward to helping lots of people get to FOSS4G's everywhere!

Regards,
Adam

Re: Getting ready for the Travel Grant Programme

jody.garnett
This looks good, consider an examples section as that really helps organization’s understand how these instructions have been followed successfully .

Thanks for continuing to push this forward.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 8:53 PM Steven Feldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jonathan Moules-4

Hi Steven,

Thanks for arranging this. I would suggest that something about sustainability might be an idea so as to not overly exacerbate the ongoing climactic issues. Possibly something like:

8) Have some means/guidelines for prioritising applications within the selection process that are based on sustainable forms of travel (i.e. public transit), over less sustainable forms (flying, taxi's etc).

Cheers,

Jonathan

We have a statement of application criteria for the TGP at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook#Application_criteria <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook#Application_criteria> if anyone thinks we should alter these criteria please post suggestions in this mail thread over the next few days. I would like to post an announcement inviting LOCs to submit applications for the TGP by 26 Feb (I was thinking Conference, Discuss and Announce lists)

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org <http://mappery.org/>

Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild <http://eepurl.com/dKStT-/>” newsletter

The Board has approved our budget submission for the TGP 2020, see https://www.loomio.org/d/P7aRGMXC/review-and-approve-osgeo-budget-for-2020 <https://www.loomio.org/d/P7aRGMXC/review-and-approve-osgeo-budget-for-2020> and https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2020 <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2020>

The current FOSS4G Travel Grant Programme Cookbook is at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook>. This sets out the process we will use this year and the conditions that we have agreed with the Board, when we have some new members we can consider changes that we might want to introduce.

Please overwhelm me with your expressions of willingness to help organise the TGP in 2020 by 16 Feb so that we can kick things off in the following week.

Vasile and Till, if I have got anything wrong in this mail please feel free to correct me ;)

May the FOSS be with you

Cheers
______
Steven

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org <http://mappery.org/>

Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild <http://eepurl.com/dKStT-/>” newsletter

Re: Getting ready for the Travel Grant Programme

adam steer-2
Hi Johnathan

Picking on travel modes is an easy and wrong target - it would be vastly better to judge along the lines of 'do your governments still support burning stuff to make electricity' (still by far the largest chunk of GHG emissions globally).

...Oceania would never get a tgp if flying were not permitted! Australia would fail the other one ;).

A better question in my mind is 'explain how your conference is acting to repair and improve the liveability of our planet'.

An example from here? In Oceania we can't really avoid flying - or alternate mass transit modes are worse (ships burning hfo, still large ly unregulated). So in 2019 we made some rough calculations and built a project to put away a lot more GHG than we made, plus restore biodiversity in a near-urban National Park. We partner with existing local organisations to do that, and then look after this new natural asset as it develops. It probably puts ten or more times more carbon into a forest than we needed to, but hey. It's one place where we should always do more than the baseline.

Cheers

Adam

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020, 11:56 pm Jonathan Moules, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Steven,

Thanks for arranging this. I would suggest that something about sustainability might be an idea so as to not overly exacerbate the ongoing climactic issues. Possibly something like:

8) Have some means/guidelines for prioritising applications within the selection process that are based on sustainable forms of travel (i.e. public transit), over less sustainable forms (flying, taxi's etc).

Cheers,

Jonathan

Re: Getting ready for the Travel Grant Programme

Eli Adam
These and other local variations can already fall under:

4. Set out the broad criteria that they will use to select applicants
and indicate their priority groups (e.g. gender based, local/regional,
specific deprived groups, some other criteria).

Best regards, Eli

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 11:37 AM adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Please overwhelm me with your expressions of willingness to help organise the TGP in 2020 by 16 Feb so that we can kick things off in the following week.
>>
>> Vasile and Till, if I have got anything wrong in this mail please feel free to correct me ;)
>>
>> May the FOSS be with you
>>
>> Cheers
>> ______
>> Steven
>>
>> Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org <http://mappery.org/>
>>
>> Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild <http://eepurl.com/dKStT-/>” newsletter

Re: Getting ready for the Travel Grant Programme

Jonathan Moules-4

> it would be vastly better to judge along the lines of 'do your governments still support burning stuff to make electricity' (still by far the largest chunk of GHG emissions globally).

Heh, under this model Oceania (specifically Australia) would get no funds (3rd largest exporter of fossil fuels after Russia and Saudi - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/19/australia-is-third-largest-exporter-of-fossil-fuels-behind-russia-and-saudi-arabia)!

Much as I may want to, I wasn't suggesting banning funding flying (though that would /probably/ be optimal from an environmental perspective), but tried wording it to get non-flyers prioritised where possible; maybe it could be reworded to be clearer?

@Eli - I can see how that would fall under item 4, but it's not spelt out as a exemplar possibility let alone a requirement. I don't think I've ever seen any TGP programs (FOSS4G related or not) mention sustainability as being a criterion so it would seem to be non-obvious and likely benefits from being explicit.

Cheers,

Jonathan

On 21/02/2020 21:14, Eli Adam wrote:
[...]

Touché Jonathan - yes we in Australia are busy (unfortunately) exporting climate disaster and reaping the whirlwind also. Fortunately stellar efforts at sub-federal-government levels have reined in a situation which could be a lot worse.

I agree that a specific item should be included about sustainability (or better, restoration - improving the planet), and we can debate how to judge efforts as they come in. I’m happy to write up the F4G SotM 2019 Oceania story as a short example (in fact, I think there will be already some stories/write ups to come after the trees are in the ground, in mid-August)

Regards,

Adam

Re: Getting ready for the Travel Grant Programme

stevenfeldman
I have added this to the criteria:

5. Explain how your TGP will try to prioritise environmental sustainability in its selection process.

Does that work? If not someone suggest a change

______