Georeference JPG / WLD file

Lene Fischer

Hi,

I´m try to georeference a jpg fil. That goes fine. But the result is a TIFF file which is huge in size. I want to keep it as JPG.

Any suggestions to solve this problem.

Regards

Lene Fischer

Associate Professor

University of Copenhagen

Department of Geoscience and Natural Resource Management

Forest and Landscape College

Nødebovej 77a

3480 Fredensborg

Denmark

MOB +45 40115084

Re: Georeference JPG / WLD file

qgis-user
On 4/6/2019 8:49 AM, Lene Fischer wrote:

Hi,

I´m try to georeference a jpg fil. That goes fine. But the result is a TIFF file which is huge in size. I want to keep it as JPG.

Any suggestions to solve this problem.

If you must have a .jpg, from the menu bar Raster->Conversion->Translate, then specify a jpg file for output. Be warned - jpg only supports byte bands, so if your input file is something like Float32, you're not going to get what you want without more work.

If size is the issue, rather than the more specific desire to have a .jpg file, you can control the compression of the TIFF when you save it, including the option to use jpg compression within a tif container.
Select the raster layer, right-click Export->Save As

As in direct translation to jpg, you have to watch out for dataypes. This approach doesn't solve the problem of converting a Float32 to Byte, for example. You'll just get garbage (or at least that's my experience).
Other compression methods (eg, DEFLATE), do support most datatypes, so this might be a better solution.

Re: Georeference JPG / WLD file

Lene Fischer

Thanks a lot!   knew there was a way. Just forgot this one J

Regards

Lene Fischer