[Geomoose-users] GeoMoose 3 - Speed

chughes
Does anyone have any advice on how to improve data rendering speeds for GeoMoose 3?

I'm having some issues loading vector data quickly, although our imagery does also load a
bit slower than in our GeoMoose 2 website. I'm on Windows but it doesn't appear to be
inherently a Windows vs Linux issue. I can load our surveys dataset with GeoMoose 2
in around 2 seconds, but when I switch to GeoMoose 3, the same dataset on the same server
takes around 10 seconds to load.

I've noticed that the services run very quickly. I can search or select data about as quickly
as on GeoMoose 2, but when it comes to then zooming to results and rendering the data
there's a significant lag, even when comparing GeoMoose 2 and 3 when on the same Windows
server.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Chris

--
Chris Hughes

GIS Analyst
Lincoln County Surveyor Department
880 NE 7th St. l Newport, OR 97365
Tel: (541) 574 1283

Re: [Geomoose-users] GeoMoose 3 - Speed

James Klassen
How are you loading the data in GeoMoose 3?  In GeoMoose 2 I'm guessing it was via WMS.

Where are you seeing the bottleneck?  The web service or inside GeoMoose proper?

Generally speaking...

If you are using WMS then load times should be similar.

If you are using WFS it might be faster or slower on initial load depending on the amount of vector data transfered.  I think GeoMoose will pass a bounding box to the WFS server so if you zoom in first it might help.  It should be faster than GeoMoose 2 on interactions after initial data load.

GeoMoose 3 also supports using a WMS layer for display but a WFS later for query.  That might help the initial load times.

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020, 15:27 Christopher Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'm using WMS for display and WFS for queries. The surveys dataset I mentioned is connecting to a postgis server,
whereas the rest of my data are in shapefiles on the same server. Looking at shp2img it looks like it's in the drawing
of the layer rather than in the web service.

Shp2img results:
-msDrawMap(): Layer 0 (Surveys), 0.043s             -    using mapfile from geomoose 2
-msDrawMap(): Layer 0 (Surveys), 7.219s             -    using mapfile from geomoose 3

Although that kind of points to my mapfile configuration. I'll continue debugging.

Chris

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 3:36 PM James Klassen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Brian Fischer

Chris,

Are you using the same MS4W version for both applications?  If not see what MapServer version each is using and check to make sure you have indexes built for both on the data source.

Brian

  Brian Fischer
{Title}
Houston Engineering, Inc.
O 763.493.4522 | D 763.493.6664 | C 763.229.2734
   7550 Meridian Circle North, Suite 120
Maple Grove, MN • 55369
www.houstoneng.com
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | YouTube

This entire message (including all forwards and replies) and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential, trade secret, work-product, attorney-client or privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited and may be a violation of law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Re: [Geomoose-users] GeoMoose 3 - Speed

chughes
I'm using an older version of mapserver on this server for geomoose 2 (which is the one rendering faster).
I am reprojecting to our local coordinate system which I didn't have to do for geomoose 2. Perhaps I have my extent coordinates wrong.

Chris

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 10:54 AM Brian Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

blammo
Try sending the same request you are sending in the GeoMoose 2 version to the GeoMoose 3 version (without reprojection) and compare the speeds.  If everything else is working but just slower, it might be a result of the reprojection overhead.

bobb

On Feb 3, 2020, at 10:18 AM, Christopher Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Think Before You Click: This email originated outside our organization.

I'm using an older version of mapserver on this server for geomoose 2 (which is the one rendering faster).
I am reprojecting to our local coordinate system which I didn't have to do for geomoose 2. Perhaps I have my extent coordinates wrong.

Chris

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 10:54 AM Brian Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Chris,

Are you using the same MS4W version for both applications?  If not see what MapServer version each is using and check to make sure you have indexes built for both on the data source.

Brian

  Brian Fischer
{Title}
Houston Engineering, Inc.
O 763.493.4522 | D 763.493.6664 | C 763.229.2734
   <hei_d562a228-8e53-424d-8c69-43b1a222b74e.png> 7550 Meridian Circle North, Suite 120
Maple Grove, MN • 55369
www.houstoneng.com
Follow us: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | YouTube

This entire message (including all forwards and replies) and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential, trade secret, work-product, attorney-client or privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited and may be a violation of law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Re: [Geomoose-users] GeoMoose 3 - Speed

chughes
It looks like it may be the reprojection. If I set all the parameters and extents to our local projection in the mapfile and in the geomoose_globals.map it loads at the same speeds as my geomoose 2 mapfile using shp2image, but it still loads slowly in
geomoose as it's reprojected to 3857. If I instead switch everything to 3857 it loads rapidly (although in a different location as my data isn't in 3857). I tested it out by reprojecting my contours dataset to 3857 and it loads much faster than the dataset
still in our local projection.

Any ideas how to work around this other than reprojecting all my data or changing all the files that are hard-coded as 3857? See issue: https://github.com/geomoose/gm3/issues/192

Chris

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 9:34 AM TC Haddad <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

For the contours data, and any data that is not dynamic, I’d strongly recommend turning on MS4W’s  MapCache, so the cache can be in 3857 and your original data can stay as is. You can set it up so that you do not have to precache, and instead cache on the fly. Works very well.

For the survey data, which I assume changes more frequently, I would try setting up a PostGIS view in 3857, so that the reprojection is not done by Mapserver or GeoMoose. Not sure how much it will help but it should improve the situation to some degree.