GeoServer Slow to Start with Lots of Namespaces ( > 3h )

GeoServer Slow to Start with Lots of Namespaces ( > 3h )

untouchable
Hi,
I have the same problem as described in [1] -- I am running GeoServer under Tomcat with a lot of georeferenced maps ( about 65 000 ) and it takes very long time to start - about 3-4 hours.
The problem seems to be in that GeoServer is checking all of those resources one by one each time it starts..
My question is: Is there any way to disable these checks? Or do them only one a month or so?
Or is there any other solution?
It is quite annoying when server needs to be restarted and people are waiting for it..

Thanks in advance

Jaroslav Urik

Re: GeoServer Slow to Start with Lots of Namespaces ( > 3h )

Julian

… or possibly running these checks in parallel?

Re: GeoServer Slow to Start with Lots of Namespaces ( > 3h )

untouchable
Yes, that might solve it, but I do not know how to achieve this.. Also I hope that geonetwork just check if file exist and does not read the whole file..

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 3:09 PM Julian Hollingbery <[hidden email]> wrote:

… or possibly running these checks in parallel?

Re: GeoServer Slow to Start with Lots of Namespaces ( > 3h )

geowolf
we don't know why it's happening but you're not the first to report it.
I already asked in vain for someone to report a ticket with some details at https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/projects/GEOS/issues ?
If there is no bug report, for sure nobody will look into it when the monthly bug fix code sprint comes (if there is it's still no guarantee,
but at least a chance).

Cheers
Andrea

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Jaroslav Urik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I have the same problem as described in [1] -- I am running GeoServer under Tomcat with a lot of georeferenced maps ( about 65 000 ) and it takes very long time to start - about 3-4 hours.
The problem seems to be in that GeoServer is checking all of those resources one by one each time it starts..
My question is: Is there any way to disable these checks? Or do them only one a month or so?
Or is there any other solution?
It is quite annoying when server needs to be restarted and people are waiting for it..

Thanks in advance

Jaroslav Urik

==
==

Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf
Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax: +39 0584 1660272
mob: +39  339 8844549

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: GeoServer Slow to Start with Lots of Namespaces ( > 3h )

geowolf
On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Jaroslav Urik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I have the same problem as described in [1] -- I am running GeoServer under Tomcat with a lot of georeferenced maps ( about 65 000 ) and it takes very long time to start - about 3-4 hours.
The problem seems to be in that GeoServer is checking all of those resources one by one each time it starts..
My question is: Is there any way to disable these checks? Or do them only one a month or so?

Btw, forgot about this part. The checks cannot be disabled right now, they are there to protect the capabilites
document generation (that used to fail if only one layer/store was misconfigured).
Now we have an option to make the caps document generation "tolerant", if one layer fails it will still go on skipping it,
but there is no setting to disable the startup checks yet.

We'd need to write some code to control that, a new settings in the global server options. Please open a ticket

Still, 65k layers should not take that long, even with the checks.... how many workspaces and stores do you have?

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
==

[...]

Sanghee Shin

Hi Andrea,

I filed a ticket since I think this symptom is very similar to the one I posted a couple of days ago. I talked with Andy who experienced similar issue but found no solution. Hope this get fixed soon.

Warm regards,

신상희 드림

[1] https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOS-7884

---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
http://www.gaia3d.com

보낸 사람: [hidden email]
보낸 날짜: 2016 12 2일 금요일 오전 9:49
받는 사람: [hidden email]
참조: [hidden email]
제목: Re: [Geoserver-users] GeoServer Slow to Start with Lots of Namespaces( > 3h )

Hi,

[...]

I've tried to setup locally an artificial test case with lots of layers, checking if by any chance it's just that
which is making things "bad".
Local setup:
  • GeoServer development series (2.11.x)
  • Postgresql/Postgis
  • One store, one database
  • 10000 layers, each one with its own style

- Startup time: 21:45:20
- All layers, store and styles loaded at 21:45:43
- Startup complete at 21:45:59
----> total startup time, less than 30 seconds

Now, by this I'm inclined to assume the issue is with having not a lot of layers, but a lot of stores,
and the sanity check that GeoServer does when loading the store (there are none for the layers per se).
The thing is, there is nothing new about these checks, they have been there for 10+ years.. it
may be that what we do during this check has become more expensive recently.

But it also points out clearly that a random setup with lots of layers does not incurs in the slow
startup, and there is a need for more details on how to reproduce.

Please everybody involved, share:
  • Version of GeoServer that starts fast, version that starts slow
  • How many workspaces
  • How many stores per workspace, and which type. Is there any type that feels slower than others?
  • If the store has the schema configured, or left blank
  • When configuring a new layer out of the store, how many tables are showing up?

Cheers
Andrea

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 2:53 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

phone: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313

fax: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20166%200272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272

mob: <a href="tel:+39%20339%20884%204549" value="+393398844549" target="_blank">+39  339 8844549

[...]

Oook, think I've found it... yesterday I thought the startup was complete, but I was wrong (was late, got tired).
In the trailing end of the startup GWC there is a check verifying that each vector layer has as geometry
column (in other terms, that it's not geometryless).

This triggers the computation of the table structure for each and every layer, taking ages and keeping
the database really busy for a long time.

Unfortunately I cannot talk with the original developer adding this code as he left, but it seems to me
that a geometryless layer should not be allowed caching at creation time, and verification at startup
time should be useless.

I was not involved in reviewing the original pull request, I'll check with the ones that had a look at it:

Cheers
Andrea

On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 9:55 PM, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

kweiss01@harris.com
I haven’t tested this in a while, but we experienced this problem in the past and discovered that using the JDBC-Config plugin (from community modules) resolved the issue.  There is an initial hit during the first run with JDBC-Config enabled as it reads every resource file, validates it, and then inserts into the database, but then on subsequent startups the system is ready almost instantaneously.

Kevin M. Weiss
Software Engineer
CRITICAL NETWORKS / HARRIS CORPORATION
harris.com  / [hidden email]

[1] http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/GeoServer-Slow-to-Start-with-Lots-of-Namespaces-td5068101.html

Re: GeoServer Slow to Start with Lots of Namespaces ( > 3h )

geowolf
I'm afraid this won't help as the code I've discovered is in the GWC integration and independent of
how the storage is setup.
The only way to get rid of it without changing the code would be to remove all gwc jars from GeoServer (which is btw completely feasible, if one does not need caching/WMTS)

Cheers
Andrea

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 8:46 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

for those interested, I've prepared a couple of pull requests to deal with these issues. Not sure
when they are going to land on 2.10 and 2.9, right now they are pending review:

Cheers
Andrea

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

sorry for this late answer, I was AFK on vacation for last 14 days.
I would like to thank you for all this work you have done!
I am really looking forward to testing this

Thank you very much and have a nice Christmas =)

Kind regards,

Jaroslav

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 11:40 AM Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

phone: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" class="gmail_msg" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20166%200272" value="+3905841660272" class="gmail_msg" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272
mob: <a href="tel:+39%20339%20884%204549" value="+393398844549" class="gmail_msg" target="_blank">+39  339 8844549

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 6:57 PM, Jaroslav Urik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Andrea,

sorry for this late answer, I was AFK on vacation for last 14 days.
I would like to thank you for all this work you have done!
I am really looking forward to testing this

One of the two pull requests is still pending review, I guess nobody is worried
and I'll move on with merging it. This one is about having many stores (probably
more or your case).

The other one was about loading with many layers but few stores instead,
and got merged already, you can try it out using a nightly build, or just wait
for the 2.10.1 release (should be a few days).

Generally speaking best to try out early on a nightly build, when the release is out,
it's out, and then next one from the same series is going to be in two months

Cheers
Andrea

--
==
==

[...]

Dear Andrea,

Thanks for this.

My colleagues have tested nightly build version with 3,000 layers from just one data store and got the results like this. It took around 3 minutes and 40 seconds as opposed to 20 minutes with old GeoServer 2.10. It seems theres much improvement.

However my team also found that it took only 20 seconds in loading 9,000 layers with GeoServer 2.8.x without GWC. As you pointed out, we also found that theres something wrong in GWC, so my team recompiled GeoServer 2.8.x without GWC to increase loading speed. And got the drastically reduced loading time to only 20 seconds.

One interesting result is that when we removed GWC from nightly build version, the loading time was almost the same as nightly versions with GWC.

In short, the loading speed has been improved much with nightly version, however still theres something to be improved. We’ll also dig into it.

Kind regards,

신상희 드림
---
Shin, Sanghee