Geoserver and Oracle

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Geoserver and Oracle

Bart van den Eijnden-4
Hi list,

just got Geoserver to work with Oracle without any problems, good work! I am using the RC4 jars over a RC2 install.

I have a few questions/remarks:
1) the OCI driver reads too many tables from the database, why does it not limit itself to the tables listed in the SDO_GEOM_METADATA_TABLE?

2)  with PostGIS the geometry type is somehow deducted from the table (or the metadata tables), ie in the feature type editor for PostGIS it says:  

 the_geom:   multiPolygonProperty nillable:true min:0 max:1

but for Oracle it says:

 ORA_GEOMETRY:   nillable:true min:0 max:1

so the geometry type does not seem to get deducted. Why is this?

3) is there a way to give the geometry column a different name in the WFS interface? Now I have the_geom and ORA_GEOMETRY but I would like to standardize these names a bit more to make it easier for my client app.

Thanks again for the great software!

Best regards,
Bart

Bart van den Eijnden
Syncera IT Solutions
Postbus 270
2600 AG  DELFT

tel.nr.: 015-7512436
email: [hidden email]


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc.
Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course
Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005
Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more information
_______________________________________________
Geoserver-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Geoserver and Oracle

Chris Holmes-2
Quoting Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]>:

> Hi list,
>
> just got Geoserver to work with Oracle without any problems, good
> work! I am using the RC4 jars over a RC2 install.
Thank Uli for great bug reports and Marc for helping out with testing
and fixing, as well as some good users on the udig side of the fence,
the community is definitely the reason we have solid oracle support -
it was flagging just a few months ago.

>
> I have a few questions/remarks:
> 1) the OCI driver reads too many tables from the database, why does
> it not limit itself to the tables listed in the
> SDO_GEOM_METADATA_TABLE?
Because it never occured to us?  That's actually a pretty good decent
idea, especially since oracle has so many additional tables.  I added
some code way back that did some filtering of the weird meta tables,
but only doing those with listing in the metadata table has the great
side effect of making sure that tables with geoms are properly listed
in the metadata table, which geotools/server needs to work.

The _one_ argument against listing all is that users may want to expose
non-geo tables through their WFS.  It's obviously not a very common
need, but right now it's possible.  Though I suppose it'd still be
possible without using the web admin tool...

How about you add this as a feature request, and if others are for the
idea we can put it in.

>
> 2)  with PostGIS the geometry type is somehow deducted from the table
> (or the metadata tables), ie in the feature type editor for PostGIS
> it says:
>
>  the_geom:   multiPolygonProperty nillable:true min:0 max:1
>
> but for Oracle it says:
>
>  ORA_GEOMETRY:   nillable:true min:0 max:1
>
> so the geometry type does not seem to get deducted. Why is this?
Because oracle's typing system is looser.  In Postgis if you have a
multiline table, you can only stick in multilines.  In oracle you can
stick in just about anything - it doesn't define constraints on your
geometries, or at least not commonly.  I always get confused as to how
much information you actually can determine - I think there's some code
that may be able to distinguish between say lines and points.  But the
basic answer is that oracle does not constrain it's columns, so we
can't easily derive such information.

>
> 3) is there a way to give the geometry column a different name in the
> WFS interface? Now I have the_geom and ORA_GEOMETRY but I would like
> to standardize these names a bit more to make it easier for my client
> app.
Currently there's not.  Gabriel and RobA have started a great project
that will allow that (and much more - arbitrary mappings from the
physical data format to a specific featureType).  Indeed once such a
thing is in place it will be possible for you to do things like
constrain oracle columns to only multilinestrings.

>
> Thanks again for the great software!
Thanks for the feedback, these kinds of suggestions are great.  Even if
we don't use all of them, it's great for us to know what users are
thinking, and what they'd like to do.

best regards,

Chris

>
> Best regards,
> Bart
>
> Bart van den Eijnden
> Syncera IT Solutions
> Postbus 270
> 2600 AG  DELFT
>
> tel.nr.: 015-7512436
> email: [hidden email]
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc.
> Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course
> Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of
> 2005
> Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more
> information
> _______________________________________________
> Geoserver-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users
>




----------------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through IMP: https://webmail.limegroup.com/


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc.
Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course
Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005
Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more information
_______________________________________________
Geoserver-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Geoserver and Oracle

Bart van den Eijnden-4
In reply to this post by Bart van den Eijnden-4
Hi Chris,

thanks for your clear reply.

I have opened up a JIRA task for the first one:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GEOS-432

Best regards,
Bart

Bart van den Eijnden
Syncera IT Solutions
Postbus 270
2600 AG  DELFT

tel.nr.: 015-7512436
email: [hidden email]
>>> Chris Holmes <[hidden email]> 10/26/05 3:41 PM >>>
Quoting Bart van den Eijnden <[hidden email]>:

> Hi list,
>
> just got Geoserver to work with Oracle without any problems, good
> work! I am using the RC4 jars over a RC2 install.
Thank Uli for great bug reports and Marc for helping out with testing
and fixing, as well as some good users on the udig side of the fence,
the community is definitely the reason we have solid oracle support -
it was flagging just a few months ago.

>
> I have a few questions/remarks:
> 1) the OCI driver reads too many tables from the database, why does
> it not limit itself to the tables listed in the
> SDO_GEOM_METADATA_TABLE?
Because it never occured to us?  That's actually a pretty good decent
idea, especially since oracle has so many additional tables.  I added
some code way back that did some filtering of the weird meta tables,
but only doing those with listing in the metadata table has the great
side effect of making sure that tables with geoms are properly listed
in the metadata table, which geotools/server needs to work.

The _one_ argument against listing all is that users may want to expose
non-geo tables through their WFS.  It's obviously not a very common
need, but right now it's possible.  Though I suppose it'd still be
possible without using the web admin tool...

How about you add this as a feature request, and if others are for the
idea we can put it in.

>
> 2)  with PostGIS the geometry type is somehow deducted from the table
> (or the metadata tables), ie in the feature type editor for PostGIS
> it says:
>
>  the_geom:   multiPolygonProperty nillable:true min:0 max:1
>
> but for Oracle it says:
>
>  ORA_GEOMETRY:   nillable:true min:0 max:1
>
> so the geometry type does not seem to get deducted. Why is this?
Because oracle's typing system is looser.  In Postgis if you have a
multiline table, you can only stick in multilines.  In oracle you can
stick in just about anything - it doesn't define constraints on your
geometries, or at least not commonly.  I always get confused as to how
much information you actually can determine - I think there's some code
that may be able to distinguish between say lines and points.  But the
basic answer is that oracle does not constrain it's columns, so we
can't easily derive such information.

>
> 3) is there a way to give the geometry column a different name in the
> WFS interface? Now I have the_geom and ORA_GEOMETRY but I would like
> to standardize these names a bit more to make it easier for my client
> app.
Currently there's not.  Gabriel and RobA have started a great project
that will allow that (and much more - arbitrary mappings from the
physical data format to a specific featureType).  Indeed once such a
thing is in place it will be possible for you to do things like
constrain oracle columns to only multilinestrings.

>
> Thanks again for the great software!
Thanks for the feedback, these kinds of suggestions are great.  Even if
we don't use all of them, it's great for us to know what users are
thinking, and what they'd like to do.

best regards,

Chris

>
> Best regards,
> Bart
>
> Bart van den Eijnden
> Syncera IT Solutions
> Postbus 270
> 2600 AG  DELFT
>
> tel.nr.: 015-7512436
> email: [hidden email]
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc.
> Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course
> Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of
> 2005
> Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more
> information
> _______________________________________________
> Geoserver-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users
>




----------------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through IMP: https://webmail.limegroup.com/


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc.
Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course
Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005
Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more information
_______________________________________________
Geoserver-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the JBoss Inc.
Get Certified Today * Register for a JBoss Training Course
Free Certification Exam for All Training Attendees Through End of 2005
Visit http://www.jboss.com/services/certification for more information
_______________________________________________
Geoserver-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/geoserver-users