[Geomoose-users] Geomoose 3, URL call to start a service with parameters

[Geomoose-users] Geomoose 3, URL call to start a service with parameters

Reynolds, Michael J. (DOT)
Is there a way to call a service or action by using a url parameter?  If not, in the app.js could I inspect the URL parameters and if I see a particular parameter name (for example "service"), initiate a service after the app loads?

We've got user cases where users have Latitutde Longitude (WGS84) for locations which they would like to pass to a Geomoose URL as parameters to go to that location directly.  Users have noticed the coordinate values inherent in a Geomoose url but converting from WGS84 to web mercator is an extra step.

Any tips appreciated.

Michael Reynolds

Application Support | Application Portfolio Management (APM)

Minnesota IT Services | Partnering with MnDOT

359 John Ireland Blvd.

St. Paul, MN  55155

O: 651-366-4918

Information Technology for Minnesota Government | mn.gov/mnit

Re: [Geomoose-users] Geomoose 3, URL call to start a service with parameters

Eli Adam
Hi Michael,

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 5:13 AM Reynolds, Michael J. (MNIT)
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a way to call a service or action by using a url parameter?  If not, in the app.js could I inspect the URL parameters and if I see a particular parameter name (for example "service"), initiate a service after the app loads?

You can run services at startup,
https://geomoose.github.io/gm3/howto/start-a-service.html

https://github.com/geomoose/gm3/issues/455

Best regards, Eli

> We've got user cases where users have Latitutde Longitude (WGS84) for locations which they would like to pass to a Geomoose URL as parameters to go to that location directly.  Users have noticed the coordinate values inherent in a Geomoose url but converting from WGS84 to web mercator is an extra step.
>
> Any tips appreciated.
>
> Michael Reynolds
>
> Application Support | Application Portfolio Management (APM)
>
> Minnesota IT Services | Partnering with MnDOT
>
> 359 John Ireland Blvd.
>
> St. Paul, MN  55155
>
> O: 651-366-4918
>
> Information Technology for Minnesota Government | mn.gov/mnit

Re: [Geomoose-users] Geomoose 3, URL call to start a service with parameters

chughes
Does anyone know how the zoom parameter is determined in the url?

We have a similar situation where we have a dataset of links to each parcel that specify a bounding box
(rather than GeoMoose 3's zoom and point). Converting these to web mercator isn't much of an issue
(or finding parcel centroids in web mercator), but I haven't figured out how to programmatically create
URL's that include a zoom and a point parameter.

Chris

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a way to call a service or action by using a url parameter?  If not, in the app.js could I inspect the URL parameters and if I see a particular parameter name (for example "service"), initiate a service after the app loads?

You can run services at startup,
https://geomoose.github.io/gm3/howto/start-a-service.html

https://github.com/geomoose/gm3/issues/455

Best regards, Eli

> We've got user cases where users have Latitutde Longitude (WGS84) for locations which they would like to pass to a Geomoose URL as parameters to go to that location directly.  Users have noticed the coordinate values inherent in a Geomoose url but converting from WGS84 to web mercator is an extra step.
>
> Any tips appreciated.
>
> Michael Reynolds
>
> Application Support | Application Portfolio Management (APM)
>
> Minnesota IT Services | Partnering with MnDOT
>
> 359 John Ireland Blvd.
>
> St. Paul, MN  55155
>
> O: 651-366-4918
>
> Information Technology for Minnesota Government | mn.gov/mnit

Chris Hughes

GIS Analyst
Lincoln County Surveyor Department
880 NE 7th St. l Newport, OR 97365
Tel: (541) 574 1283

Re: [Geomoose-users] Geomoose 3, URL call to start a service with parameters

Brent Fraser
Chris,

 The "loc" hash parameter in the url has a resolution value (not quite the
same zoom but close):

 loc=50;-10321714;5584217

 would be:  zoom to 50m./pixel, center map at X=-10321714 Y=5584217

 Or did you mean something else?

 Brent

> Does anyone know how the zoom parameter is determined in the url?
>
> We have a similar situation where we have a dataset of links to each
parcel
> that specify a bounding box
> (rather than GeoMoose 3's zoom and point). Converting these to web
mercator

> isn't much of an issue
> (or finding parcel centroids in web mercator), but I haven't figured out
> how to programmatically create
> URL's that include a zoom and a point parameter.
>
> Chris
>
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 7:41 AM Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 5:13 AM Reynolds, Michael J. (MNIT)
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there a way to call a service or action by using a url parameter?
If
> > not, in the app.js could I inspect the URL parameters and if I see a
> > particular parameter name (for example "service"), initiate a service
after

> > the app loads?
> >
> > You can run services at startup,
> > https://geomoose.github.io/gm3/howto/start-a-service.html
> >
> > https://github.com/geomoose/gm3/issues/455
> >
> > Best regards, Eli
> >

> > > We've got user cases where users have Latitutde Longitude (WGS84)
for
> > locations which they would like to pass to a Geomoose URL as parameters
> > go to that location directly. Users have noticed the coordinate values
> > inherent in a Geomoose url but converting from WGS84 to web mercator is
an

> > extra step.
> > >
> > > Any tips appreciated.
> > >
> > > Michael Reynolds
> > >
> > > Application Support | Application Portfolio Management (APM)
> > >
> > > Minnesota IT Services | Partnering with MnDOT
> > >
> > > 359 John Ireland Blvd.
> > >
> > > St. Paul, MN 55155
> > >
> > > O: 651-366-4918
> > >
> > > Information Technology for Minnesota Government | mn.gov/mnit

> Chris Hughes
>
> GIS Analyst
> Lincoln County Surveyor Department
> 880 NE 7th St. l Newport, OR 97365
> Tel: (541) 574 1283

Re: [Geomoose-users] Geomoose 3, URL call to start a service with parameters

TC Haddad

+1 for some clarity or examples on how to do this.

It seems related to bookmarking, which is discussed in this old issue:

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 8:28 AM Brent Fraser <[hidden email]> wrote:
Chris,

 The "loc" hash parameter in the url has a resolution value (not quite the
same zoom but close):

 loc=50;-10321714;5584217

 would be:  zoom to 50m./pixel, center map at X=-10321714 Y=5584217

 Or did you mean something else?

 Brent

> Does anyone know how the zoom parameter is determined in the url?
>
> We have a similar situation where we have a dataset of links to each
parcel
> that specify a bounding box
> (rather than GeoMoose 3's zoom and point). Converting these to web
mercator
> isn't much of an issue
> (or finding parcel centroids in web mercator), but I haven't figured out
> how to programmatically create
> URL's that include a zoom and a point parameter.
>
> Chris
>
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 7:41 AM Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 5:13 AM Reynolds, Michael J. (MNIT)
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there a way to call a service or action by using a url parameter?
If
> > not, in the app.js could I inspect the URL parameters and if I see a
> > particular parameter name (for example "service"), initiate a service
after
> > the app loads?
> >
> > You can run services at startup,
> > https://geomoose.github.io/gm3/howto/start-a-service.html
> >
> > https://github.com/geomoose/gm3/issues/455
> >
> > Best regards, Eli
> >

> > > We've got user cases where users have Latitutde Longitude (WGS84)
for
> > locations which they would like to pass to a Geomoose URL as parameters
> > go to that location directly. Users have noticed the coordinate values
> > inherent in a Geomoose url but converting from WGS84 to web mercator is
an
> > extra step.
> > >
> > > Any tips appreciated.
> > >
> > > Michael Reynolds
> > >
> > > Application Support | Application Portfolio Management (APM)
> > >
> > > Minnesota IT Services | Partnering with MnDOT
> > >
> > > 359 John Ireland Blvd.
> > >
> > > St. Paul, MN 55155
> > >
> > > O: 651-366-4918
> > >
> > > Information Technology for Minnesota Government | mn.gov/mnit

> Chris Hughes
>
> GIS Analyst
> Lincoln County Surveyor Department
> 880 NE 7th St. l Newport, OR 97365
> Tel: (541) 574 1283

Re: [Geomoose-users] Geomoose 3, URL call to start a service with parameters

chughes
Brent,

That was exactly what I was referring to, thanks! It definitely helps knowing what that zoom/resolution parameter is
referring to. Now to figure out how to programmatically reproduce it.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 8:39 AM TC Haddad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

an
> > extra step.
> > >
> > > Any tips appreciated.
> > >
> > > Michael Reynolds
> > >
> > > Application Support | Application Portfolio Management (APM)
> > >
> > > Minnesota IT Services | Partnering with MnDOT
> > >
> > > 359 John Ireland Blvd.
> > >
> > > St. Paul, MN 55155
> > >
> > > O: 651-366-4918
> > >
> > > Information Technology for Minnesota Government | mn.gov/mnit

> Chris Hughes
>
> GIS Analyst
> Lincoln County Surveyor Department
> 880 NE 7th St. l Newport, OR 97365
> Tel: (541) 574 1283

Chris Hughes

GIS Analyst
Lincoln County Surveyor Department
880 NE 7th St. l Newport, OR 97365
Tel: (541) 574 1283

Re: [Geomoose-users] Geomoose 3, URL call to start a service with parameters

Dan Little-2
I know I'm playing catch up from the last 60 days, but if someone tickets this I will do my best to document the `loc=` parameter. For some context:
- The earlier releases of OL3/4 made "resolution" more prominent over "zoom" level.
- I was originally sticking with it because we hoped to support more than webmercator.

I'm willing to hear out deprecating `loc=` in favor of something more like `xyz=` since we could use `xyz` with lat long and the "normal" webmerc zoom levels.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 10:57 AM Christopher Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

an
> > extra step.
> > >
> > > Any tips appreciated.
> > >
> > > Michael Reynolds
> > >
> > > Application Support | Application Portfolio Management (APM)
> > >
> > > Minnesota IT Services | Partnering with MnDOT
> > >
> > > 359 John Ireland Blvd.
> > >
> > > St. Paul, MN 55155
> > >
> > > O: 651-366-4918
> > >
> > > Information Technology for Minnesota Government | mn.gov/mnit

> Chris Hughes
>
> GIS Analyst
> Lincoln County Surveyor Department
> 880 NE 7th St. l Newport, OR 97365
> Tel: (541) 574 1283

Chris Hughes

GIS Analyst
Lincoln County Surveyor Department
880 NE 7th St. l Newport, OR 97365
Tel: (541) 574 1283

Re: [Geomoose-users] Geomoose 3, URL call to start a service with parameters

James Klassen
I'm +1 for using lat/lon over 3857 by default in the hash tracker.  This is a lot clearer for users and really only causes problems near the poles, but otherwise doesn't prevent using other map projections.  Since 3857 has the same problems near the poles, this is only an issue if we allow non-3857 in the future and we don't keep loc= as a fallback.

Hash track could always detect loc and use that for the session if it is there but otherwise use xyz (or let the default of using xyz vs. loc be settable in app.js).  I'm not sure what happens if the user provides both.

xyz seems like an odd name for lat/lon... maybe pos, position, l, ll?

I'm rather ambivalent about the web merc Z levels.  They don't have an intuitive meaning for me, but it is in common use, I guess.

I'm not sure this get to the "zoom to feature on startup" or "zoom to bounding box" comment that opened this thread, but I expect that should be doable with some code in app.js.