[Geomoose-users] GeoMOOSE 3.x and projections other than EPSG 3857

[Geomoose-users] GeoMOOSE 3.x and projections other than EPSG 3857

Mark  Volz

Hello,

It is my understanding that GeoMOOSE 3.x works best with EPSG 3857 (Web Mercator).   I understand Web Mercator is great when users want to combine backgrounds from multiple sources.  However, I would like to still use my county projection for several reasons.

1)      Our users are expecting the X,Y coordinate display to be in county coordinates.

2)      Our Air Photos are natively stored in county coordinates.  Not needing to reproject our air photos improves performance when building a cache.  I realize I could build our cache ahead of time, however I would rather build the cache on the fly.

3)      We use our cache for several purposes.  Other applications we have depend on air photos in county coordinates.  I do not want to build two caches for both coordinate systems.

Please let me know if it is possible to use a coordinate system other than 3857.  If we can use our own coordinate system then is it more or less difficult to configure compared to the GeoMOOSE 3.x series?

Thank You!

Sincerely,

Mark Volz, GISP

Re: [Geomoose-users] GeoMOOSE 3.x and projections other than EPSG 3857

James Klassen
1) isn't a problem.  You can configure other projections for user facing numbers like the coordinate display or the measure tool.  The actual map and wms requests will still be in 3857.

2 and 3)  Not sure what to tell you.  If you really need caches then you may need to duplicate them in various projections.

My experience at the county scale is I get good enough performance with MapServer serving what are basically cloud optimized GeoTIFFs over WMS to bother with caches.  Then the clients can ask for whatever projection they want.

Supporting multiple projections from the WMS server has always been need for us because some people (CAD users) need to work in county coordinates (with a fake epsg code) instead of UTM.