[Geomoose-users] Question about polygon queries

[Geomoose-users] Question about polygon queries

Sacha Black
I have a soils layer and I can use Geomoose information tool to query
(by point or rectangle) a soil polygon or polygons to get the soil
types. I would like to find out if it is possible to draw an arbitrary
(non-rectangular) polygon and use that polygon to get a list of the
sail types, and the area of each type that falss inside my custom
polygon.

I know how to construct the queries I need to run in PostGIS, but what
I don't know how to do is how to draw & pass the custom query area
from GeoMoose to PostGIS. Is this currently possible? Where would I
look if I were trying to add this functionality?

thanks for any suggestions,

Sacha

Re: [Geomoose-users] Question about polygon queries

Brent Fraser
Sacha,

  As far as I know, Geomoose has no capability to do this.  While there
are some tools in Geomoose to draw a polygon, you would need to write
some server-side scripting (for example, in PHP) to take the drawn
polygon and do an Intersection on the soils layer, possibly using the
OGR_G_Intersection function in GDAL's OGR API (although I'm not sure
that function is available through MS4W's OGR PHP library).

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser

> I have a soils layer and I can use Geomoose information tool to query
> (by point or rectangle) a soil polygon or polygons to get the soil
> types. I would like to find out if it is possible to draw an arbitrary
> (non-rectangular) polygon and use that polygon to get a list of the
> sail types, and the area of each type that falss inside my custom
> polygon.
>
> I know how to construct the queries I need to run in PostGIS, but what
> I don't know how to do is how to draw & pass the custom query area
> from GeoMoose to PostGIS. Is this currently possible? Where would I
> look if I were trying to add this functionality?
>
> thanks for any suggestions,
>
> Sacha

Re: [Geomoose-users] Question about polygon queries

Sacha Black
Thanks Brent,

I will try to look into this a bit further and see how far I get,

Sacha

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Brent Fraser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sacha,
>
>  As far as I know, Geomoose has no capability to do this.  While there
> are some tools in Geomoose to draw a polygon, you would need to write
> some server-side scripting (for example, in PHP) to take the drawn
> polygon and do an Intersection on the soils layer, possibly using the
> OGR_G_Intersection function in GDAL's OGR API (although I'm not sure
> that function is available through MS4W's OGR PHP library).
>
> Best Regards,
> Brent Fraser
>
>> I have a soils layer and I can use Geomoose information tool to query
>> (by point or rectangle) a soil polygon or polygons to get the soil
>> types. I would like to find out if it is possible to draw an arbitrary
>> (non-rectangular) polygon and use that polygon to get a list of the
>> sail types, and the area of each type that falss inside my custom
>> polygon.
>>
>> I know how to construct the queries I need to run in PostGIS, but what
>> I don't know how to do is how to draw & pass the custom query area
>> from GeoMoose to PostGIS. Is this currently possible? Where would I
>> look if I were trying to add this functionality?
>>
>> thanks for any suggestions,
>>
>> Sacha

Re: [Geomoose-users] Question about polygon queries

Dan Little
Is this just a type of select query using a drawn polygon? If so, I thought that was demonstrated in the demo...

  As far as I know, Geomoose has no capability to do
> this.  While there
are some tools in Geomoose to draw a polygon, you
> would need to write
some server-side scripting (for example, in PHP) to take
> the drawn
polygon and do an Intersection on the soils layer, possibly using
> the
OGR_G_Intersection function in GDAL's OGR API (although I'm not
> sure
that function is available through MS4W's OGR PHP library).

Best
> Regards,
Brent Fraser

> I have a soils layer and I can use Geomoose
> information tool to query
> (by point or rectangle) a soil polygon or
> polygons to get the soil
> types. I would like to find out if it is
> possible to draw an arbitrary
> (non-rectangular) polygon and use that
> polygon to get a list of the
> sail types, and the area of each type that
> falss inside my custom
> polygon.
>
> I know how to construct
> the queries I need to run in PostGIS, but what
> I don't know how to do is
> how to draw & pass the custom query area
> from GeoMoose to PostGIS.
> Is this currently possible? Where would I
> look if I were trying to add
> this functionality?
>
> thanks for any suggestions,
>

> Sacha

> Download Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
> Try the new software tools for
> yourself. Speed compiling, find bugs
> proactively, and fine-tune
> applications for parallel performance.
> See why Intel Parallel Studio got
> high marks during beta.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev

Download
> Intel® Parallel Studio Eval
Try the new software tools for yourself.
> Speed compiling, find bugs
proactively, and fine-tune applications for
> parallel performance.
See why Intel Parallel Studio got high marks during
> beta.

> >http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-sw-dev

Re: [Geomoose-users] Question about polygon queries

Brent Fraser
Dan,

   Good point.  When Sacha said "the area of each type that falls inside my
custom polygon", I thought that was referring to calculating the area (e.g.
square kilometers) of each type in the input polygon.

Brent