GeoServer Bounding Box Concern / Zoom Error / Tile Access Error

GeoServer Bounding Box Concern / Zoom Error / Tile Access Error

craytor

Hello all,

I’m new to GeoServer and have found it to be quite interesting! I’ve read through the documentation and spent hours searching the internet to get where I’m at today – but that’s what brings me here. I’m stuck!

I’m working on weather radar mapping using GeoServer. From the National Weather Service, I am able to download grib data and use gdal_translate to save the data as a tif. From there, I uploaded my tif to my GeoServer and created a store where I added my radar.tif as a GeoTIFF. Notice, I have a sld file for coloring my tif. Now the issue comes in with the BoundingBoxes – I have no clue what to enter for these fields and the server auto populated, but is what it auto populated with right?

Now, this did allow me to view my data using the layer preview and I even tossed it on a web map I’m working on and that looks great (preview below), BUT if you zoom greater than 22 the tiles disappear. I do not believe that this should happen and I should be able to further zoom on a specific tile.

Finally, I then decided that I would try out the GeoWebCache and thought that maybe I could serve my web client tiles with zxy, and it appears that is a no go. If I try to access `http://104.156.249.38:8080/geoserver/gwc/service/tms/1.0.0/radar:radar-test-pallet@EPSG:4326@png/0/0/0.png` for instance, I get `Coverage [minx,miny,maxx,maxy] is [1, 0, 0, 0, 0], index [x,y,z] is [0, 0, 0]` and no map tile. I think this could be referred back to my original bounding box issue OR a gridset issue.

I hope I have been somewhat thorough with my issues and concerns. Please let me know if I need to supply any more information.

System information:

GeoServer Version: 2.13.2

Operating System: Ubuntu 18.04 x64

Links to mentioned material:

radar.tif https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aBg7gtRWyYxiDry0l9Hmw7sy0FizTedf

radar.xml https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Kjd5ZOlj2jtKbaSLSIIqMlovOnCp4TM0

map preview https://drive.google.com/open?id=19it09n-1B3pZnXDNF-nAZaewEU8Od63D

Thanks,
Tyler Youschak

Re: GeoServer Bounding Box Concern / Zoom Error / Tile Access Error

geowolf
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 7:10 AM Tyler Youschak <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello all,

I’m new to GeoServer and have found it to be quite interesting! I’ve read through the documentation and spent hours searching the internet to get where I’m at today – but that’s what brings me here. I’m stuck!

I’m working on weather radar mapping using GeoServer. From the National Weather Service, I am able to download grib data and use gdal_translate to save the data as a tif.

Any reason not to use the GRIB reader available in GeoServer as an extension?

From there, I uploaded my tif to my GeoServer and created a store where I added my radar.tif as a GeoTIFF. Notice, I have a sld file for coloring my tif. Now the issue comes in with the BoundingBoxes – I have no clue what to enter for these fields and the server auto populated, but is what it auto populated with right?

It reflects what is declared in the source file headers, so it's as correct as they are.
Normally it's not so hard to figure out if a dataset projection or bbox are out of place, if you don't know the coordinates
a rough check can be made by taking some reference cartography (e.g., natural earth countries or admnistrative subdivision),
load it in Geoserver and ask for both layers, see if the data is in the area you expected it to be.

Now, this did allow me to view my data using the layer preview and I even tossed it on a web map I’m working on and that looks great (preview below), BUT if you zoom greater than 22 the tiles disappear. I do not believe that this should happen and I should be able to further zoom on a specific tile.

Are you oversampling the original, native resolution or the file by much? Say 100 times or more? If so, it's a known issue, no one has been
bothered to fund a fix for it so far. Mind, as far as I know this is in image processing, changing the source format should not result in a different behavior, but... who knows :-)

Finally, I then decided that I would try out the GeoWebCache and thought that maybe I could serve my web client tiles with zxy, and it appears that is a no go. If I try to access `http://104.156.249.38:8080/geoserver/gwc/service/tms/1.0.0/radar:radar-test-pallet@EPSG:4326@png/0/0/0.png` for instance, I get `Coverage [minx,miny,maxx,maxy] is [1, 0, 0, 0, 0], index [x,y,z] is [0, 0, 0]` and no map tile. I think this could be referred back to my original bounding box issue OR a gridset issue.

Hmmm.. here I'm not sure, never use TMS personally (I use WMTS insteadl), others might be able to help you better.
GWC won't serve just any random tile, it has validity ranges depending on the area covered by your source data (only serves tiles overlapping the data bounding box)
Unfortunately TMS does not provide the validity ranges like WMTS does, though the error message is a bit strange.

Cheers
Andrea

==

GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it ------------------------------------------------------- Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: GeoServer Bounding Box Concern / Zoom Error / Tile Access Error

craytor
Thanks for your quick and detailed response. As for the first question I had, after much more research on what you suggested, I came across a StackExchange question, and answer, that helped solve my issue. Here is the link in case anyone is interested (I know these are archived in case anyone has similar questions): https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/256215/wkt-for-epsg4326-with-lon-0-to-360-instead-of-180-to-180/273900.

Now, as for the issue with oversampling, that could very well be my issue. My source image is 7000 x 3500, so I am wondering that it could be an issue. It’s also happening with raw grib data to. How much would it cost to fund a fix?

Thanks,
Tyler Youschak

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 3:07 AM Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 7:10 AM Tyler Youschak <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello all,

I’m new to GeoServer and have found it to be quite interesting! I’ve read through the documentation and spent hours searching the internet to get where I’m at today – but that’s what brings me here. I’m stuck!

I’m working on weather radar mapping using GeoServer. From the National Weather Service, I am able to download grib data and use gdal_translate to save the data as a tif.

Any reason not to use the GRIB reader available in GeoServer as an extension?

From there, I uploaded my tif to my GeoServer and created a store where I added my radar.tif as a GeoTIFF. Notice, I have a sld file for coloring my tif. Now the issue comes in with the BoundingBoxes – I have no clue what to enter for these fields and the server auto populated, but is what it auto populated with right?

[...]

Hi Tyler,
lets first see if the konwn issue matches your case. Here is a low resolution raster:

Zoom in on any area that has red pixels, until you get very close to scale 1:1 (yes, no kidding), and you should start seeing
white rectangles that should not really be there. Is this what you're seeing?

If not, you can open a ticket at https://osgeo-org.atlassian.net/projects/GEOS/summary with:
* A sample dataset to reproduce the issue
* A request (URL) making it happen

Ah, one more small thing, we don't talk business on this list, if you want quotation for one or more changes to GeoServer
you can contact privately these companies: http://geoserver.org/support/

Cheers
Andrea

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 5:11 PM Tyler Youschak <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From there, I uploaded my tif to my GeoServer and created a store where I added my radar.tif as a GeoTIFF. Notice, I have a sld file for coloring my tif. Now the issue comes in with the BoundingBoxes – I have no clue what to enter for these fields and the server auto populated, but is what it auto populated with right?

[...]

Hmm.. strange, I got it at the first attempt? I zoomed in randomly, promise:

Selezione_332.png
Selezione_333.png

Cheers
Andrea

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 8:42 PM Tyler Youschak <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From there, I uploaded my tif to my GeoServer and created a store where I added my radar.tif as a GeoTIFF. Notice, I have a sld file for coloring my tif. Now the issue comes in with the BoundingBoxes – I have no clue what to enter for these fields and the server auto populated, but is what it auto populated with right?

[...]

Ok, I zoomed in somewhere else randomly and it occurred.

Mine appears to be different though — if you zoom in anywhere and your scale is lower than 1:136K (by lower than I mean 1:17K, not 1:190K) no image will appear at all, even if you move the map around. A preview is available here: http://104.156.249.38:8080/geoserver/radar/wms?service=WMS&version=1.1.0&request=GetMap&layers=radar:test-temp&styles=&bbox=-129.99999999985712,20.00000100002854,-60.00000200020001,54.999999999857096&width=768&height=384&srs=EPSG:4326&format=application/openlayers

Thanks

Tyler Youschak

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 3:17 PM Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From there, I uploaded my tif to my GeoServer and created a store where I added my radar.tif as a GeoTIFF. Notice, I have a sld file for coloring my tif. Now the issue comes in with the BoundingBoxes – I have no clue what to enter for these fields and the server auto populated, but is what it auto populated with right?

[...]

in this case the map disappears because... you told GeServer so! :-)
This is in the style associated to that layer there is a:

<sld:MinScaleDenominator>75000.0</sld:MinScaleDenominator>

Using the preview, at 1:136k it's still visible:

Selezione_334.png

but zooming in once more the scale denominator goes below 75k:

Selezione_335.png

and nothing shows up, as requested by the sld:MinScaleDenominator element.

Cheers
Andrea

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 9:28 PM Tyler Youschak <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From there, I uploaded my tif to my GeoServer and created a store where I added my radar.tif as a GeoTIFF. Notice, I have a sld file for coloring my tif. Now the issue comes in with the BoundingBoxes – I have no clue what to enter for these fields and the server auto populated, but is what it auto populated with right?

[...]

Wow, alrighty then. It was my fault all along! Sorry about that, and thanks for the help!

I have a separate issue (with the REST API), I’ll open a new ticket for that.

Thanks again for your help!

Tyler Youschak

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 9:05 AM Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From there, I uploaded my tif to my GeoServer and created a store where I added my radar.tif as a GeoTIFF. Notice, I have a sld file for coloring my tif. Now the issue comes in with the BoundingBoxes – I have no clue what to enter for these fields and the server auto populated, but is what it auto populated with right?