GeoTIFF conformance testing

Smith, Richard C.

Hello GeoTIFF list members:

In GeoTIFF FAQ by Mike Ruth found at http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/faq.html there is the comment “...the quality of GeoTIFF implementations varies greatly, there are no means to do conformance testing on produced GeoTIFF files.”

My question is, has any progress been made in doing conformance testing on GeoTIFF files?

And, are there any easy to use tools for GeoTIFF conformance testing?

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Rick Smith

Phone: 703.822.9398

E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: GeoTIFF conformance testing

Even Rouault-2
Le dimanche 22 novembre 2015 19:18:40, Smith, Richard C. a écrit :

> Hello GeoTIFF list members:
>
> In GeoTIFF FAQ by Mike Ruth found at
> http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/faq.html there is the comment "...the
> quality of GeoTIFF implementations varies greatly, there are no means to
> do conformance testing on produced GeoTIFF files."
>
> My question is, has any progress been made in doing conformance testing on
> GeoTIFF files? And, are there any easy to use tools for GeoTIFF
> conformance testing?

Rick,

That's a good question. I'm not aware of any free&open source conformance
testing software for GeoTIFF.

I could imagine at least 2 levels :
- checking that the geotiff keys and tags are properly encoded ("easy" level)
- checking that the projection info are properly encoding, ie checking that
for a given projection method, the appropriate parameters are there (from my
memory, this is not even specified in geotiff itself). This is often the level
where interoperability problems occur.

There's (was?) some effort at OGC to revive the GeoTIFF spec:
http://www.opengeospatial.org/projects/groups/geotiffswg . Perhaps some
validation tools was in the scope... ?

Even

http://www.spatialys.com