GeoServer and Conventional Data - WMS

Dominique Carvajal Sanchez
Hello everyone,

My name is Dominique. I want to use GeoServer in a Project. I want to create WMS for diplaying geographical information of Costa Rica, but additionally, I'd like to display conventional data, let's say demography information.

What I want to know is if I can do that with GeoServer. Is it possible? E.g. I'd like to have a WMS that provides the geom of the province but also, I'd like to display the amount of births on 2005.

I want to use GeoServer as the server layer and I want to create an application with OpenLayers where I can see the WMS.

Is GeoServer good enough to do that? What would you suggest?

I'd appreciate any kind of help (papers, blogs, books, whatever you help me to understand).

Thank you so much.

Best Regards,

Re: GeoServer and Conventional Data - WMS

Jonathan Moules-2
Hi Dominique,

GeoServer can do it to an extent I believe, though if you want to serve the raw stats you'd be better suited with some other application (although you could probably cludge something up with WFS).

However if you want the stats overlaid on the map, that's easy (it's just a text label).

You may also be interested in the chart extension:

Cheers,
Jonathan

On 13 August 2014 06:23, Dominique Carvajal Sanchez <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

My name is Dominique. I want to use GeoServer in a Project. I want to create WMS for diplaying geographical information of Costa Rica, but additionally, I'd like to display conventional data, let's say demography information.

What I want to know is if I can do that with GeoServer. Is it possible? E.g. I'd like to have a WMS that provides the geom of the province but also, I'd like to display the amount of births on 2005.

I want to use GeoServer as the server layer and I want to create an application with OpenLayers where I can see the WMS.

Is GeoServer good enough to do that? What would you suggest?

I'd appreciate any kind of help (papers, blogs, books, whatever you help me to understand).

Thank you so much.

Best Regards,

This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only and may contain confidential, sensitive or personal information and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All email traffic sent to or from us, including without limitation all GCSX traffic, may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

Re: GeoServer and Conventional Data - WMS

Rahkonen Jukka (Tike)

I do not know how this application is done but obviously it is utilizing Geoserver:

http://cip-pakistan.geo-solutions.it/MapStore/

Try the Genarate chart button and see if it is anything close to what you want.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Jonathan

[...]

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for replying. You're right! I would like to display the information over the map. I'll take a look at the char extension.

The image on the link that you sent is pretty similar to what I want to do.

Thank you so much!

All the best,

Re: GeoServer and Conventional Data - WMS

Dominique Carvajal Sanchez
Hello jukka,

Thank you so much for sharing that link. I like the chart. It's not what I was looking for, but I think I can use this way to display information too.

Thank you guys for helping out with my question.

All the best,

Dominique.