Geofence questions

Anton Lundkvist
Hi!
Using tomcat7, geoserver 2.8 with community Geofence embedded server.

I'm able to make successful requests (GET, POST) to read users list and create a user at the following endpoint:

rest/usergroup/users/

However to read, alter and delete information on a specific user, I should be able to make (GET,POST, DELETE) requests to the following endpoint:

rest/usergroup/<user>

My question is what does <user> denote in the above URI?
I have tried the following URI constructions:

rest/usergroup/<userName>, userName beeing the user name of the user I want to read or
rest/usergroup/<userId>

Neither works. Basic auth in requests are working since the first endpoint described above works. The error message from tomcat gives me method not allowed and the allowed header gives me only POST and DELETE which is not consistent with the docs.

Anybody using the Geofence plugin and ran into the same issue?

regards,
Anton

Re: Geofence questions

ceibl
Hi,
it is the same with me. I also use embadded geofence in a geoserver 2.9 and I am not able to modify or delete a user with the documented rest-api call.

I am still struggeling.

Could you figure out?

Thanks
Christoph

Re: Geofence questions

Nuno Oliveira-3
Hi,

Sorry I miss the first mail.

I have checked the implementation of the REST entry points for managing users:
https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver/blob/master/src/community/geofence-server/src/main/java/org/geoserver/geofence/rest/UsersRestController.java

First issue, the documentation is erroneous, the REST resource for querying, deleting or updating a specific user is:
/rest/usergroup/user/{user} and not rest/usergroup/{user} where {user} is the user name.

Example, for updating user "nuno" a request similar to this one can be used:
curl -u admin:geoserver -H 'Content-Type: application/json' -X POST -d '{"enabled":true}' 'http://localhost:8080/geoserver/security/rest/usergroup/user/nuno'

Second issue, is not possible to query a specific user:
curl -u admin:geoserver -H 'Accept: application/json' 'http://localhost:8080/geoserver/security/rest/usergroup/user/nuno'

I have created two issues for this so this will not be forgotten:
https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOS-7667
https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOS-7668

Regards,

Nuno Oliveira

Le mercredi 03 août 2016 à 12:33 -0700, ceibl a écrit :

> Hi,
> it is the same with me. I also use embadded geofence in a geoserver 2.9 and
> I am not able to modify or delete a user with the documented rest-api call.
>
> I am still struggeling.
>
> Could you figure out?
>
> Thanks
> Christoph

==
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==
Nuno Miguel Carvalho Oliveira
@nmcoliveira
Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:   +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003
Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica e/o nel/i file/s allegato/i sono
da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio, per le finalità indicate
nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di darcene notizia via e
-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso, divulgarlo
anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of
the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree
June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying,
distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content,
accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which
arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: Geofence questions

ceibl
Thank you, Nuno Oliveira! Now I know how to manage users. I played around with some url like ".../geoserver/geofence/rest/user/..." which did not work.

It seems that there are to many different documentations out there and it is hard to figure out.

Your post helped me a lot!
Christoph