Geonetwork 2.1.0 installation without X

Peteris
Hello!

I'm installing geonetwork 2.1.0 on debian etch, with postgresql
8.2.5database, to run with tomcat5 and apache2.
As installation example I used
http://geonetwork-opensource.org/documentation/how-to/installation-on-ubuntu(it
is for
2.0.3)

In installation process missed steps where I can define database parameters
etc.
1.How can I define this parameters?! Is it possible to define it after
geonetwork installation?!

2.Is it possible to install geonetwork without graphical installer, in shell
(for example on server without X)?!
As root in shell i get:

Xlib: No protocol specified

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11
window
server using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
etc...

Thanks!

--
pb

Re: Geonetwork 2.1.0 installation without X

François-Xavier PRUNAYRE
Hello Peteris, regarding your first question, you have to use GAST to set up a new database.
Check the manual under directory docs\manuals for more info about GAST.

For the second question, I'm not sure, any ideas? You could do the installation on a machine and then move the GeoNetwork dir to another (checking db connection)...

HTH. Francois

Re: Geonetwork 2.1.0 installation without X

Andrea Carboni-2
GAST has a command line option to do the setup:

java -jar gast/gast.jar -setup

At the end of the process it shows a dialog asking if it has to install sample metadata.
I did not try this command in headless mode. Maybe the first phase (the real installation)
could work.

Cheers,
Andrea

> Hello Peteris, regarding your first question, you have to use GAST to set up a new database.
> Check the manual under directory docs\manuals for more info about GAST.
>
> For the second question, I'm not sure, any ideas? You could do the installation on a machine and then move the GeoNetwork dir to another (checking db connection)...
>
> HTH. Francois

Thanks Andrea and Francois about gstat at eve I'll try to test it.
Maybe is some documentation or someone have experience to install GeoNetwork
on headless mode?! On my desktop machine with debian is ok to install with
GUI but server is headless and I'm sceptic to move  geonetwork dir as was
recommended :) because server is running on other distribution.

Thanks!

pb

On 22/10/2007, Andrea Carboni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> GAST has a command line option to do the setup:
>
> java -jar gast/gast.jar -setup
>
> At the end of the process it shows a dialog asking if it has to install
> sample metadata.
> I did not try this command in headless mode. Maybe the first phase (the
> real installation)
> could work.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrea
>
> > Hello Peteris, regarding your first question, you have to use GAST to
> set up a new database.
> > Check the manual under directory docs\manuals for more info about GAST.
> >
> > For the second question, I'm not sure, any ideas? You could do the
> installation on a machine and then move the GeoNetwork dir to another
> (checking db connection)...
> >
> > HTH. Francois

Pickering, Jason Paul
Hi Peteris,
I have done an installation without X but it would seem that using GAST is a necessity at this point. For a truly headless install, I think the easiest way is to grab the latest source code from the SVN and compile the necessary jar files. If you need instructions on how to do this, I can provide these separately. Otherwise, if you have a machine with a graphical user interface, you can just download the current installer version and run the installer. However, even though I got everything running from the SVN files, I was forced to used GAST to get geonetwork running.

 If you are using Tomcat, you will need to copy over these over (at the very least) the geonetwork and intermap directories to your tomcat webapps directory.If you need the geoserver functionality (I already had an instance on my server, and did not want the one that is packaged with geonetwork), you will need to copy over the geoserver directory as well into your Tomcat webapps directory. You may need to provide geonetwork and intermap with elevated security privileges depending on your Tomcat install. This should be done in /etc/tomcat5.5/policy.d/ . If you need specifics let me know. I am not sure this step is entirely necessary, but I did it anyway for my test install.

I was not able to successfully install geonetwork without GAST, and I could not get GAST to run per Andrea's instructions on a headless machine. I grabbed a machine with a UI and connected to the database on the remote machine and ran the setup function of GAST< and everything worked fine.  GAST populates the database with certain necessary information, which is critical for the function of geonetwork. What this information is still a bit of a mystery to me. This information is not part of the SQL scripts that come with geonetwork, and you will only get Null Pointer Exceptions if you create the database without running GAST. I would really like to have a truly headless installer, and it will be on my wish list during the Geonetwork conference in Rome in a few weeks. Perhaps a modified SQL script with this "base" information would be good for those of us that do not have the luxury of a GUI on our geonetwork boxes. :-)

Sorry for this rather sparse email, but I can provide you more detailed information if you need it. Good luck.

Best regards,
Jason

Re: Geonetwork 2.1.0 installation without X

pgrzeszc

An installation without X would be nice indeed.
Running 'java -jar gast/gast.jar -setup' still requires X.  Moreover, it
fails miserably when config.xml is configured to use another DB (in my
case MySQL).  It tries to use the McKoi credentials to authenticate with
MySQL DB.

One can create the tables using the sql script in gast/setup/sql/ but the
tables need to be subsequently filled with initial data, and that requires
GAST.
I suppose that the freshly set-up/filled database could be dumped
(mysqldump for MySQL) and then used to populate the initial data instead
of using GAST on subsequent headless install.
A problem with this would be the Settings table, which contains the siteID
which is unique to each install, I suppose.  Does GAST generate that id?

Also, having configured GN 2.1 for MySQL, I am unable to populate the DB
with the sample data using GAST (without the -setup switch).  It gives
"You need to authenticate" error as described by Christian earlier.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

I have installed GN 2.1 on Ubuntu 7.04 with Java 1.5 JDK, MySQL and
Tomcat5.
I made a script that does the install on a fresh Ubuntu 7.04.  It installs
Java, MySQL and Tomcat 5 and configures them also.
If anyone wishes to try it, here it is:
http://atlas.mems.uwindsor.ca/public/geonetwork_21.html

Paul

"Pēteris Brūns" <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

cc

Subject
Re: [GeoNetwork-users] Geonetwork 2.1.0 installation without X

Thanks Andrea and Francois about gstat at eve I'll try to test it.
Maybe is some documentation or someone have experience to install
GeoNetwork
on headless mode?! On my desktop machine with debian is ok to install with
GUI but server is headless and I'm sceptic to move  geonetwork dir as was
recommended :) because server is running on other distribution.

Thanks!

pb

On 22/10/2007, Andrea Carboni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> GAST has a command line option to do the setup:
>
> java -jar gast/gast.jar -setup
>
> At the end of the process it shows a dialog asking if it has to install
> sample metadata.
> I did not try this command in headless mode. Maybe the first phase (the
> real installation)
> could work.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrea
>
> > Hello Peteris, regarding your first question, you have to use GAST to
> set up a new database.
> > Check the manual under directory docs\manuals for more info about
GAST.

> > For the second question, I'm not sure, any ideas? You could do the
> installation on a machine and then move the GeoNetwork dir to another
> (checking db connection)...
> >
> > HTH. Francois

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the tip on the shell script. Seems that it would be very handy. Yes, a truly headless install would be very nice indeed. It is quite painful at the moment to get everything installed on a headless machine, and I suppose impossible if you do not have remote access to the backend database.

Anyway, in terms of Tomcat security, here is what I did.

I thought i would share with the list what I did to provide Geonetwork and Intermap with elevated security privileges. They both need this and it can be configured as follows.

1) create a file 12geonetwork.policy with the following contents:

grant codeBase "file:/var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/geonetwork/-" {
  permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

The path to your Tomcat directory may vary.

2) create a file 13intermap.policy

grant codeBase "file:/var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/intermap/-" {
  permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

Your the path to your Tomcat directory may vary.

This is still more security than I would like to grant these apps and would need to be further refined for a production environment, but I have not had the time yet to fine tune everything. This is better than disabling security entirely on Tomcat though! If anyone else has some tips on their configuration, it would be nice to hear them.

Best regards,
Jason