GeoServer 1.3.2 release!

Chris Holmes-2
Hey all, we've got a new release for GeoServer.  Feel free to forward
this on to potentially interested lists or to write nice blog posts
about it :)  We're feeling pretty good about the state of things, and
would like to attract the next bump of interest.

***

The GeoServer Project is pleased to announce the release of version
1.3.2.  We know it's not a very glamorous number - if our project
members were focused on marketing instead of building great software
we'd probably call it GeoServer XT, or perhaps GeoServer: Google Earth
edition, to more accurately reflect what we've been up to.  But we think
it's a pretty great release, regardless of the name.

GeoServer is an open source, standards-based server of geospatial
information, connecting spatial databases and files to the variety of
clients that make up the 'geospatial web', and allowing user contributed
editing through standard web-based interfaces.  GeoServer can be
downloaded at http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOS/Latest

Improvements for this release include an upgrade to GeoTools 2.2.x, and
some performance tuning on the toolkit, with users reporting at least a
60-70% speed increase against PostGIS.  There are also great user
contributed fixes to create PDF maps from WMS and to adjust headers to
allow caching, which can optimize GeoServer for tiling web mapping
clients like Google Maps or OpenLayers.  The other big set of
improvements were supported by Google, in order to leverage GeoServer's
data reading and map producing capabilities to allow anyone to make
their existing data available on Google Earth.  The bulk of the work was
to create KML/KMZ output from the open standard WMS protocol, which is
compatible with Google's network link.  Also funded was a basic SLD
creation wizard, so that map styles can be created through the web
administration GUI.

With the latest additions GeoServer becomes an ideal server for Google
Earth and beyond, especially for connecting with existing spatial
databases.  GeoServer supports PostGIS, ArcSDE, Oracle Spatial, DB2,
MySQL, and Shapefiles and recent improvements with GeoTools 2.2.x pass
the majority of the spatial processing back to the database.  There is
also a KMScore optimization, which has GeoServer render the features as
a raster to be used as a Ground Overlay, for situations when there are
too many features for Google Earth to efficiently portray.  GeoServer is
able to handle millions of rows in a geospatial database, and will
perform quite nicely as long as the map is styled efficiently with the
Styled Layer Descriptors (SLD) specification from the OGC.  GeoServer
remains 'standard by default', so all layers configured for Google Earth
will also be available as standard WMS and WFS.  GeoServer's
transactional capabilities also allow a community of users to update
spatial data, and have it available in a variety of formats.

About GeoServer
***************
GeoServer is an Open Source server that connects your information to the
GeoSpatial web.  Its focus is ease of use and support for standards,
including serving as WFS 1.0 Reference Implementation (and soon to be
1.1 as well).  The goal is to serve as 'glue' for the geospatial web,
connecting from legacy databases and formats to many diverse clients.
GeoServer includes easy to use installers, web administration tools, and
demos to get you going quickly.  GeoServer's homepage is geoserver.org,
and more information on features can be found at
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOS/Features The release can be
downloaded at: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOS/Latest  The
GeoServer Project is completely open source, in license and development
process, built by a diverse community of contributors
(http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOS/Contributors), whom you are
encouraged to join.  GeoServer is built on GeoTools, a project of the
new Open Source GeoSpatial Foundation (http://osgeo.org).

--
Chris Holmes
The Open Planning Project

cholmes.vcf (281 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [Geoserver-devel] GeoServer 1.3.2 release!

Jody Garnett
Chris Holmes wrote:
> Hey all, we've got a new release for GeoServer.  Feel free to forward
> this on to potentially interested lists or to write nice blog posts
> about it :)  We're feeling pretty good about the state of things, and
> would like to attract the next bump of interest.
Did you get the GeoTools 2.2.RC4 jars that were released for you?
Trying to minimize IP exposure here ...
Jody

Re: GeoServer 1.3.2 release!

elFerZur

I try to use the kml output for GoogleEarth with this new version: with the
same url (only changing the output format) I see the map when
format=image/gif, but when I use format=application/vnd.google-earth.kml+XML
the reponse is empty,and I don't see anything in googleEarth.Why?
Regards:
F.Zuriaga

Re: GeoServer 1.3.2 release!

Steven De Vriendt
Sure you use the right coordinate system ? Google Earth supports WGS84

On 7/6/06, Fernando Zuriaga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I try to use the kml output for GoogleEarth with this new version: with the
> same url (only changing the output format) I see the map when
> format=image/gif, but when I use format=application/vnd.google-earth.kml+XML
> the reponse is empty,and I don't see anything in googleEarth.Why?
> Regards:
> F.Zuriaga

And note that at this point GeoServer does not support reprojection with
KML (though if you've got it returning a Ground Overlay, like a low
KMScore, then it'll reproject fine with KMZ).  We hope to get
reprojection in soon.  But as of now if it's stored in anything other
than EPSG:4326 then it won't work right.  And Steven is right in that it
must be requested with EPSG:4326.  If you use the
geoserver/wms/kml_reflect?layers=yourLayer then GeoServer will make sure
all the parameters are right (and you can add additional WMS params if
you don't want it to use the defaults).

Chris

--
Chris Holmes
The Open Planning Project
http://topp.openplans.org

cholmes.vcf (281 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: GeoServer 1.3.2 release!

Brent Owens
What version of google earth are you using? The new Beta version of GE
does not work with network links at the moment.
Also, the projection needs to be in 4326. We will be adding in
auto-reprojection in soon to Geoserver.

Brent Owens
(The Open Planning Project)

Fernando Zuriaga wrote:

> I try to use the kml output for GoogleEarth with this new version: with the
> same url (only changing the output format) I see the map when
> format=image/gif, but when I use format=application/vnd.google-earth.kml+XML
> the reponse is empty,and I don't see anything in googleEarth.Why?
> Regards:
> F.Zuriaga

Re: GeoServer 1.3.2 release!

elFerZur
O.K, I use the new version of GE 4. The projection in the network link is
4326, but the coordinate system of my layer is 23030 in Geoserver. When I
make the request to geoserver of this layer with SRS:4326 and coordinates of
bbox in 4326 coordinates, it seems to work fine.
To make the re-projection with geotools (2.1) I must to include bursa wolf
parameters in the wkt of EPSG:23030. I try to transform coordinates with
geotools 2.1 and wkt of EPSG:23030 with this parameters and it works very
well.
I modify the file epsg.properties included in gt2-epsg.jar in the /lib
directory of geoserver. But I can't verify if the transformation is correct
until geoserver works with the version 4.
Thanks...
F.Zuriaga

Fernando Zuriaga wrote:
> O.K, I use the new version of GE 4. The projection in the network link is
> 4326, but the coordinate system of my layer is 23030 in Geoserver. When I
> make the request to geoserver of this layer with SRS:4326 and coordinates of
> bbox in 4326 coordinates, it seems to work fine.
Yes, reprojection won't work at all if you're actually returning KML in
GeoServer.  It will work if you're producing a Ground Overlay though,
like with a low KMScore.

> To make the re-projection with geotools (2.1) I must to include bursa wolf
> parameters in the wkt of EPSG:23030. I try to transform coordinates with
> geotools 2.1 and wkt of EPSG:23030 with this parameters and it works very
> well.
Where are you doing this reprojection?  A part of GeoServer?  Or just on
your own?  Yes, we know GeoTools projection works great, but the KML
writer doesn't yet pass the right arguments to GeoTools.  If you'd like
to help work on this we can show you where the change needs to be made.

> I modify the file epsg.properties included in gt2-epsg.jar in the /lib
> directory of geoserver. But I can't verify if the transformation is correct
> until geoserver works with the version 4.
Yeah, we're waiting on Google to fix things, since it really doesn't
seem to be an error on our side, since if you save the KML produced by
the network link and view then everything works fine.

best regards,

Chris