Geowebcache empty after Tomcat restart and/or server reboot

Geowebcache empty after Tomcat restart and/or server reboot

bendeg

Hi all,

[First time I ask something to [hidden email]]

I use Geoserver 2.14 in Tomcat 8 with Apache2 and PostgreSQL for a web application (Openlayers) in a Linux Debian environnement.

I made several WMS cascades for several layers and used Geoserver GWC advantages for tile rendering improvements, which works fine, except that :

If I restart Tomcat and/or reboot the physical server, all tiles disappear...

If I restart Geoserver only (via Tomcat web UI), all is fine, tiles are still there and ready to be served to web clients

1)      Disk space limit is activated (100GB, default for all other parameters)

2)      For layers, I didn’t change anything to tile cache parameters except choosing PNG for image format and adding 2 gridsets

I can see cache expiration strategy parameters and wonder if that’s the root cause of my problem or not.

Any idea would be most welcome,

Regards,

Ben

Re: Geowebcache empty after Tomcat restart and/or server reboot

geowolf
Hi Ian,
but if this is an integrated GWC inside GeoServer, the tiles should go in the GeoServer data directory, gwc subfolder, and not
in the tomcat temp... Am I missing something?

Cheers
Andrea

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 at 09:53, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Ian,
but if this is an integrated GWC inside GeoServer, the tiles should go in the GeoServer data directory, gwc subfolder, and not
in the tomcat temp... Am I missing something?

It should do that, but I have seen it opt for a temp dir if it can't find one of the config files.

Ian

[...]

Uh, so it would happen if one starts with a completely empty data directory for example?
Do we have a ticket for this case, seems worth tracking and, time/funding allowing, fixing

Cheers
Andrea

== GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it ------------------------------------------------------- Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: Geowebcache empty after Tomcat restart and/or server reboot

bendeg

To Ian :

I didn’t define any GEOWEBCACHE_DIR anywhere and I can’t say if that’s the problem or not.

Do you mean an environnement variable or a variable you set in web.xml file of Geoserver in Tomcat /var/lib/tomact8/webapps/geoserver directory ?

As you can see, I don’t master everything…

I’ve just tried the « external database » (PostgreSQL) solution of Geoserver and the cached tiles remain now in database even after a Tomcat restart.

Now, I’m not sure it’s the best solution for speed, it looks a bit slower that the default behaviour.

----------------------------------

To Andrea :

There’s indeed a gwc subfolder but I can’t see anything related to cached tiles : only .xml and .bak files :

geowebcache.xml

geowebcache-diskquota.xml

geowebcache-diskquota-jdbc.xml (I’ve just tried the « external database » option , which works fine even after a tomcat restart, cached tiles remain in database)

And a series of geowebcache_2019_XX_XXTXXXXXX.bak files (actually , these are xml files)

Benoît DEGRÈVE
Risques sous-sols et cartographie

Bachelier en gestion de données et cartographie

Re: Geowebcache empty after Tomcat restart and/or server reboot

bendeg

Ian, Aime

Problem solved :

Setting GEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR in /var/lib/tomcat8/webapps/geoserver/WEB-INF/web.xml solved the issue.

Thanks a lot !

(And sorry bothering you whith something already documented…)

For those new to this problem, it is documented here :

https://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/geowebcache/config.html

Ben

Re: Geowebcache empty after Tomcat restart and/or server reboot

bendeg

Ian,

Unfortunately, I’ve no idea…

I guess it’s somewhere in a default directory.

It was not in ../webapps/geoserver/data/temp/ (which I defined for GEOWEBCACHE_CACHE_DIR and it works like a charm even after Tomcat restart)

Moreover, I think (I hope so actually…) that it’s related to a problem which causes our server to « hang » in some way :

after playing with our web app and fetching lots of tiles (to populate the cache with 5 layers), it looked like the server didn’t respond anymore, even to simple pings.

Tough the server still runs « normally », I had to ping my machine from the server to get the web app back online.

This happened once or twice a day.

Maybe someone did have the same issue, that’s just for info and has maybe nothing to do with GeoWebCache.

Regards,

Benoît