GeoServer REST API: restrictions on GeoServer object names?

GeoServer REST API: restrictions on GeoServer object names?

Rui Maciel

While browsing through GeoServer 2.15.1 release notes I've stumbled on a bug report (GEOS-9054) that mentions that GeoServer's REST API cannot handle certain characters in the names of some GeoServer objects such as layers and feature types

Here's a link to the bug report:

https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOS-9054

Does anyone know if these naming restrictions are documented? This info is useful to anyone who wants to develop clients for the GeoServer REST API  in order to implement validators and write unit tests.

Best regards,

Rui Maciel

Re: GeoServer REST API: restrictions on GeoServer object names?

jody.garnett
Some of the restrictions are protocol specific and I am not aware of the OGC documenting everything in one spot.

For example:

- WFS requires that layer names be good XML types (so you cannot start with a number). Technically you may still be able to generate GeoJSON but not XML output ...
- WCS has no such XML based restriction so having layers based the date of an orthophoto is fine...
- We have also run into trouble with folks using ":" in a layer name (as we often use this character to serrate out <workspace>:<layer name>

Does that help?
--
Jody Garnett

On Thu, 2 May 2019 at 02:37, Rui Maciel <[hidden email]> wrote:

While browsing through GeoServer 2.15.1 release notes I've stumbled on a bug report (GEOS-9054) that mentions that GeoServer's REST API cannot handle certain characters in the names of some GeoServer objects such as layers and feature types

Here's a link to the bug report:

https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/browse/GEOS-9054

Does anyone know if these naming restrictions are documented? This info is useful to anyone who wants to develop clients for the GeoServer REST API  in order to implement validators and write unit tests.

Best regards,

Rui Maciel

Re: GeoServer REST API: restrictions on GeoServer object names?

Rui Maciel
First of all, thanks for taking the time to look into this issue.
Clearing up this sort of questions regarding the design is very
important to everyone who considers developing a client for GeoServer's
REST API.

Regarding the restrictions, the info you've provided is quite helpful.
Is it possible to update the documentation to include that information?
It would be nice if developers had access to a specification to design
their clients.  For example, I'm sure that GeoServer employs input
validators, at least in the server's admin portal.  It would be nice if
those validators were documented to allow potential client developers to
have a fixed target.  Otherwise they might end up adopting a naming
scheme that backfires in production (i.e., the ":" issue), or even end
up adopting a naming scheme that generates names that are accepted by
the GeoServer REST API but are rejected by the GeoServer admin portal
(i.e., using UUIDs as layer names).

Thanks for the help,
Rui Maciel

--
Rui Maciel

Senior Engineer

*Spin.Works*

rui.maciel(at)spinworks.pt

www.spinworks.pt <http://www.spinworks.pt/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message originates from Spin.Works, S.A.
This message including any attachment hereof is confidential and may be
privileged or otherwise legally protected from disclosure and may only
be read, copied and used by the intended recipient. You must not copy
this email or any attachment or disclose its / their contents to any
other person or entity.