Geowebcache and retina display

espicone
Hi, I need the gmaps service of geowebcache to return tiles for retina display (2x  512x512).
For example in mapbox you can specify it in the query string, is there a similar feature for geowebcache?

Non retina

Retina

Thanks!

Re: Geowebcache and retina display

Jonathan Moules-4
Hi,
I don't believe so (others likely know better of course!). I believe the only way to do this with GeoServer / GWC would be to simply request more tiles using the client and then scale appropriately.

As of GeoServer 2.11.x (which is in RC right now http://blog.geoserver.org/2017/03/14/geoserver-2-11-rc1-released/ ), there is support for Vector Tiles - http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/extensions/vectortiles/index.html - that would be another option. The rendering would be done client side so you could control the DPI; I don't know if whatever client mapbox uses could be pointed at this output instead.

Cheers,
Jonathan

---- On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 21:55:23 +0000 Esteban Picone<[hidden email]> wrote ----
Hi, I need the gmaps service of geowebcache to return tiles for retina display (2x  512x512).
For example in mapbox you can specify it in the query string, is there a similar feature for geowebcache?

Non retina

Retina

Thanks!

Re: Geowebcache and retina display

espicone
Hi Jonathan, as I pointed out previously we need it to work with the google maps service provided by GWC, which does not accept tiles larger than 256x256, are vector tiles supported by google maps?
We already tried using GeoJSON, but for large datasets is very slow, so we moved to tiles.

Thanks

Esteban

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Jonathan Moules <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Esteban,
Sorry, I wasn't clear, I wasn't suggesting asking for larger tiles (I don't think GWC supports them anyway). I was suggesting requesting *more* tiles.
If a 1024 pixel monitor needs 4*4 tiles width to fill it, then on a retina display you could request twice as many tiles in each dimension - so 8*8, and then scale suitably. At least, in theory. I guess that's effectively what the 512 thing you're looking at is doing too, but using larger tiles rather than making more requests. No idea how to make the client make such requests though.

Cheers,
Jonathan

On 21/03/2017 20:50, Esteban Picone wrote:
[...]

https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/mapbox/streets-v9/tiles/256/0/0/0?access_token=<access_token>

Retina
https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/mapbox/streets-v9/tiles/256/0/0/0@2x?access_token=<access_token>

Thanks!

Re: Geowebcache and retina display

jody.garnett
You can set the grid set tile size to any size you want (define your own grid set to do so).

Your though request for a @2x URL convention; is that based on any specific tile protocol? Or is it a case of trying to apply an html convention to the TMS or WMTS protocol?

--
Jody Garnett