GeoServer 2019 budget

jody.garnett
We made some use of our budget in 2018, any requests / ideas / priorities for 2019?
--
Jody Garnett

Dear OSGeo project members,
Over the previous years, OSGeo has been proud to support a growing
number of project events, such as code sprints, developer meetings, and
user conferences.
OSGeo is reaching out to all committees, including project steering
committees, to help plan our budget for 2019.
This year, the board is discussing about assigning a starting budget of
2000$ to all graduated projects who have reported to the board the last
12 months (see https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/osgeo/todo/issues/11).
For projects with more of a plan (to pursue a specific goal) projects
are welcome to send a more detailed request for approval (e.g.
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GvSIG_Budget_2019)
A good idea is to focus on OSGeo participation, for example attending
the AGM or OSGeo code sprint. Also keep in mind OSGeo goals as an
organization, (e.g. interoperability goal: CITE compliance or
participation developing new standards)
We would like to ask you to help us with budget proposals to assist your
project. This will help us set aside a realistic amount of funding.
Please add your project info to the budget draft at:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2019
ideally by January 14 ahead of our January board meeting.
When making a budget request please keep in mind the vision and goals of
our foundation, along with any obligations you wish to meet.
Thank you and best wishes,
On behalf of OSGeo Board,
Angelos

Re: GeoServer 2019 budget

geowolf
Hi,
I cannot speak for others, but my personal priorities remain the same as always, CITE compliance and (more) bug fixing. Maybe this is the year they get actually done?

Cheers
Andrea

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 10:18 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nuno Oliveira-3
+1, we should rely try to handle CITE compliance, more we wait the worst it will become ...

On Tue, 2019-01-08 at 10:11 +0100, Andrea Aime wrote:
[...]

Nuno Oliveira
==
GeoServer Professional Services from the
experts!
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.
==

Nuno Miguel Carvalho Oliveira
@nmcoliveira
Software Engineer

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 0584 1660272

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati
personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla
protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni
circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto,
gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza
è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo
scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è
tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita.
Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.

This email is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain information that
is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European
Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or
use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
have received this email by mistake, please notify
us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: GeoServer 2019 budget

jody.garnett
So two approaches, set up as a sprint or set up as a contract.

Given that this is both mission critical (we are a server) and important for osgeo+ogc partner relationship what will it take to get it done?

Perhaps we should do both, a contract to set up the build chain followed by a sprint to pass the tests and submit certification request?

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 1:11 AM Andrea Aime <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ian Turton

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 21:31, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
So two approaches, set up as a sprint or set up as a contract.

Given that this is both mission critical (we are a server) and important for osgeo+ogc partner relationship what will it take to get it done?

Perhaps we should do both, a contract to set up the build chain followed by a sprint to pass the tests and submit certification request?

That sounds like a good plan - we need an easy to install test suite for people to be able to use to fix the tests

Ian

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:43 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a google doc with some research, but as Andrea pointed out it will now be out of date (new rest API option to run tests).

There is also a possibility to start tests as a docker image:

I'm guessing some research would be needed to figure out the best approach.

Cheers
Andrea

==

GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it ------------------------------------------------------- Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

Re: GeoServer 2019 budget

geowolf
On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:30 PM Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
So two approaches, set up as a sprint or set up as a contract.

Given that this is both mission critical (we are a server) and important for osgeo+ogc partner relationship what will it take to get it done?

Perhaps we should do both, a contract to set up the build chain followed by a sprint to pass the tests and submit certification request?

As noted previously, I guess someone would have to first spend some time researching the best option.
Docker image wise, I'm guessing one could build one that has all the tests we need, and if needs be, we might customize it with
specific version numbers that refer to patched versions of the tests.

Sprint wise, it's important to understand up front that getting to the end of it with all tests passing against the official versions
might be an unreasonable goal, when working on CITE compliance I always find a bunch of bugs in the tests themselves,
and that takes some time fixing, even if we make the corrective pull requests to the tests ourselves.
Some suites, like the WCS 1.0 one, might just be un-fixable (as in, they are kept around but don't think they get any maintenance).
More reasonable approaches would be to:
  • Fix as much as possible in GeoServer and open tickets for the tests, and wait (may be a very long time)
  • Fix as much as possible, and open PR for the tests, and wait (still going to be a few weeks or more in my experience)
  • Fix as much as possible, open PR, and prepare forks of the suites with fixes, run the forks (only way to get
Cheers
Andrea

==

[...]

To wrap this up for up for budget request I am thinking:

- 2,000 “Geoserver Team operations” giving PSC ability to react to opportunities and challenges without waiting  for board.
- 10,000 for CiTE test automation, around which we would expect to fund raise an additional 20k. Approach used is contract for automation and sprint fixing and passing as many tests as we can.

I will write this up on the wiki, and invite feedback and revision ahead of board meeting on 21st.