GeoTools / GeoServer PMC meeting - 2019-05-28

GeoTools / GeoServer PMC meeting - 2019-05-28

GeoServer - Dev mailing list

Attending

Torben Barsballe

Andrea Aime

Jody Garnett

Jukka Rahkonen

Kevin Smith

Actions from Last Meeting

  • Torben: Report back to Mailing List about Nightly Build status tomorrow [done]

  • Jody: Talk to OSGeo about setting up a forum (Discourse?) on OSGeo hardware for discussion (done #2306)

Agenda

  • Forum Discussion

  • Build Server

  • FOSS4G GeoServer presentations and workshops

Actions

  • Jody will look into private repo for geoserver organization

  • Jody will start in on release scripts next week in a limited capacity

  • Torben - Build Server - PostGIS, CITE, GeoTools cert

Forum Discussion

Twitter discussion started here: https://twitter.com/citizenfishy/status/1126177363191062530

Comments added to #2306

Build Server

  • HTTPS - on the way

  • PostGIS

  • CITE. cite tools: https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver-cite-tools

    • there are also some notes from Tom Ingold

  • Release scripts must be updated to use some temporary remote git storage

  • windows server to build installer - should be coming. OSGeo certificate needs to be copied there too.

    • windows build server will need osgeo certificate

  • Version hell

    • so many small parts

      • version job config

        • blog listing what files to backup → to private repo on github

          • double check and isolate some information into secrets

        • pipeline scripts? Duplicates / replaces the jenkins UI

      • version setup steps

    • Oracle server, MySQL, SQLServer, GeoPKG use of sqlite

  • What else?

    • geoscript-groovy

    • geoscript-py

    • geogig no interest → move to eclipse jenkins which is available

How long in total?

  • This is This will take 2-4 weeks in total

Action:

  • Jody will start in on release scripts next week in a limited capacity

  • Jody will look into private repo for geoserver organization

FOSS4G GeoServer presentations and workshops

Make a blog post on geoserver presentations and workshops for foss4g:

  • team effort etc…

  • coordinate via email

Cleaning up committers list?

Get a list of those that did not commit in the last year

Add those that did a PR review in the last year

Cleanup the rest

Re: [Geotools-devel] GeoTools / GeoServer PMC meeting - 2019-05-28

geowolf
On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 7:52 PM Torben Barsballe via GeoTools-Devel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Build Server

One more thing that is missing from the nightly builds is the "latest" directories, e.g., ext-latest, community-latest,
which were always pointing to the latest build. Directory names with dates are great, but not useful for using
scripted custom GeoServer war assemblies

As usual, if there is anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Cheers
Andrea

==

GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it ------------------------------------------------------- Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: [Geotools-devel] GeoTools / GeoServer PMC meeting - 2019-05-28

GeoServer - Dev mailing list
Hmm, those should still be getting constructed. The builds are currently using "Archive Artifacts" to transfer the artifacts from the worker node to the master - Its possible the wildcard expression doesn't catch the "latest" artifacts or something similar is wrong. If you want to take a look at the build configuration for the nightly builds and see if you can determine what's going on, that would be great.
Note that "Archive artifacts" only copies the artifacts into the job workspace on master, I've got a cron job running on master to copy those artifacts to the hosted folders, so if the *-latest artifacts are getting archived but not showing up then it could be an error in that cron job (I'm hoping to eventually just have the workers scp the artifacts to the hosted folder on master, but my ability to modify the worker nodes is somewhat limited, and this was a quicker way to get the nightlies actually working)

If there isn't anything obvious wrong in the nightly config, then I can take a look on the server and see if something else is going wrong.

Torben

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 3:56 AM Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Torben,
I had a script pointing at those communty-latest, ext-latest directory links, it was failing because they were not there.
However, I see they are available now, suspect you did something to change it. Thank you!

Now, I heard Jody is looking at the GWC nightly job, anything else that I can help with?
The major pain points right now are, in order of priority (priority of mine of course, others might disagree):
  • https support
  • postgresql and other databases for online builds
  • cite
  • release jobs
  • windows build server for releases
Cheers
Andrea

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 12:03 AM Torben Barsballe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I haven't touched the nightlies in a couple days, so it may have just been them trickling through the build. Glad its working again though.

I'll ask about https again. Planet Federal ought to have a cert for build.geoserver.org, I just don't have access to it.

I'm currently looking into PostGIS; something is wrong with the config, but I'm having trouble determining exactly what (seems like something is missing on the worker node)

I found run.sh for the cite tests, and have added a PR to the geoserver-cite-tools repo containing it, so that it is in version control. If you want to take a look at that, and try and get the cite tests working, that would be great. I also included my notes from last time I looked at the cite tests in a comment at the top of the file - that should help get this working. The PR is here: https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver-cite-tools/pull/8
The other option would be to look at the release jobs, and see what changes need to be made there to get them working again, although I think Jody mentioned he might be doing that soon.

A windows build box is on the way, someone else at Planet Federal is looking into it.

One other thing on my radar (but lower priority that everything else) is the geowebcache nightlies, which aren't configured to use git, and need to be updated before they'll work again.

Torben

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 6:29 PM Torben Barsballe <[hidden email]> wrote:
I haven't touched the nightlies in a couple days, so it may have just been them trickling through the build. Glad its working again though.

I'll ask about https again. Planet Federal ought to have a cert for build.geoserver.org, I just don't have access to it.

If it's just a matter of getting a hold of a valid certificate, why not use a https://letsencrypt.org/ one?
I guess some users will get broken if the certificate is not the same as it was before, bust I'm guessing most should work fine.

I found run.sh for the cite tests, and have added a PR to the geoserver-cite-tools repo containing it, so that it is in version control. If you want to take a look at that, and try and get the cite tests working, that would be great. I also included my notes from last time I looked at the cite tests in a comment at the top of the file - that should help get this working. The PR is here: https://github.com/geoserver/geoserver-cite-tools/pull/8

I can have a look at it yes (think I'm going to have a bad weekend :-D )

The other option would be to look at the release jobs, and see what changes need to be made there to get them working again, although I think Jody mentioned he might be doing that soon.

Let's hear from Jody.

A windows build box is on the way, someone else at Planet Federal is looking into it.

One other thing on my radar (but lower priority that everything else) is the geowebcache nightlies, which aren't configured to use git, and need to be updated before they'll work again.

I think that Jody was looking into it yesterday?

Cheers
Andrea

Re: [Geotools-devel] GeoTools / GeoServer PMC meeting - 2019-05-28

Chris Snider

I have used the https://letsencrypt.org for my personal websites.  The downside to using it is the 90 expiration dates.  I had to install and configure the certbot on my ubuntu servers to automatically renew the certificates when they get within 30 days of expiration.  I like it, but it does take that little bit extra to setup.

Chris Snider

Senior Software Engineer

pa-logo-email

Re: [Geotools-devel] GeoTools / GeoServer PMC meeting - 2019-05-28

geowolf
Hi Torben,
I had a look at tried to understand how the tools work.
The run.sh is not meant to be part of the cite tools repository, it actually needs to be in a different repo
and work a directory level up compared to the tools.

It is also supposed to have a "one time" setup that are part of the instructions at the top, which
would checkout the cite tools and geoserver itself (in order to get the data directories) and work from there.

The forms submodule (coming from Justin's checkouts) is also in need to be modified to change the ports.

I've also noticed that the workspaces do not seem to be available after builds, which makes things difficult to debug,
probably due to the worker node disappearing after the build is done.

Maybe it's possible to resuscitate the cite tests, but I'm guessing it would require some extra effort, thinking out loud:
  • Put run.sh in its own repository
  • Clone the forms and update it (or just sed it during execution to change the ports)
  • Create an assembly for the data dirs during the geoserver build so that we don't have to clone all geoserver, or use some form of partial checkout
I'm also looking into just switching to the newer docker based teamengine architecture, but it seems it does not
support a one shot execution of the test suites, it would start the web interface of the teamengine instead:

Cheers
Andrea

==

[...]

Hi Andrea

Yeah, did notice run.sh expects to be a level higher. I feel like it would make just as much sense to reconfigure run.sh to work from within the cite-tools repo as it would to put it in its own repo (there's already enough repos involved in the cite build as it is), but if you think adding another repo would be easier, then thats fine by me.

The assembly/setup portion seems like something that could be added to run.sh (perhaps with some checks to see if things are already set up), or included in the cite build config on jenkins.

As for ports, sed during execution seems sensible to me.

A workaround for the geoserver checkout seems like a good idea to me as well. I believe it is possible to download subfolders of a repository via github, so that might be one way to go. Take a look at this StackOverflow post.

Cheers,
Torben