GeoPackage deadlocks

Paul Wittle-3

Hi,

Is anyone else getting occasional deadlocks when using GeoPackages in the Long Term Release of QGIS?

We are using them over a Windows network so there are multiple users trying to access the same GeoPackage files. It all seems fine and two or more can open the file to look at but when someone edits it you sometimes hit a deadlock where none of the QGIS applications will shut down.

The only resolution we have found is to physically switch off the computers by holding the power button until the locks are released.

In theory I’d say that might be a pretty serious bug but I’m not sure how to replicate the issue consistently and don’t want to raise a bug ticket unless others can replicate the behaviour.

Thanks,

Paul

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. It may contain unclassified but sensitive or protectively marked material and should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately. All traffic may be subject to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifies and with authority, states them to be the views of Dorset Council. Dorset Council does not accept service of documents by fax or other electronic means. Virus checking: Whilst all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure that this electronic communication and its attachments whether encoded, encrypted or otherwise supplied are free from computer viruses, Dorset Council accepts no liability in respect of any loss, cost, damage or expense suffered as a result of accessing this message or any of its attachments. For information on how Dorset Council processes your information, please see www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/416433

Re: GeoPackage deadlocks

Robert Nuske
Hi Paul,

I do not know about QGIS crashes but I was bitten by GeoPackages on
Network File systems.

We collected some hints regarding GeoPackage in the GDAL/OGR Trac Wiki
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UserDocs/SQLite

Regarding writing to GeoPackages/SQLite we found the following:
The "[...] locking mechanism might not work correctly if the database
file is kept on an NFS filesystem. This is because fcntl() file locking
is broken on many NFS implementations. You should avoid putting SQLite
database files on NFS [...]."(​SQLite FAQ)

cheers
   robert

Am 24.07.19 um 09:36 schrieb Paul Wittle:

> Hi,
>
> Is anyone else getting occasional deadlocks when using GeoPackages in
> the Long Term Release of QGIS?
>
> We are using them over a Windows network so there are multiple users
> trying to access the same GeoPackage files. It all seems fine and two or
> more can open the file to look at but when someone edits it you
> sometimes hit a deadlock where none of the QGIS applications will shut
> down.
>
> The only resolution we have found is to physically switch off the
> computers by holding the power button until the locks are released.
>
> In theory I’d say that might be a pretty serious bug but I’m not sure
> how to replicate the issue consistently and don’t want to raise a bug
> ticket unless others can replicate the behaviour.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul
>
> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for
> the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. It may
> contain unclassified but sensitive or protectively marked material and
> should be handled accordingly. Unless you are the named addressee (or
> authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not copy or use it,
> or disclose it to anyone else. If you have received this transmission in
> error please notify the sender immediately. All traffic may be subject
> to recording and/or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.
> except where the sender specifies and with authority, states them to be
> the views of Dorset Council. Dorset Council does not accept service of
> documents by fax or other electronic means. Virus checking: Whilst all
> reasonable steps have been taken to ensure that this electronic
> communication and its attachments whether encoded, encrypted or
> otherwise supplied are free from computer viruses, Dorset Council
> accepts no liability in respect of any loss, cost, damage or expense
> suffered as a result of accessing this message or any of its
> attachments. For information on how Dorset Council processes your
> information, please see www.dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/416433

Re: GeoPackage deadlocks

Enrico Fiore-2

Is anyone else getting occasional deadlocks when using GeoPackages in the Long Term Release of QGIS?

We are using them over a Windows network so there are multiple users trying to access the same GeoPackage files. It all seems fine and two or more can open the file to look at but when someone edits it you sometimes hit a deadlock where none of the QGIS applications will shut down.

I have the same issue and the same scenario. Multiple users that trying to access a the same GeoPackage file located in a server causes QGIS deadlock.

The issue rises also if no geopackage layer are in editing mode, but simply loaded in one QGIS view.

There is a solution for this behaviour or is this a bug?

Regards,

Enrico

Re: GeoPackage deadlocks

Andrea Peri
Hi,
Geopackage is an Exchange format. Is not affordable in a multiuser data entry environment.
This require a dbms like postgres + postfis.

Regards,
Andrea.

Il gio 26 set 2019, 10:18 Enrico Fiore <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

Hi,

Is anyone else getting occasional deadlocks when using GeoPackages in the Long Term Release of QGIS?

We are using them over a Windows network so there are multiple users trying to access the same GeoPackage files. It all seems fine and two or more can open the file to look at but when someone edits it you sometimes hit a deadlock where none of the QGIS applications will shut down.

I have the same issue and the same scenario. Multiple users that trying to access a the same GeoPackage file located in a server causes QGIS deadlock.

The issue rises also if no geopackage layer are in editing mode, but simply loaded in one QGIS view.

There is a solution for this behaviour or is this a bug?

Regards,

Enrico

Re: GeoPackage deadlocks (and new user)

djes
As I'm a new user of this list, hi to everyone !

As we had this problem, here's a working trick well known but a bit hard to
find : https://issues.qgis.org/issues/20077#note-2
Even Rouault wrote
>  il y a 12 mois
> Can you retry your tests by defining the following environment variables
> (may require restarting QGIS each time you change) ?
>
> OGR_SQLITE_JOURNAL=DELETE
> SQLITE_USE_OGR_VFS=YES
> and possibly the combinations of both
> Note that SQLite is notoriously known not to be appropriate for databases
> stored on network shares...

It does the trick, even if sometimes it could be impossible to save changes
when concurrent users are accessing the same layers. But the speed boost and
most of the problems are going away.