[Geomoose-users] Geomoose doc

Brent Fraser
Hi All,

 I'm thinking about contributing to the doc.  Based on years of supporting,
implementing (and a little developing) I'm thinking of organizing it along
the lines of  a person's journey with GeoMoose:

  Site Users - What Can GeoMoose Do?
        Concepts
        Using the Demo
        Beyond the Demo - Other available features

 Administrators - How Do I Use My Data?
        Skills Required
        Installing
        Configuring
        Customizing
              mapbook.xml
              app.js
        Optional Components
              mapserver
        Debugging and Troubleshooting

Developers - How Do I Extend GeoMoose?
        Additional Skills Required
        The Development Environment
        Adding plugins
        Contributing to GeoMoose

 Not a complete outline, but hopefully enough for you to get the idea and
give me some feedback.

 Thanks!

 Best Regards,
 Brent Fraser

Re: [Geomoose-users] Geomoose doc

blammo
Brent,

If you could set up your stuff with web anchors at pertinent spots, I've always liked the idea of adding alt/help tags at points inside of the app that would either/or popup information about the particular tool, or jump to a detailed explanation of how it worked.

This would obviously be used after the content were created, but it would also allow for incremental additions over time as well as site specific instructional support from within the app, even so far as linking to instructional videos, etc.

Bobb

Re: [Geomoose-users] Geomoose doc

Brent Fraser
Great idea!

> If you could set up your stuff with web anchors at pertinent spots, I've
always liked the idea of adding alt/help tags at points inside of the app
that would either/or popup information about the particular tool, or jump
to a detailed explanation of how it worked.

> This would obviously be used after the content were created, but it would
also allow for incremental additions over time as well as site specific
instructional support from within the app, even so far as linking to
instructional videos, etc.

> Bobb

Of Brent Fraser

> Sent: Friday, May 29, 2020 1:05 PM
> To: GeoMoose Users <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Geomoose-users] Geomoose doc
>
> Think Before You Click: This email originated outside our organization.
>

> Hi All,
>
> I'm thinking about contributing to the doc. Based on years of supporting,
implementing (and a little developing) I'm thinking of organizing it along
the lines of a person's journey with GeoMoose:

> Site Users - What Can GeoMoose Do?
> Concepts
> Using the Demo
> Beyond the Demo - Other available features
>
> Administrators - How Do I Use My Data?
> Skills Required
> Installing
> Configuring
> Customizing
> mapbook.xml
> app.js
> Optional Components
> mapserver
> Debugging and Troubleshooting
>
> Developers - How Do I Extend GeoMoose?
> Additional Skills Required
> The Development Environment
> Adding plugins
> Contributing to GeoMoose
>

> Not a complete outline, but hopefully enough for you to get the idea and
give me some feedback.

> Thanks!
>
> Best Regards,
> Brent Fraser

Re: [Geomoose-users] Geomoose doc

Eli Adam
Are you thinking of a cookbook auxiliary to the existing docs,
https://geomoose.github.io/gm3/?  or reorganization of the docs and
adding to them?  I guess I'm not quite clear on how you're proposing
going from what we have to your outline or how they relate.

I'm always in favor of documentation!

Best regards, Eli

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 11:54 AM Brent Fraser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great idea!

My thought was to reorganize the existing doc.  And may be put some
placeholder headings/files so others could pick a topic and easily
contribute.

> Are you thinking of a cookbook auxiliary to the existing docs,
> https://geomoose.github.io/gm3/? or reorganization of the docs and
> adding to them? I guess I'm not quite clear on how you're proposing
> going from what we have to your outline or how they relate.
>
> I'm always in favor of documentation!
>
> Best regards, Eli
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 11:54 AM Brent Fraser <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > Great idea!

chughes
I have a word doc that I've been maintaining that I'd be happy to contribute.
It's in no way comprehensive and is probably deprecated in a few spots
due to all the improvements that have been made lately, but it could be
useful for building on the existing documentation.

Chris

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 4:36 PM Brent Fraser <[hidden email]> wrote:
My thought was to reorganize the existing doc.  And may be put some
placeholder headings/files so others could pick a topic and easily
contribute.

> Are you thinking of a cookbook auxiliary to the existing docs,
> https://geomoose.github.io/gm3/? or reorganization of the docs and
> adding to them? I guess I'm not quite clear on how you're proposing
> going from what we have to your outline or how they relate.
>
> I'm always in favor of documentation!
>
> Best regards, Eli
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 11:54 AM Brent Fraser <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > Great idea!

Chris Hughes

GIS Analyst
Lincoln County Surveyor Department
880 NE 7th St. l Newport, OR 97365
Tel: (541) 574 1283

Re: [Geomoose-users] Geomoose doc

Brent Fraser

 That would be great!

> I have a word doc that I've been maintaining that I'd be happy to
> contribute.
> It's in no way comprehensive and is probably deprecated in a few spots
> due to all the improvements that have been made lately, but it could be
> useful for building on the existing documentation.
>
> Chris
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 4:36 PM Brent Fraser <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > My thought was to reorganize the existing doc. And may be put some
> > placeholder headings/files so others could pick a topic and easily
> > contribute.

Dan Little-2
I ❤️ pull requests.

On Fri, May 29, 2020, 19:01 Brent Fraser <[hidden email]> wrote:

 That would be great!

> I have a word doc that I've been maintaining that I'd be happy to
> contribute.
> It's in no way comprehensive and is probably deprecated in a few spots
> due to all the improvements that have been made lately, but it could be
> useful for building on the existing documentation.
>
> Chris
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 4:36 PM Brent Fraser <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > My thought was to reorganize the existing doc. And may be put some
> > placeholder headings/files so others could pick a topic and easily
> > contribute.

Hi Bob,

   I wonder if using something like https://introjs.com/ would be a good
solution.  More of a intro/tour system than help.

 Brent

> If you could set up your stuff with web anchors at pertinent spots, I've
always liked the idea of adding alt/help tags at points inside of the app
that would either/or popup information about the particular tool, or jump
to a detailed explanation of how it worked.

> This would obviously be used after the content were created, but it would
also allow for incremental additions over time as well as site specific
instructional support from within the app, even so far as linking to
instructional videos, etc.

> Bobb

Something like that would work, emphasis on "like".  That one is a commercial version for business use, which would be a big turnoff for most users I think.

Would be good for a Tutorial online demo version I think, but not for general redistribution.

I've actually gone down this rabbit hole a couple of time in the past, both by trying to integrate something into GeoMoose itself as well as try to build a completely separate system that worked from keywords interspersed within the code.

Both paths came to halt fairly quickly because of the difficulties in trying to keep things updated.  Keying off the code seems to be the best approach since, if the code is loaded so is the instructional aspect.

Some other options:

https://ourcodeworld.com/articles/read/328/top-10-best-tour-website-guide-javascript-and-jquery-plugins

I found a few plugins for JQUERY too, but those don't seem to be a sane path for this.

Bobb

Think Before You Click: This email originated outside our organization.

Hi Bob,

   I wonder if using something like https://introjs.com/ would be a good solution.  More of a intro/tour system than help.

 Brent

> If you could set up your stuff with web anchors at pertinent spots,
> I've
always liked the idea of adding alt/help tags at points inside of the app that would either/or popup information about the particular tool, or jump to a detailed explanation of how it worked.

> This would obviously be used after the content were created, but it
> would
also allow for incremental additions over time as well as site specific instructional support from within the app, even so far as linking to instructional videos, etc.

> Bobb

give me some feedback.

> Thanks!
>
> Best Regards,
> Brent Fraser

Re: [Geomoose-users] Geomoose doc

Brent Fraser
Hi Bob,

   Yes the "commercial" bit on their web page is confusing.  I think it is
optional (for support etc).

 Brent

> Something like that would work, emphasis on "like". That one is a
commercial version for business use, which would be a big turnoff for most
users I think.

> Would be good for a Tutorial online demo version I think, but not for
general redistribution.

> I've actually gone down this rabbit hole a couple of time in the past,
both by trying to integrate something into GeoMoose itself as well as try
to build a completely separate system that worked from keywords
interspersed within the code.

> Both paths came to halt fairly quickly because of the difficulties in
trying to keep things updated. Keying off the code seems to be the best
approach since, if the code is loaded so is the instructional aspect.

> Some other options:

https://ourcodeworld.com/articles/read/328/top-10-best-tour-website-guide-ja
vascript-and-jquery-plugins

> I found a few plugins for JQUERY too, but those don't seem to be a sane
path for this.

> Bobb

(CI-StPaul) <[hidden email]>