[Geomoose-users] GM3: Different Projections, securing underlying data?

[Geomoose-users] GM3: Different Projections, securing underlying data?

Mark  Volz

Hello,

I am curious about a couple things regarding GeoMOOSE 3.

First,

I have seen several emails referencing projection 4326.  Is that the only supported projection or can we use our own?

Second,

Unlike GeoMOOSE 2.x, It appears that GeoMOOSE 3 relies heavily on OGC and GeoJSON.  Does this imply that we have to have our underlying data exposed on a web server that could be accessed by clients other than GeoMOOSE, or can we still keep the underlying data private?

Thank You!

Sincerely,

Mark Volz, GISP

Re: [Geomoose-users] GM3: Different Projections, securing underlying data?

James Klassen-2
A quick answer from the top of my head.

1) No, but it works around a bug in some versions of MapServer and generally makes life a little simpler.  The data can still be stored in your favorite projection and it gets reprojected on the fly for the map.

2) GeoMoose 3 will display and identify features on WMS layers but it needs access to the vector features (WFS or GeoJSON) to do a lot of the cool new stuff (client side buffering, querying based on features in a layer, and IIRC the results grid to name a few).

Some options:
* Not allow vector access and live with the reduced feature set
* Allow vector access but filter it with MapServer to limit what features/attributes/etc. is exposed.

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Mark Volz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I am curious about a couple things regarding GeoMOOSE 3.

First,

I have seen several emails referencing projection 4326.  Is that the only supported projection or can we use our own?

Second,

Unlike GeoMOOSE 2.x, It appears that GeoMOOSE 3 relies heavily on OGC and GeoJSON.  Does this imply that we have to have our underlying data exposed on a web server that could be accessed by clients other than GeoMOOSE, or can we still keep the underlying data private?

Thank You!

Sincerely,

Mark Volz, GISP

Re: [Geomoose-users] GM3: Different Projections, securing underlying data?

Dan Little-2
Jim hit the nail on the head.

Also, it's important to keep in mind you were ALWAYS publishing that data, as mapserver had access to it via through WMS AND its own protocols. It is best to limit which attributes are published if you're worried about privacy protection.

On Sep 22, 2017 18:23, "James Klassen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dan and Jim,

Thank you for your reply.

Regarding projections, I would still like to use county coordinates for the x/y status bar, underlying data, air photo background, etc.  I have no desire to use Google or Mapnik boundaries.  Therefore I would like to continue using my county coordinates if possible.  Is there a way that I can verify which version of Mapserver / MS4W has the projection bug so that I can avoid that version of Mapserver / MS4w if I choose to use my own projection?

Regarding sharing data through WMS, WFS, and GeoJson.  Our county does not have an “Open Data” Policy yet.   Therefore I think I should do my due diligence to try to protect users from downloading the parcels in a vector format through an open WFS or GeoJSON endpoint – even if it is just the outline and Parcel Identification Number.   So it sounds like my choices right now are 1) Adopt an Open data Policy.  2) Use GeoMOOSE 3.x, but without the cool features, or 3) Use GeoMOOSE 2.x.  Is that correct?  If so perhaps there might be more interest in adopting an open data policy.

Thank You!

Sincerely,

Mark Volz, GISP

Re: [Geomoose-users] GM3: Different Projections, securing underlying data?

James Klassen-2
x/y status bar can be in anything you like it is now independent of the map.  See "Configure Coordinate Display" in the workshop [1]

Air photo background shouldn't be a problem as it is WMS.  IIRC the bug had something to do with identify or select features over WFS.  I don't remember the details of what versions were affected.

Open Data, particularly from governments, seems to be the trend at least in MN, [2], [3], etc.   That said, you are correct, GeoMoose 2.x does more of the processing (most notably select and search) on the server in PHP scripts vs using directly querying WFS so it does hide the source data a bit better from the end user, but even with just WMS you can reconstruct the vectors from the image with a little effort.  You could theoretically replicate the PHP model with GeoMoose 3.x but it would take some effort.

[1] http://geomoose.github.io/gm3/workshop/

[2] https://gisdata.mn.gov/organization
[3] http://www.twincities.com/2014/02/10/ramsey-county-gis-data-will-soon-be-free/