GeoPDF

pcav
Hi all.
Quite nice new GeoPDF support in GDAL:
http://latuviitta.org/documents/Geospatial_PDF_maps_from_OSM_with_GDAL.pdf
Hopefully we'll support it soon?
Thanks Maurizio AKA napo for the link.
All the best.
--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia
www.faunalia.eu

Re: GeoPDF

Andreas Neumann-4
 Hi Paolo and others,

 The situation with GeoPDF is a bit similar to DXF - which basically
 means that although ogr supports it it will be a LOT of work to support
 it, because of the following:

 * QGIS needs to support OGR feature styling first - needs to
 automatically convert QGIS symbology to OGR feature styling. The problem
 here is, that QGIS has a richer symbology feature set than OGR and it
 would only work for simpler symbology anyway.
 * QGIS needs to support the export of several QGIS layers into one OGR
 document
 * SVG symbols need to be converted into symbols that OGR can digest -
 or we have enhance OGR to support SVG to xx conversion.
 * while exporting you probably also want to take into account a certain
 export map scale (e.g. exporting for scale of 1:1000) and QGIS would
 have to read all symbology and label rules for that certain map scale to
 apply them - even if GeoPDF and DXF are in real-world coordinates.

 All of these mean probably several hundred hours of work.

 The good news is that the first bullet point is already financed by the
 City of Morges - with the purpose of exporting DXF files while keeping
 the symbology as close as possible. Marco H. will work on it before the
 end of the year.

 If you have additional funding it would help to speed up the process.

 Andreas

 On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 14:43:35 +0100, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all.
> Quite nice new GeoPDF support in GDAL:
>
> http://latuviitta.org/documents/Geospatial_PDF_maps_from_OSM_with_GDAL.pdf
> Hopefully we'll support it soon?
> Thanks Maurizio AKA napo for the link.
> All the best.

 Andreas Neumann
 Böschacherstrasse 10A
 8624 GrĂ¼t (Gossau ZH)
 Switzerland

Re: GeoPDF

pcav
Il 19/11/2012 10:47, Andreas Neumann ha scritto:

> * QGIS needs to support OGR feature styling first - needs to
> automatically convert QGIS symbology to OGR feature styling. The
> problem here is, that QGIS has a richer symbology feature set than OGR
> and it would only work for simpler symbology anyway.
Hi.
Thanks Andreas for the detailed explanation. One point about styling:
wouldn't it be better to add SLD support to OGR, instead of supporting
(yet another) non-standard styling?
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - Faunalia