Gerald I Evenden OBIT

Paul B. Anderson
- Hi Everyone,
I do not know if everyone on this list knew Gerald I Evenden, but if you were wondering about his absence on the list, it is because he passed away last year. Here is a link for you:
https://www.ccgfuneralhome.com/obit/gerald-i.-evenden

Take Care,
Paul B. Anderson

Re: Gerald I Evenden OBIT

support-2
Hi,

Thank you for the information! We all would like to send our deepest
condolences to his closest ones. We remember him as the creator of the
Proj library. May he rest in peace.

I reprint your link here so that it will be recorded in the list
archives. And so it was already a year ago so the information is more
history now. Thank you for the message again, we had our doubts but we
did not know for sure.

"Gerald I. Evenden (1935 - 2016)

Gerald Ian Evenden passed away quietly on April 7, 2016 at home in North
Falmouth after a long illness.

Born in Lewiston, Idaho on July 17, 1935, he was a 1957 graduate of San
Jose State in California and attended the Colorado School of Mines in
Colorado.  He was a lifelong employee of the United States Geological
Survey.  Gerald was the author of the UNIX program PROJ, which allows a
computer user to convert latitude/longitude coordinates into any number
of map projection coordinates.  He first published the program in 1983,
along with a follow up user’s manual and program updates in 1990.  The
PROJ program is still extensively in use today by private and public
mapping organizations, and provides the cartographic framework for many
commercial mapping applications.  He retired from the U.S.G.S.  Woods
Hole Coastal and Marine Service Center in January of 1993.

He served on the first Falmouth Town Committee to relocate the Falmouth
Firehouse Headquarters.  With a special interest in Basset Hounds, he
was a volunteer for New England Basset Hound Rescue, fostering Bassets
until they were adopted as well as doing home visits to people who
wanted to adopt a hound.

He leaves his wife of 51 years, Phyllis Wells Evenden and his sons Keith
Evenden and his wife Jean of Corvallis, Oregon and Muir Evenden and his
wife Asia of Malbork, Poland.

Visiting Hours will be on Sunday, April 17, from 2 pm to 4 pm at Chapman
Cole and Gleason Funeral Home, 475 Main Street, Falmouth, MA.  Funeral
arrangements are private.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to New England Basset
Hound Rescue:  NEBHR, P.O. Box 321, Rutland, MA 01543."

Janne.

[hidden email] kirjoitti 2017-07-11 05:34:

> - Hi Everyone,
> I do not know if everyone on this list knew Gerald I Evenden, but if
> you were wondering about his absence on the list, it is because he
> passed away last year. Here is a link for you:
> https://www.ccgfuneralhome.com/obit/gerald-i.-evenden
>
> Take Care,
> Paul B. Anderson

Re: Gerald I Evenden OBIT

support-2
BTW:

..do you know where Frank is or what he is doing?

Janne.

[hidden email] kirjoitti 2017-07-11 05:34:

> - Hi Everyone,
> I do not know if everyone on this list knew Gerald I Evenden, but if
> you were wondering about his absence on the list, it is because he
> passed away last year. Here is a link for you:
> https://www.ccgfuneralhome.com/obit/gerald-i.-evenden
>
> Take Care,
> Paul B. Anderson

Re: Gerald I Evenden OBIT

Paul B. Anderson
Hi Janne,

The last thing I have heard about Frank Warmerdam was that he was working here:
https://www.planet.com/

Other than that I have no further information.

Take Care,
Paul B. Anderson FCCS (USN, Retired)
GIS Teaching Assistant
Political Science and Geography Department
Old Dominion University
My website:
http://www.csiss.org/map-projections/

---- [hidden email] wrote:

> BTW:
>
> ..do you know where Frank is or what he is doing?
>
> Janne.
>
> [hidden email] kirjoitti 2017-07-11 05:34:
> > - Hi Everyone,
> > I do not know if everyone on this list knew Gerald I Evenden, but if
> > you were wondering about his absence on the list, it is because he
> > passed away last year. Here is a link for you:
> > https://www.ccgfuneralhome.com/obit/gerald-i.-evenden
> >
> > Take Care,
> > Paul B. Anderson

Re: Gerald I Evenden OBIT

Frank Warmerdam
Folks,

I am indeed working at Planet.  The job is rather all consuming, so
I'm very pleased that Howard and others have picked up where I left
off.  We are of course using many of the usual open source libraries
and tools as the basis of our data pipeline.

Best regards,
Frank