GeoServer data (stores + layers) limit? --> jdbcconfig module??

GeoServer data (stores + layers) limit? --> jdbcconfig module??

fegyi001
Dear Users!

I would like to know whether GeoServer has any issues if the number of stores or layers exceed a great number. In my app there will be around 15000 stores and the same amount of layers.

Do I have to worry about something?

The writer says that he had problems after 3000 stores. The answerer recommends a plugin called jdbcconfig, but this is not present in the version I use (2.4.4). As a matter of fact, I can't find it at all. I can only see geoserver-2.4.4-imagemosaic-jdbc-plugin.zip
Is this it?

Best
        Gergely

Re: GeoServer data (stores + layers) limit? --> jdbcconfig module??

Stefano Iacovella

Dear Users!

I would like to know whether GeoServer has any issues if the number of stores or layers exceed a great number. In my app there will be around 15000 stores and the same amount of layers.

I am not aware of a defined limit, Andrea may be the more authoritative person on this.
Anyway given your number I guess most of your datastore are for shapefiles or raster, I would be surprised you conenct to 15000 DBMS :-)
Then can't you consolidate them?
If you have a lot of shapefile can you group them in a set of folders.
The same for raster data.

Cheers,

Stefano

41.95581N 12.52854E

http://www.linkedin.com/in/stefanoiacovella

http://twitter.com/#!/Iacovellas

Re: GeoServer data (stores + layers) limit? --> jdbcconfig module??

geowolf
On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 11:33 AM, Stefano Iacovella <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am not aware of a defined limit, Andrea may be the more authoritative person on this.

There are no built-in limits, but of course, the store/layers you try to handle, the slower GeoServer will become,
as the in memory data structures are unfortunately not setup for fast lookups, they mostly do linear scans (we should fix that).

The jdbcconfig is a community module, you can find it among the nightly builds.
Not sure at which point it becomes faster than the in memory system, especially for OGC requests, but if you
are using a separate database (e.g., postgis) I'd expect the threshold to be pretty high.

Maybe the jdbcconfig developers could shed some light on its performance characteristics.

Cheers
Andrea

--
==