GeoTIFF - unsupported PCS

Oxenstierna Andreas
We are working with images over Estonia and tried to make GeoServer use an ImageMosaic of GeoTIFFs.
However, we found out that GeoTIFF does not support the "new" Estonian Coordinate System from 1997:
ProjectedCSTypeGeoKey (Short,1): PCS_Estonian_Coordinate_System_of_1997
The file epsg_pcs.inc only includes the older Estonian PCS from 1992.

How is the status of GeoTIFF with "new" CRS? When looking into epsg_pcs.inc the latest entry seems to be several years old.

In Sweden we have a new geodetic system, SWEREF, which is not included as well.
It is vacation in Sweden. I will contact the Swedish Land Survey in this matter when relevant people is back.
We will also do work in the other Baltic countries and assume we will run into the same issue there.

Is it possible to just update epsg_pcs.inc (and epsg_gcs.inc etc.) with needed CS's and recompile libgeotiff?

Best Regards

Andreas Oxenstierna

Telefon direkt 040-16 70 17
Mobil 0734-12 80 17
[hidden email]
SWECO Position AB
Hans Michelsensgatan 2
Box 286
201 22 Malmö
Telefon 040-16 70 00
www.sweco.se

Re: GeoTIFF - unsupported PCS

Frank Warmerdam
Oxenstierna Andreas wrote:

> We are working with images over Estonia and tried to make GeoServer use
> an ImageMosaic of GeoTIFFs.
> However, we found out that GeoTIFF does not support the "new" Estonian
> Coordinate System from 1997:
> ProjectedCSTypeGeoKey (Short,1): PCS_Estonian_Coordinate_System_of_1997
> The file epsg_pcs.inc only includes the older Estonian PCS from 1992.
>
> How is the status of GeoTIFF with "new" CRS? When looking into
> epsg_pcs.inc the latest entry seems to be several years old.
>
> In Sweden we have a new geodetic system, SWEREF, which is not included
> as well.
> It is vacation in Sweden. I will contact the Swedish Land Survey in this
> matter when relevant people is back.
> We will also do work in the other Baltic countries and assume we will
> run into the same issue there.
>
> Is it possible to just update epsg_pcs.inc (and epsg_gcs.inc etc.) with
> needed CS's and recompile libgeotiff?

Andreas,

The general practice has been to not update the .inc files (which do not
seem to have a very deterministic relationship with the names from the
EPSG database) so these still reflect a snapshot of the PCS codes from the
mid 90's when GeoTIFF was standardized.

But, people do just go ahead and use new PCS codes whether they are
represented in the .inc files or not.  Looking in my records the
"Estonian Coordinate System of 1997" is PCS 3301.

RE: GeoTIFF - unsupported PCS

Oxenstierna Andreas
Frank,

Several new coordinate systems has been defined in Northern and Eastern Europe the last 15 years, due to both political and technical reasons. Both the official Swedish and Estonian coordinate reference systems are not supported by GeoTIFF but has been defined by EPSG since several years. They are both defined using completely new geodetic measurements.
Is there any mechanism to make official updates to GeoTIFF? Or should we (as a consultant company) just go ahead and recompile libgeotiff on our own as needed?

Best Regards

Andreas

 -----

Oxenstierna Andreas wrote:

> Frank,
>
> Several new coordinate systems has been defined in Northern and Eastern
> Europe the last 15 years, due to both political and technical reasons.
> Both the official Swedish and Estonian coordinate reference systems are
> not supported by GeoTIFF but has been defined by EPSG since several
> years. They are both defined using completely new geodetic measurements.
> Is there any mechanism to make official updates to GeoTIFF? Or should we
> (as a consultant company) just go ahead and recompile libgeotiff on our
> own as needed?

Andreas,

I'm aware the EPSG database has evolved substantially in the last 15 years.

You can always add stuff to your .inc files and recompile if you wish.
But my position is that we should ignore the .inc files for new definitions.
That, is we should treat the .inc files as historical and not attempt to
use those pre-defines for PCS codes and other similar objects.  Instead just
use the code numbers as defined by EPSG.

I would add there is no proper process to revise the GeoTIFF specification
since there is no responsible organization.  However, we do try to establish
best practice on this mailing list by consensus.