Geoserver does not start up again after tomcat-restart

Geoserver does not start up again after tomcat-restart

useher
Hello group!
At the moment i have a hard problem. After a restart of my running tomcat8 the geoserver-application (2.11) did not start up. some other applications (geonetwork, jasper) run as good as before. After that i did an update to 2.15.1, whicht starts up with a clean data-directory. When i copy my old data-dir in the new installation, it does not start up again.

in the catalina-log are the following lines, which i think descripbe the error, but i am not able to understand what they want to tell me. Somewhere else i found a reference to the encrytion used (http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoServer-doesn-t-Start-up-td5268309.html), but i wanted to ask  someone before i do something weird. The whole logfile can be delievered also.

So please, can someone tell me, what happened here?

Thanks in advance

Uwe Seher

05-Jun-2019 16:21:35.844 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks The web application [geoserver] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [java.lang.ThreadLocal] (value [j
ava.lang.ThreadLocal@437d4b79]) and a value of type [org.springframework.security.core.context.SecurityContextImpl] (value [org.springframework.security.core.context.SecurityContextImpl@ffffffff: Null authentication]) but failed to remov
e it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak.

05-Jun-2019 16:21:35.858 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1] java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$1.run Couldn't create user preferences directory. User preferences are unusable.

05-Jun-2019 16:21:35.859 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1] java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$1.run java.io.IOException: No such file or directory

05-Jun-2019 16:21:35.875 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks The web application [geoserver] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [java.lang.ThreadLocal] (value [j
ava.lang.ThreadLocal@286a76ba]) and a value of type [org.geotools.referencing.operation.projection.TransverseMercator.Provider] (value [PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"]]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. Thr
eads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak.

05-Jun-2019 16:21:35.916 INFO [Finalizer] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkStateForResourceLoading Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load [org.geotools.metadata.i18n.Lo
ggings]. The following stack trace is thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access.

Re: Geoserver does not start up again after tomcat-restart

Vera Green
I have had a similar issue migrating from a much older GeoServer version to a new one and my solution was to NOT migrate the data folder in it's entirety but instead to migrate only some components.  I won't pretend to understand the underlying issue but it fixed it for me.  The components I migrated resulted in me having all of the important stuff in the new GeoServer version and a running GeoServer. I migrated the following in the order specified:
  • workspaces
  • security
  • styles
If you want to try this here are the steps:
  1.  shut down tomcat
  2. go to your freshly installed data folder (....your_tomcat/webapps/geoserver/data)
  3. mv -rf fullpath_to_your_backup/workspaces/* workspaces/.
  4. mv -rf fullpath_to_your_backup/security/*  security/.
  5. mv -rf fullpath_to_your_backup/styles/*   styles/.
  6. cd ..
  7. chown -R tomcat:tomcat data
  8. restart tomcat
Hope this helps,
Vera

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 9:03 AM Uwe Seher <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Humphries, Graham (StateGrowth)

Just to add my 2c worth

Don’t install your data files into the <myserver>/tomcat/webapps/geoserver/data directory. Host your data elsewhere on the file system.

You can change the value for GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR in the web.xml file in <myserver>/tomcat/webapps/geoserver/WEB-INF directory to point to this location.

Eg:

   <context-param>

       <param-name>GEOSERVER_DATA_DIR</param-name>

        <param-value>/opt/spatial/geoserver/data</param-value>

    </context-param>

This way you can:

·         Install your new instance of Geoserver and check that it works.

·         Stop Geoserver

·         Change the web.xml file as outlined above

·         Start Geoserver.

All your data should now be available

[hidden email]]) and a value of type [org.springframework.security.core.context.SecurityContextImpl] (value [org.springframework.security.core.context.SecurityContextImpl@ffffffff: Null authentication]) but failed to remov
e it when the web application was stopped. Threads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak.

05-Jun-2019 16:21:35.858 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1] java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$1.run Couldn't create user preferences directory. User preferences are unusable.

05-Jun-2019 16:21:35.859 WARNING [localhost-startStop-1] java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences$1.run java.io.IOException: No such file or directory

05-Jun-2019 16:21:35.875 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks The web application [geoserver] created a ThreadLocal with key of type [java.lang.ThreadLocal] (value [j
[hidden email]]) and a value of type [org.geotools.referencing.operation.projection.TransverseMercator.Provider] (value [PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"]]) but failed to remove it when the web application was stopped. Thr
eads are going to be renewed over time to try and avoid a probable memory leak.

05-Jun-2019 16:21:35.916 INFO [Finalizer] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.checkStateForResourceLoading Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load [org.geotools.metadata.i18n.Lo
ggings]. The following stack trace is thrown for debugging purposes as well as to attempt to terminate the thread which caused the illegal access.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
The information in this transmission may be confidential and/or protected by legal professional privilege, and is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed. If you are not such a person, you are warned that any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised. If you have received the transmission in error, please immediately contact this office by telephone, fax or email, to inform us of the error and to enable arrangements to be made for the destruction of the transmission, or its return at our cost. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of the information contained in this transmission.

Re: Geoserver does not start up again after tomcat-restart

geowolf
Hi Uwe,
the logs you shared are part of the shutdown and you'll find them in any case, even when the startup succeeded.
Can you share a full log of a failing startup, from the beginning?

Cheers
Andrea

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 5:09 PM Uwe Seher <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi all!
Thank you for your help, I will follow your hints in the future.
We just decided do build our repository from scratch to remove some other flaws in the structure and do a clean-up in the same procedure. Along with this, we did an update of the whole machine including bringimg some client applications to an actual state. This had to be done since a long time, so it does not hurt very much. Most of the data is in a postgis database, so the most work is reorganizing the data and coping the existing styles. So we have a clean and shiny new datastore in the next days.
But along with this i have a following question, just for learning some issues in the tomcat-world.
The old tomcat-installation ran on top of the oracle-jdk (installed by the system), which i haven't found on the system. The only jdk i found was the openjdk/Icedtea-jdk. On the new system, tomcat 9  runs on IcedTea from scratch. After reading the internet about my problem, i found some hints, that the i.e. strong encryption used by the different jdks are not the same and maybe there are some other differences. My theory now is, that while running an automatic update, someting changed in the underlying jdks. Maybe Suse didn't want to be sued by oracle or something else, i do not understand. When i restarted the tomcat these days, the problems popped up because of the different jdks.
As you see, i am no java/tomcat expert, so my question here is, what happend here, can this happen again and how can i handle it (in a growing infrastructure without doing everything from scratch)? Any link or hint would be helpful to understand this.
Thank you very much
Uwe Seher