[Geomoose-users] Output format AGG?

Sacha Black
hi all,

is it possible to get GeoMoose to request it's images from Mapserver
with AGG rendering? I tried putting this in my map files:

  OUTPUTFORMAT
   DRIVER AGG/PNG
   IMAGEMODE RGBA
  END

but it didn't seem to make a difference... is there someplace to set
this besides the map file?

sacha

Re: [Geomoose-users] Output format AGG?

blammo
Sacha,

You need to make sure your MapServer install has
AGG compiled in.

Here is a MapFile fragment for AGG that I have that works:

MAP
  NAME 'label_shields'
  SIZE 800 650
  STATUS ON
  EXTENT 332000 -18000 678000 328000
  UNITS FEET
  FONTSET ./interstate.fonts
  SYMBOLSET ./interstate.symbols
  TRANSPARENT TRUE
  #IMAGECOLOR 239 235 231 #GOOGLE BG COLOR

  #IMAGETYPE PNG  ## This uses the MapServer GD image builder
  IMAGETYPE AGGA  ## This uses the AGG image builder if compiled into MapServer.  It's defined below.

        LEGEND
                STATUS ON
                KEYSPACING 5 10
                KEYSIZE 20 12
                IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
                LABEL
                  TYPE TRUETYPE
                  FONT bluehigh
                  COLOR 0 0 0
                  OUTLINECOLOR 254 254 254
                  SIZE 12
                END
        END

  OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME 'AGGA'
    DRIVER AGG/PNG
    IMAGEMODE RGBA
    #FORMATOPTION "TRANSPARENT=ON"
    #TRANSPARENT ON
  END

  OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME 'AGG_Q'
    DRIVER AGG/PNG
    IMAGEMODE RGBA
    FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_FORCE=ON"
    FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_DITHER=OFF"
    FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_COLORS=255"
    TRANSPARENT ON
  END

. . . . .

>>> "Sacha Black" <[hidden email]> 01/12/09 4:46 PM >>>
hi all,

is it possible to get GeoMoose to request it's images from Mapserver
with AGG rendering? I tried putting this in my map files:

  OUTPUTFORMAT
   DRIVER AGG/PNG
   IMAGEMODE RGBA
  END

but it didn't seem to make a difference... is there someplace to set
this besides the map file?

sacha

Re: [Geomoose-users] Output format AGG?

Jim Klassen
There is a catch here if your users use IE 6. AGG need full 24-bit color to handle the sub-pixel rendering that allows it to look better than GD. GeoMOOSE requires transparent images (except for backgrounds which are at the bottom of the stack anyway) so you can see through the layers to see the layers underneath the current layer. The problem is IE 6 (and earlier) does not display 24-bit transparent PNGs correctly. IE 7 and just about any other browser should work fine.

The AGG_Q format below is a compromise to retain 256 colors with AGG, however if you have more than a few colors in the map, you will loose some of the advantage of AGG because it won't have enough colors (of the 256) left to do the dithering.

>>> "Bob Basques" <[hidden email]> 01/12/09 5:00 PM >>>
Sacha,

You need to make sure your MapServer install has
AGG compiled in.

Here is a MapFile fragment for AGG that I have that works:

MAP
  NAME 'label_shields'
  SIZE 800 650
  STATUS ON
  EXTENT 332000 -18000 678000 328000
  UNITS FEET
  FONTSET ./interstate.fonts
  SYMBOLSET ./interstate.symbols
  TRANSPARENT TRUE
  #IMAGECOLOR 239 235 231 #GOOGLE BG COLOR

  #IMAGETYPE PNG  ## This uses the MapServer GD image builder
  IMAGETYPE AGGA  ## This uses the AGG image builder if compiled into MapServer.  It's defined below.

        LEGEND
                STATUS ON
                KEYSPACING 5 10
                KEYSIZE 20 12
                IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
                LABEL
                  TYPE TRUETYPE
                  FONT bluehigh
                  COLOR 0 0 0
                  OUTLINECOLOR 254 254 254
                  SIZE 12
                END
        END

  OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME 'AGGA'
    DRIVER AGG/PNG
    IMAGEMODE RGBA
    #FORMATOPTION "TRANSPARENT=ON"
    #TRANSPARENT ON
  END

  OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME 'AGG_Q'
    DRIVER AGG/PNG
    IMAGEMODE RGBA
    FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_FORCE=ON"
    FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_DITHER=OFF"
    FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_COLORS=255"
    TRANSPARENT ON
  END

. . . . .

>>> "Sacha Black" <[hidden email]> 01/12/09 4:46 PM >>>
hi all,

is it possible to get GeoMoose to request it's images from Mapserver
with AGG rendering? I tried putting this in my map files:

  OUTPUTFORMAT
   DRIVER AGG/PNG
   IMAGEMODE RGBA
  END

but it didn't seem to make a difference... is there someplace to set
this besides the map file?

sacha

Re: [Geomoose-users] Output format AGG?

Sacha Black
Thanks Jim and Bob - both very helpful

SB

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Jim Klassen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>    #FORMATOPTION "TRANSPARENT=ON"
>    #TRANSPARENT ON
>  END
>
>  OUTPUTFORMAT
>    NAME 'AGG_Q'
>    DRIVER AGG/PNG
>    IMAGEMODE RGBA
>    FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_FORCE=ON"
>    FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_DITHER=OFF"
>    FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_COLORS=255"
>    TRANSPARENT ON
>  END
>
> . . . . .

> hi all,
>
> is it possible to get GeoMoose to request it's images from Mapserver
> with AGG rendering? I tried putting this in my map files:
>
>  OUTPUTFORMAT
>   DRIVER AGG/PNG
>   IMAGEMODE RGBA
>  END
>
> but it didn't seem to make a difference... is there someplace to set

Nelson Soto-2
Printing to PDF doesn't work with AGG, IIRC.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>    #FORMATOPTION "TRANSPARENT=ON"
>    #TRANSPARENT ON
>  END
>
>  OUTPUTFORMAT
>    NAME 'AGG_Q'
>    DRIVER AGG/PNG
>    IMAGEMODE RGBA
>    FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_FORCE=ON"
>    FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_DITHER=OFF"
>    FORMATOPTION "QUANTIZE_COLORS=255"
>    TRANSPARENT ON
>  END
>
> . . . . .

> hi all,
>
> is it possible to get GeoMoose to request it's images from Mapserver
> with AGG rendering? I tried putting this in my map files:
>
>  OUTPUTFORMAT
>   DRIVER AGG/PNG
>   IMAGEMODE RGBA
>  END
>
> but it didn't seem to make a difference... is there someplace to set

Dan Little
That's a "gotcha" of the PHP_MAPSCRIPT.DLL, it's not linked against AGG.