GeoServer on Sun Application Server

Goce Petrovski
Hi,
I was trying to get GeoServer run on Sun Java System Application Server
Enterprise Edition 8.01 (Solaris 10) and it is no running.
The war file gets deployed, but when I try to go the admin page it
crashes on welcome.do with a 404 error message (Servlet not
available..."). Also nothing else works (GetCapabilities etc).

I though java is java and if it works with jetty (yes it works on
solaris 10) should work with Application Server too, right?

Regards,
Goce Petrovski

Re: GeoServer on Sun Application Server

Chris Holmes-2
Quoting Goce Petrovski <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
> I was trying to get GeoServer run on Sun Java System Application
> Server
> Enterprise Edition 8.01 (Solaris 10) and it is no running.
> The war file gets deployed, but when I try to go the admin page it
> crashes on welcome.do with a 404 error message (Servlet not
> available..."). Also nothing else works (GetCapabilities etc).
>
> I though java is java and if it works with jetty (yes it works on
> solaris 10) should work with Application Server too, right?
In theory yes, in practice it's more like write once debug everywhere.
Let us know the stack traces and the logs, good detailed error reports,
and we can work with you on getting it up and running, as we're
interested in having it supported on as many servlet containers as
possible.

best regards,

Chris

> Regards,
> Goce Petrovski

RE: GeoServer on Sun Application Server

Goce Petrovski
Here is the server log after restarting the server.

Thanks,
Goce

Quoting Goce Petrovski <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
> I was trying to get GeoServer run on Sun Java System Application
> Server
> Enterprise Edition 8.01 (Solaris 10) and it is no running.
> The war file gets deployed, but when I try to go the admin page it
> crashes on welcome.do with a 404 error message (Servlet not
> available..."). Also nothing else works (GetCapabilities etc).
>
> I though java is java and if it works with jetty (yes it works on
> solaris 10) should work with Application Server too, right?
In theory yes, in practice it's more like write once debug everywhere.
Let us know the stack traces and the logs, good detailed error reports,
and we can work with you on getting it up and running, as we're
interested in having it supported on as many servlet containers as
possible.

best regards,

Chris

> Regards,
> Goce Petrovski

server.log (59K) Download Attachment

Re: GeoServer on Sun Application Server

Gabriel Roldán-2
>...as we're
> interested in having it supported on as many servlet containers as
> possible.

regarding this I have a dream:
I really would like to have a "servlet container farm" to serve our release
process in testing on every possible (aka, freely available) container and be
able to report containers tested for working on each release.

To make it a reality, I would have a vmware virtual machine with installed
servlet containers and an ant script to deploy a geoserver war on all of
them, plus a good set of httpunit tests.
Bad news are that I know almost nothing about creating ant scripts nor
httpunit tests.
On the bright side, if this idea sounds interesting for someone else than me
and you're going to help me with ant and httpunit, I can volunteer to create
such a vm, which everyone would be able to download and execute thanks to the
freely available vmware player (http://www.vmware.com/products/player/)

what do you think?

Gabriel.

Re: [Geoserver-devel] Re: GeoServer on Sun Application Server

Justin Deoliveira-3
Hi Gabriel,

This is a great idea, I volunteer to help with the ant and http unit
test setup. I dont know much about setting up the vm, looks simple
enough though.

-Justin

Gabriel Roldán wrote:

>>...as we're
>>interested in having it supported on as many servlet containers as
>>possible.
>

> regarding this I have a dream:
> I really would like to have a "servlet container farm" to serve our release
> process in testing on every possible (aka, freely available) container and be
> able to report containers tested for working on each release.
>
> To make it a reality, I would have a vmware virtual machine with installed
> servlet containers and an ant script to deploy a geoserver war on all of
> them, plus a good set of httpunit tests.
> Bad news are that I know almost nothing about creating ant scripts nor
> httpunit tests.
> On the bright side, if this idea sounds interesting for someone else than me
> and you're going to help me with ant and httpunit, I can volunteer to create
> such a vm, which everyone would be able to download and execute thanks to the
> freely available vmware player (http://www.vmware.com/products/player/)
>
> what do you think?
>
> Gabriel.

Justin Deoliveira
The Open Planning Project
http://topp.openplans.org

Re: GeoServer on Sun Application Server

Antoine Hnawia
hi goce, hi list,

i don't know if you solve your problem, but if no i think i can try to
help you as we installed geoserver on  application server...

so as i can see in the log file you've got some security access problems...

try to write those lines at the end of  your
"/opt/SUNWappserver/domains/domain1/config/server.policy" file (i'm not
sure this is the right path but i should be something like that) :

grant codeBase
"file:${com.sun.aas.installRoot}/domains/domain1/applications/j2ee-modules/geoserver/-"
{
        permission java.io.FilePermission
"/opt/SUNWappserver/domains/domain1/applications/j2ee-modules/geoserver/data/-",
"read,write,delete";

        permission java.util.PropertyPermission "*", "read,write";

        permission java.util.logging.LoggingPermission  "control";

        permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "getClassLoader";

        permission java.lang.reflect.ReflectPermission
"suppressAccessChecks";

};

try it and it should work... well i hope so !

regards.
antoine.