GeoTIFF Examiner

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GeoTIFF Examiner

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson
  It has been brought to my attention that Mentor Software, makers of (among other things)
the highly useful GeoTIFF Examiner utility for Windows, has been bought by AutoDesk and
their site is now gone. This means one cannot download GTE anymore.

  I still have a copy of GeoTIFF examiner, but I don't think it's legal for me to
redistribute it at this point. However, it's a real bummer that it will no longer be
available.

  Does anyone here have any insight on who might be in charge of this property now? I've
dealt with AutoDesk before, and they are so large as to be very frustrating to start "at
the front door". I'd like to seek approval from them to provide a mirror where users can
download GTE once again.

  Thanks in advance for any advice.

--
     Chris 'Xenon' Hanson | Xenon @ 3D Nature | http://www.3DNature.com/
 "I set the wheels in motion, turn up all the machines, activate the programs,
  and run behind the scenes. I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound,
  activate the window, and watch the world go 'round." -Prime Mover, Rush.
_______________________________________________
Geotiff mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.maptools.org/mailman/listinfo/geotiff
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GeoTIFF Examiner

Frank Warmerdam
Chris 'Xenon' Hanson wrote:

>   It has been brought to my attention that Mentor Software, makers of (among other things)
> the highly useful GeoTIFF Examiner utility for Windows, has been bought by AutoDesk and
> their site is now gone. This means one cannot download GTE anymore.
>
>   I still have a copy of GeoTIFF examiner, but I don't think it's legal for me to
> redistribute it at this point. However, it's a real bummer that it will no longer be
> available.
>
>   Does anyone here have any insight on who might be in charge of this property now? I've
> dealt with AutoDesk before, and they are so large as to be very frustrating to start "at
> the front door". I'd like to seek approval from them to provide a mirror where users can
> download GTE once again.

Chris,

I think we can just ask Norm about the status of GeoTIFF Examiner (cc:ed).  I
imagine he can confirm, or pass on a request allowing redistribution of the
GeoTIFF Examiner.

I have cc:ed Norm.

I'd be happy to hold a copy for distribution on the geotiff download site
if it is helpful.

Best regards,
--
---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, [hidden email]
light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Programmer for Rent

_______________________________________________
Geotiff mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.maptools.org/mailman/listinfo/geotiff
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GeoTIFF Examiner

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson
Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Chris 'Xenon' Hanson wrote:
>>   It has been brought to my attention that Mentor Software, makers of
>> (among other things)
>> the highly useful GeoTIFF Examiner utility for Windows, has been
>> bought by AutoDesk and
>> their site is now gone. This means one cannot download GTE anymore.
>>
>>   I still have a copy of GeoTIFF examiner, but I don't think it's
>> legal for me to
>> redistribute it at this point. However, it's a real bummer that it
>> will no longer be
>> available.
>>
>>   Does anyone here have any insight on who might be in charge of this
>> property now? I've
>> dealt with AutoDesk before, and they are so large as to be very
>> frustrating to start "at
>> the front door". I'd like to seek approval from them to provide a
>> mirror where users can
>> download GTE once again.
>
> Chris,
>
> I think we can just ask Norm about the status of GeoTIFF Examiner
> (cc:ed).  I
> imagine he can confirm, or pass on a request allowing redistribution of the
> GeoTIFF Examiner.
>
> I have cc:ed Norm.
>
> I'd be happy to hold a copy for distribution on the geotiff download site
> if it is helpful.

  That would be awesome. I was going to offer to host it, but your site is much more
widely known.

> Best regards,


--
     Chris 'Xenon' Hanson | Xenon @ 3D Nature | http://www.3DNature.com/
 "I set the wheels in motion, turn up all the machines, activate the programs,
  and run behind the scenes. I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound,
  activate the window, and watch the world go 'round." -Prime Mover, Rush.
_______________________________________________
Geotiff mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.maptools.org/mailman/listinfo/geotiff
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GeoTIFF Examiner

Frank Warmerdam
Norm Olsen wrote:

> Hello Frank & Chris . . .
>
> Thanks for the kind words about GeoTiffExaminer.
>
> Autodesk now owns GeoTiffExaminer, so I or Mentor Software cannot do much
> unilaterally.  I'll check with the powers that be and see what their
> position on this is.  The code which examines the TIFF file is not a part of
> the code Autodesk donated to Open Source.
>
> Frank: Does GDAL have some basic TIFF directory capabilities in it?
> GeoTiffExaminer doesn't do anything to the image, just enables examination
> and modification of the TIFF Tag directory; pretty simple stuff.  Is this a
> utility one could add to the GDAL package?

Norm,

GDAL mostly works at a higher level, and doesn't give the same detailed
level of access to the geotiff tags.

The libgeotiff "listgeo" utility in combination with geotifcp does something
similar, but is not graphical - which I think is part of the appeal of
GeoTIFFExaminer.

I would *claim* that the commandline tools do everything people need, and
that GeoTIFFExaminer is just a convenience (though I could be missing
something), and so I'm not too awfully excited about reproducing it's
functionality.

Note, it is not critical for Autodesk to open source GeoTIFFExaminer.
But it would be nice if it could become available to redistribute for
free as it used to be.

Best regards,
--
---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, [hidden email]
light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Programmer for Rent

_______________________________________________
Geotiff mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.maptools.org/mailman/listinfo/geotiff
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Projection Linear Units and Ellipsoid:

Reznik, Aleksandr
In reply to this post by Frank Warmerdam
Hello,

I have a what appears to be a GeoTiff with the following info from
libtiff:

Geotiff_Information:
   Version: 1
   Key_Revision: 1.0
   Tagged_Information:
      ModelTiepointTag (2,3):
         960              540              0
         0                4255742.32       0
      ModelPixelScaleTag (1,3):
         3178.84637       5651.28243       0
      End_Of_Tags.
   Keyed_Information:
      GTModelTypeGeoKey (Short,1): ModelTypeProjected
      GTRasterTypeGeoKey (Short,1): RasterPixelIsArea
      GTCitationGeoKey (Ascii,16): "SELibs Geo Util"
      GeographicTypeGeoKey (Short,1): GCS_WGS_84
      GeogCitationGeoKey (Ascii,7): "Sphere"
      GeogGeodeticDatumGeoKey (Short,1): Datum_WGS84
      GeogLinearUnitsGeoKey (Short,1): Linear_Meter
      GeogAngularUnitsGeoKey (Short,1): Angular_Degree
      GeogEllipsoidGeoKey (Short,1): Ellipse_Sphere
      GeogSemiMajorAxisGeoKey (Double,1): 6378137
      GeogSemiMinorAxisGeoKey (Double,1): 6378137
      ProjCoordTransGeoKey (Short,1): CT_Mercator
      ProjFalseEastingGeoKey (Double,1): 0
      ProjFalseNorthingGeoKey (Double,1): 0
      ProjCenterLongGeoKey (Double,1): -95.34
      ProjCenterLatGeoKey (Double,1): 38.23
      End_Of_Keys.
   End_Of_Geotiff.

Projection Method: CT_Mercator
   ProjNatOriginLatGeoKey: 38.230000 ( 38d13'48.00"N)
   ProjNatOriginLongGeoKey: -95.340000 ( 95d20'24.00"W)
   ProjScaleAtNatOriginGeoKey: 1.000000
   ProjFalseEastingGeoKey: 0.000000 m
   ProjFalseNorthingGeoKey: 0.000000 m
GCS: 4326/WGS 84
Datum: 6326/World Geodetic System 1984
Ellipsoid: 7035/(unknown) (6378137.00,6378137.00)
Prime Meridian: 8901/Greenwich (0.000000/  0d 0' 0.00"E)

Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left    (-3051692.513,7307434.834)
Lower Left    (-3051692.513,1204049.807)
Upper Right   (3051692.513,7307434.834)
Lower Right   (3051692.513,1204049.807)
Center        (      0.000,4255742.321)

I am wondering what is missing in the Ellipsoid field (unknown) part and
how to get that into this file and also how do I encode the Projection
Linear Units, I want it to be 9001/metre.

Thanks,
Alex



-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Frank Warmerdam
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 1:01 PM
To: Chris 'Xenon' Hanson
Cc: [hidden email]; Norm Olsen
Subject: Re: [Geotiff] GeoTIFF Examiner

Chris 'Xenon' Hanson wrote:
>   It has been brought to my attention that Mentor Software, makers of
(among other things)
> the highly useful GeoTIFF Examiner utility for Windows, has been
bought by AutoDesk and
> their site is now gone. This means one cannot download GTE anymore.
>
>   I still have a copy of GeoTIFF examiner, but I don't think it's
legal for me to
> redistribute it at this point. However, it's a real bummer that it
will no longer be
> available.
>
>   Does anyone here have any insight on who might be in charge of this
property now? I've
> dealt with AutoDesk before, and they are so large as to be very
frustrating to start "at
> the front door". I'd like to seek approval from them to provide a
mirror where users can
> download GTE once again.

Chris,

I think we can just ask Norm about the status of GeoTIFF Examiner
(cc:ed).  I
imagine he can confirm, or pass on a request allowing redistribution of
the
GeoTIFF Examiner.

I have cc:ed Norm.

I'd be happy to hold a copy for distribution on the geotiff download
site
if it is helpful.

Best regards,
--
---------------------------------------+--------------------------------
------
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam,
[hidden email]
light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Programmer for Rent

_______________________________________________
Geotiff mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.maptools.org/mailman/listinfo/geotiff
_______________________________________________
Geotiff mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.maptools.org/mailman/listinfo/geotiff
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Projection Linear Units and Ellipsoid:

Frank Warmerdam
Reznik, Aleksandr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a what appears to be a GeoTiff with the following info from
> libtiff:
...
>       GeogEllipsoidGeoKey (Short,1): Ellipse_Sphere
>       GeogSemiMajorAxisGeoKey (Double,1): 6378137
>       GeogSemiMinorAxisGeoKey (Double,1): 6378137
...
> GCS: 4326/WGS 84
> Datum: 6326/World Geodetic System 1984
> Ellipsoid: 7035/(unknown) (6378137.00,6378137.00)
...
> I am wondering what is missing in the Ellipsoid field (unknown) part and
> how to get that into this file and also how do I encode the Projection
> Linear Units, I want it to be 9001/metre.

Alex,

There is nothing wrong with the file.  I presume (unknown) is showing
up because listgeo was unable to find the ellipsoid.csv support file at
runtime.  If things aren't in the standard location I believe you can
set the GEOTIFF_CSV environment variable to point to the directory containing
the file.

Best regards,
--
---------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam, [hidden email]
light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Programmer for Rent

_______________________________________________
Geotiff mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.maptools.org/mailman/listinfo/geotiff
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Projection Linear Units and Ellipsoid:

Reznik, Aleksandr
Ahh, thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Warmerdam [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:40 PM
To: Reznik, Aleksandr
Cc: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Geotiff] Projection Linear Units and Ellipsoid:

Reznik, Aleksandr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a what appears to be a GeoTiff with the following info from
> libtiff:
...
>       GeogEllipsoidGeoKey (Short,1): Ellipse_Sphere
>       GeogSemiMajorAxisGeoKey (Double,1): 6378137
>       GeogSemiMinorAxisGeoKey (Double,1): 6378137
...
> GCS: 4326/WGS 84
> Datum: 6326/World Geodetic System 1984
> Ellipsoid: 7035/(unknown) (6378137.00,6378137.00)
...
> I am wondering what is missing in the Ellipsoid field (unknown) part
and
> how to get that into this file and also how do I encode the Projection
> Linear Units, I want it to be 9001/metre.

Alex,

There is nothing wrong with the file.  I presume (unknown) is showing
up because listgeo was unable to find the ellipsoid.csv support file at
runtime.  If things aren't in the standard location I believe you can
set the GEOTIFF_CSV environment variable to point to the directory
containing
the file.

Best regards,
--
---------------------------------------+--------------------------------
------
I set the clouds in motion - turn up   | Frank Warmerdam,
[hidden email]
light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
and watch the world go round - Rush    | Geospatial Programmer for Rent

_______________________________________________
Geotiff mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.maptools.org/mailman/listinfo/geotiff