Geonetwork users?

Jo Cook
Hi All,

I'm involved with Google Season of Docs this year
(https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Season_of_Docs_2019). The main focuses
for us are QGIS, OSGeoLIVE and Geonetwork.  We will be getting a paid
technical writer for a few months to work on the OSGeo projects
collectively, but the main aim is to get more community engagement in
contributing to documentation.

I'm heading up the Geonetwork team, and part of what I'm trying to do
is lower the barriers for users to contribute to documentation, and
figure out where information is missing, or how the documentation can
be improved in other ways.

So this is really a call out to fellow UK Geonetwork users- let me
know what you think could do with improving in the documentation, and
also if you're interested in getting further involved with the
project. Any level of experience in contributing to documentation is
fine- if you're a beginner and have previously been put off
contributing or correcting a typo or something, then let me know what
it is that put you off and we'll see what we can do to help. Contact
me on or off list!

If QGIS and/or OSGeoLive are more your thing, then head over to the
Season of Docs mailing list at
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/seasonofdocs as there are
some active discussions going on about training materials and such
like.

All the best

Jo

--
Jo Cook
t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Re: Geonetwork users?

Jonathan Moules-4
Hi Jo,

Good stuff!

Personally I've always thought the need to do GIT pull-requests to
update documents was onerous.

Documenters are less likely to be familiar with git and version control,
and of course git is nothing if not unintuitive (there's a reason many
of the highest scored and most viewed stackoverflow questions are git
related). If someone's a serious documenter then the considerable time
required to get familiar with and install all of the tooling is
burdensome but do-able. However if someone just spots a few minor
things, they're unlikely to make the effort.

For my part this certainly applies to me - my version control system of
choice isn't git so I don't have it installed and I'm not interested in
getting it, going through the checkout dance, etc, just to correct a few
typos.

Fortunately this is already a solved problem with wikis, ideally of the
sort that don't require accounts, although I appreciate that presents
its own problems.

There's also implications regarding licensing and contributor agreements
which projects may require. Reading and signing 1000 words of legalese
is rarely fun even if unfortunately necessary -
https://www.osgeo.org/resources/individual-contributor-license/

Just my 2p,

Cheers,

Jonathan

On 2019-06-07 12:46, Jo Cook wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm involved with Google Season of Docs this year
> (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Season_of_Docs_2019). The main focuses
> for us are QGIS, OSGeoLIVE and Geonetwork.  We will be getting a paid
> technical writer for a few months to work on the OSGeo projects
> collectively, but the main aim is to get more community engagement in
> contributing to documentation.
>
> I'm heading up the Geonetwork team, and part of what I'm trying to do
> is lower the barriers for users to contribute to documentation, and
> figure out where information is missing, or how the documentation can
> be improved in other ways.
>
> So this is really a call out to fellow UK Geonetwork users- let me
> know what you think could do with improving in the documentation, and
> also if you're interested in getting further involved with the
> project. Any level of experience in contributing to documentation is
> fine- if you're a beginner and have previously been put off
> contributing or correcting a typo or something, then let me know what
> it is that put you off and we'll see what we can do to help. Contact
> me on or off list!
>
> If QGIS and/or OSGeoLive are more your thing, then head over to the
> Season of Docs mailing list at
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/seasonofdocs as there are
> some active discussions going on about training materials and such
> like.
>
> All the best
>
> Jo
>
> --
> Jo Cook
> t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek
> Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For
> urgent responses at that time, please visit
> support.astuntechnology.com or phone our office on 01372 744009

Re: Geonetwork users?

Jo Cook
Hi Jonathan and Joseph,

Many thanks for your responses!

It sounds as if an important first step would be to highlight the fact
that you can bypass the whole "install git locally just to fix a typo"
merry-go-round in a lot of cases because github allows you to do and
edit and pull request within the browser. For information, if you do
that in the geonetwork docs, I can approve the change :-)

Joseph, would you be prepared to submit some issues at
https://github.com/geonetwork/doc/issues for larger changes?

Jonathan- your point about licenses is interesting and it's not one
I'd thought of with regards to documentation contributions. Is this
something that you've come across, as opposed to code contributions? I
can see some licensing "delicacies" in the case of training materials
or similar, but if there are cases of licensing problems for
straightforward documentation then that's something that should be
explored in more detail.

Thanks again!

Jo

On Fri, Jun 7, 2019 at 1:15 PM Jonathan Moules
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

Joseph Leach

hello

i made a couple of pull requests to fix a typo - will focus on the harvesting geoportal page first (starting this thursday)

joe

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

products, conferences, events and training*
*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

This message has been scanned for viruses by the Greater London Authority.

Click https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/wjUJelAtAVDGX2PQPOmvUg0Q1FXI7AabXbPzx9Q-uG8ehJb5DGDf9-bJ-wDGl1m4VX4zexuKDmaK0Rphlb7DTA==  to report this email as spam.

Re: Geonetwork users?

Jonathan Moules-4
Hi Jo,

Well the licensing one just popped into my head, it's not one I've seen.
I'd expect there must be some way to ensure the contribution swaps to
being under an open license; it won't be by default after all.

Cheers,

Jonathan

On 2019-06-11 09:19, Jo Cook wrote:

> [...]
>>> fine- if you're a beginner and have previously been put off
>>> contributing or correcting a typo or something, then let me know what
>>> it is that put you off and we'll see what we can do to help. Contact
>>> me on or off list!
>>>
>>> If QGIS and/or OSGeoLive are more your thing, then head over to the
>>> Season of Docs mailing list at
>>> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/seasonofdocs as there are
>>> some active discussions going on about training materials and such
>>> like.
>>>
>>> All the best
>>>
>>> Jo
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jo Cook
>>> t:+44 7930 524 155/twitter:@archaeogeek
>>> Please note that currently I do not work on Friday afternoons. For
>>> urgent responses at that time, please visit
>>> support.astuntechnology.com or phone our office on 01372 744009

having had some pull requests merged already, i'm pleased to report that the maintainers worked really well

github, despite not being foss, also worked well and managed the whole process seamlessly

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

*
*

Astun Technology Ltd, The
Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 7RL, UK
t:+44 1372 744
009 w: astuntechnology.com <http://astuntechnology.com/> twitter:@astuntech
<https://twitter.com/astuntech>

iShare - enterprise geographic
intelligence platform <https://astuntechnology.com/ishare/>
GeoServer,
PostGIS and QGIS training <https://astuntechnology.com/services/#training>

Helpdesk and customer portal
<http://support.astuntechnology.com/support/login>

Company registration
no. 5410695. Registered in England and Wales. Registered office: 120 Manor
Green Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT19 8LN VAT no. 864201149.

This message has been scanned for viruses by the Greater London Authority.

Hi Joseph,

That's really good to hear- thanks for getting involved!

Jo

[...]

Further to the message thread last week about Google Season of Docs,
if you are interested in participating in any way, then I'd strongly
recommend stating your interest on
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Season_of_Docs_Ideas_2019#Interested.3F.
We're using this list as a way of demonstrating the momentum that the
project is gathering, but also a little bird tells me there might be
the possibility of some swag at some point and if your name's not on
the list then you'll miss out!

All the best

Jo