[Geoserver-devel] geoserver and tomcat take a long time to start up

[Geoserver-devel] geoserver and tomcat take a long time to start up

scottpez
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade Geoserver and install it on a new server. With the fresh install of Geoserver, everything is fine. However, when I copy over the data featureTypes from the older copy of Geoserver, Geoserver and Tomcat take 30 minutes to start up. Once it does start up, everything looks fine in the geoserver admin page. We have roughly 100 or so featureTypes so if something is going wrong and it takes a few seconds for each featureType to load, then this would be multiplied by the number of featureTypes. One thing I noticed in the Tomcat log file is a warning for every featureType saying "Default Factory - Unavailable Factory: European Petroleum Survey Group". Does anyone know why I am getting this warning and do you think this may be causing the delay in loading the data? Does anyone have any other ideas why Geoserver may be taking so long to start up?

My colleague notes that he is running the data with an older version of geoserver and it does not take nearly as long for Tomcat/Geoserver to start up.

I am using 1.3.0-RC7 with Tomcat/Apache on Windows 2003 Server.

Thanks,
Scott

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files for problems? Stop! Download the new AJAX search engine that makes searching your log files as easy as surfing the web. DOWNLOAD SPLUNK! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click _______________________________________________ Geoserver-devel mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-devel

[Geoserver-devel] Re: geoserver and tomcat take a long time to start up

Justin Deoliveira-3
Hi Scott,

The factory warning has to do with reprojection. I am not exactly sure
what this error means, but its probably taking a while because a
reprojection is failing. A few things to check.

Verify that the gt2-epsg.jar on the classpath (WEB-INF/lib). If it is
try also putting the following jar onto the classpath.

http://dist.codehaus.org/geoserver/gt2-epsg-hsql.jar

CC'd the geotools list as well, perhaps we can get an answer there.

-Justin

Scott Pezanowski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to upgrade Geoserver and install it on a new server. With
> the fresh install of Geoserver, everything is fine. However, when I copy
> over the data featureTypes from the older copy of Geoserver, Geoserver
> and Tomcat take 30 minutes to start up. Once it does start up,
> everything looks fine in the geoserver admin page. We have roughly 100
> or so featureTypes so if something is going wrong and it takes a few
> seconds for each featureType to load, then this would be multiplied by
> the number of featureTypes. One thing I noticed in the Tomcat log file
> is a warning for every featureType saying "Default Factory - Unavailable
> Factory: European Petroleum Survey Group". Does anyone know why I am
> getting this warning and do you think this may be causing the delay in
> taking so long to start up?
>
> My colleague notes that he is running the data with an older version of
> geoserver and it does not take nearly as long for Tomcat/Geoserver to
> start up.
>
> I am using 1.3.0-RC7 with Tomcat/Apache on Windows 2003 Server.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

Justin Deoliveira
The Open Planning Project
http://topp.openplans.org

[Geoserver-devel] Re: geoserver and tomcat take a long time to start up

scottpez
Justin,

Thank you for the reply. The gt2-epsg-hsql.jar file was not in the classpath so I added that. I restarted Tomcat and then I was getting a noclassdeffound error for a hsqldb class. I thought this may be the hsqldb driver that it was not finding so I downloaded the latest hsqldb.jar file and added that. Now I am getting the following error:

 3656 [SEVERE] org.vfny.geoserver.global.Data - FeatureTypeInfo atlas:::colr0020 ignored - as DataStore atlas is broken:java.lang.AbstractMethodError: org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.HSQLDataSource.createFactory(Lorg/geotools/referencing/factory/FactoryGroup;)Lorg/geotools/referencing/factory/AbstractAuthorityFactory;
java.lang.AbstractMethodError: org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.HSQLDataSource.createFactory(Lorg/geotools/referencing/factory/FactoryGroup;)Lorg/geotools/referencing/factory/AbstractAuthorityFactory;
    at org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DefaultFactory.createFactory(DefaultFactory.java:250)
    at org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DefaultFactory.createBackingStore(DefaultFactory.java:308)
    at org.geotools.referencing.factory.DeferredAuthorityFactory.getBackingStore(DeferredAuthorityFactory.java:127)
    at org.geotools.referencing.factory.BufferedAuthorityFactory.isReady(BufferedAuthorityFactory.java:194)
    at org.geotools.referencing.factory.DeferredAuthorityFactory.isReady(DeferredAuthorityFactory.java:115)
    at org.geotools.factory.FactoryRegistry$1.filter(FactoryRegistry.java:81)
    at javax.imageio.spi.FilterIterator.advance(Unknown Source)
    at javax.imageio.spi.FilterIterator.next(Unknown Source)
    at org.geotools.resources.LazySet.addNext(LazySet.java:72)
    at org.geotools.resources.LazySet.get(LazySet.java:121)
    at org.geotools.resources.LazySet$Iter.next(LazySet.java:140)
    at org.geotools.referencing.CRS.decode(CRS.java:218)
    at org.geotools.data.postgis.referencing.PostgisAuthorityFactory.createFromAuthority(PostgisAuthorityFactory.java:103)
    at org.geotools.data.postgis.referencing.PostgisAuthorityFactory.createCRS(PostgisAuthorityFactory.java:60)
    at org.geotools.data.postgis.PostgisDataStore.getGeometryAttribute(PostgisDataStore.java:947)
    at org.geotools.data.postgis.PostgisDataStore.buildAttributeType(PostgisDataStore.java:878)
    at org.geotools.data.jdbc.JDBC1DataStore.buildSchema(JDBC1DataStore.java:1150)
    at org.geotools.data.postgis.PostgisDataStore.buildSchema(PostgisDataStore.java:593)
    at org.geotools.data.jdbc.FeatureTypeHandler.getFeatureTypeInfo(FeatureTypeHandler.java:200)
    at org.geotools.data.jdbc.FeatureTypeHandler.getSchema(FeatureTypeHandler.java:168)
    at org.geotools.data.jdbc.JDBC1DataStore.getSchema(JDBC1DataStore.java:388)
    at org.vfny.geoserver.global.Data.loadFeatureTypes(Data.java:345)
    at org.vfny.geoserver.global.Data.load(Data.java:154)
    at org.vfny.geoserver.global.GeoServerPlugIn.init(GeoServerPlugIn.java:109)
    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.initModulePlugIns(ActionServlet.java:1158)
    at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.init(ActionServlet.java:473)
    at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:211)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1091)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:925)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:3880)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4141)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1012)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1012)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:680)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:536)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:275)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)

Again, I am getting this error for every featureType. Before the featureTypes were eventually loading however now they are not loading.

Thanks,
Scott

From: Justin Deoliveira
To: Scott Pezanowski
CC: [hidden email], [hidden email], Geotools users list
Subject: Re: [Geoserver-users] geoserver and tomcat take a long time to start up
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:22:07 -0800

Hi Scott,

Scott Pezanowski wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to upgrade Geoserver and install it on a new server.
>With the fresh install of Geoserver, everything is fine. However,
>when I copy over the data featureTypes from the older copy of
>Geoserver, Geoserver and Tomcat take 30 minutes to start up. Once
>it does start up, everything looks fine in the geoserver admin
>page. We have roughly 100 or so featureTypes so if something is
>going wrong and it takes a few seconds for each featureType to
>load, then this would be multiplied by the number of featureTypes.
>One thing I noticed in the Tomcat log file is a warning for every
>featureType saying "Default Factory - Unavailable Factory: European
>Petroleum Survey Group". Does anyone know why I am getting this
>warning and do you think this may be causing the delay in loading
>the data? Does anyone have any other ideas why Geoserver may be
>taking so long to start up?
>
>My colleague notes that he is running the data with an older
>version of geoserver and it does not take nearly as long for
>Tomcat/Geoserver to start up.
>
>I am using 1.3.0-RC7 with Tomcat/Apache on Windows 2003 Server.
>
>Thanks,
>Scott

Justin Deoliveira
The Open Planning Project
http://topp.openplans.org
------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files for problems? Stop! Download the new AJAX search engine that makes searching your log files as easy as surfing the web. DOWNLOAD SPLUNK! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click _______________________________________________ Geoserver-devel mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-devel

Re: [Geotools-gt2-users] Re: geoserver and tomcat take a long time to start up

Martin Desruisseaux-2
Scott Pezanowski a écrit :
> Thank you for the reply. The gt2-epsg-hsql.jar file was not in the
> classpath so I added that. I restarted Tomcat and then I was getting a
> noclassdeffound error for a hsqldb class. I thought this may be the
> hsqldb driver that it was not finding so I downloaded the latest
> hsqldb.jar file and added that. Now I am getting the following error:
>
> [...snip...] java.lang.AbstractMethodError:
> [...snip...].HSQLDataSource.createFactory(...);
>     at [...snip...].DefaultFactory.createFactory(DefaultFactory.java:250)

This error suggest that the gt2-epsg-hsql.jar file is running with a
gt2-referencing.jar file of different Geotools versions. I suspect that
one of those JAR come from Geotools 2.1 and the other one come from
Geotools 2.2.

An other JAR that way be worth a try (instead of gt2-epsg-hsql) may by
gt2-epsg-wkt. The WKT factory has less capability and is less complete
than gt2-espg-hsql, but it is possible that some softwares were designed
specifically for this factory (because it was ready before epsg-hsql).
More specifically, epsg-wkt defines axis in a "non-standard" order
(compared to the EPSG convention) while epsg-hsql respect the order
defined in the EPSG database. But it may happen that some softwares
still expect the "non-standard" axis order used in epsg-wkt (I don't
know if Geoserver is in this case).

Note: I put "non-standard" between quotes because not everybody agree
about what the standard should be. For example EPSG and WFS
specification disagree in this regard. In this mail, "standard" means
"as defined in the EPSG database".

        Martin.

Re: [Geoserver-devel] Re: geoserver and tomcat take a long time to start up

Justin Deoliveira-3
The hsql guess was a bit of a long shot, you can take it off the
classpath if it is causing issues.

What projection/coordinate reference system is your data in?

Scott Pezanowski wrote:

> [...]
>      >the data? Does anyone have any other ideas why Geoserver may be
>      >taking so long to start up?
>      >
>      >My colleague notes that he is running the data with an older
>      >version of geoserver and it does not take nearly as long for
>      >Tomcat/Geoserver to start up.
>      >
>      >I am using 1.3.0-RC7 with Tomcat/Apache on Windows 2003 Server.
>      >
>      >Thanks,
>      >Scott
>      >
>      >------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net
>      >email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files
>      >for problems? Stop! Download the new AJAX search engine that makes
>      >searching your log files as easy as surfing the web. DOWNLOAD

Justin Deoliveira
The Open Planning Project
http://topp.openplans.org

[Geotools-gt2-users] Re: [Geoserver-devel] Re: geoserver and tomcat take a long tim

scottpez
Martin and Justin,

Thanks for your help on this. I removed the gt2-epsg-hsql.jar. I noticed without either the gt2-epsg-hsql.jar and the gt2-epsg-wkt.jar files I received an error in the catalina.log file. This error is also present when I add the gt2-epsg-wkt.jar file. This is the error:

FINE: Unavailable factory: European Petroleum Survey Group
org.opengis.referencing.FactoryException: Failed to connect to the EPSG database
    at org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DefaultFactory.createBackingStore(DefaultFactory.java:316)
[...]
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: No data source found.
    at org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DefaultFactory.createFactory(DefaultFactory.java:264)
    at org.geotools.referencing.factory.epsg.DefaultFactory.createBackingStore(DefaultFactory.java:308)
    ... 42 more

This could be what is causing geoserver to take so long to start up because it is throwing this error for every featureType. The weird thing is that once geoserver finally starts up (after 30 minutes or so) the data seems to load fine and it seems to find the srs wkt for the projection. The srs that we are using is 32128. When I click to edit the featureType in the geoserver admin tool, the correct srs wkt shows up. So, to summarize, this error shows up in the catalina.log file when neither the gt2-epsg-hsql.jar nor the gt2-epsg-wkt.jar file is in the classpath. The error also shows up when I add gt2-epsg-wkt.jar. And then when I add gt2-epsg-hsql.jar and the hsqldb.jar, other errors show up that I mentioned before.

Thanks,
Scott

Thanks,
Scott

From: Justin Deoliveira
To: Scott Pezanowski
CC: [hidden email], [hidden email], [hidden email]
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:00:22 -0800

Scott Pezanowski wrote:

> [...]
>European
> >Petroleum Survey Group". Does anyone know why I am getting
>this
> >warning and do you think this may be causing the delay in
> >the data? Does anyone have any other ideas why Geoserver may
>be
> >taking so long to start up?
> >
> >My colleague notes that he is running the data with an older
> >version of geoserver and it does not take nearly as long for
> >Tomcat/Geoserver to start up.
> >
> >I am using 1.3.0-RC7 with Tomcat/Apache on Windows 2003
>Server.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Scott

>files
> >for problems? Stop! Download the new AJAX search engine that
>makes
> >searching your log files as easy as surfing the web.

Justin Deoliveira
The Open Planning Project
http://topp.openplans.org
------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: Splunk Inc. Do you grep through log files for problems? Stop! Download the new AJAX search engine that makes searching your log files as easy as surfing the web. DOWNLOAD SPLUNK! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=7637&alloc_id=16865&op=click _______________________________________________ Geotools-gt2-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geotools-gt2-users

Scott Pezanowski a écrit :
> I removed the gt2-epsg-hsql.jar. I noticed
> without either the gt2-epsg-hsql.jar and the gt2-epsg-wkt.jar files I
> received an error in the catalina.log file. This error is also present
> when I add the gt2-epsg-wkt.jar file. This is the error:
>
> FINE: Unavailable factory: European Petroleum Survey Group
> org.opengis.referencing.FactoryException: Failed to connect to the EPSG database
>     [...snip...]
> Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: No data source found.

Could it be that the classpath is configured in such a way that it look
for gt2-epsg.jar file? As said before, "gt2-epsg.jar" was the old name
for "gt2-epsg-wkt.jar" before new EPSG factories (backed by SQL
databases) were added to Geotools.

Since canalina.log file seems to content the output from
java.util.logging, I think that it should contains a log from the
org.geotools.referencing.FactoryFinder class with 'CONFIG' level. This
log should contains all factories found in the classpath. Can you find
such log entry in catalina.log?

        Martin.