GeoNetwork rarely starts

userdrake
Hi all,

I'm using OsGeoLive 10.0 with virtualBox (on Windows 8.1 machine). When I try to start geonetwork (using the link "Start GeoNetwork" inside the desktop folder "Web Services"), I wait a minute and then, when firefox opens, I always get an error (the classical error like there's no connection, and tells to try reloading the page). If I keep trying reloading the page for 4/5 times, then this error appears:

--------------------
HTTP ERROR: 503
Problem accessing /geonetwork/. Reason:
    Service Unavailable
Powered by Jetty://
-------------------

This error happens to me a lot of times. Rarely geonetwork starts correctly.

I have tried also starting it from the command line and the result is this:

---------------------
root@osgeolive:/usr/local/lib/geonetwork/bin# ./startup.sh
rm: cannot remove 'logs/*request.log*': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat 'logs/geonetwork.log.*': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat 'logs/geoserver.log.*': No such file or directory

** (zenity:3648): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
-----------------------

*I have tried re-creating from scratch a new virtual machine with osgeolive, but the error still persists
*Trying from the command line or by clicking the "start geonetwork" link, it's the same, the problem still persists.
*The problem doesn't happen with geoserver, that always starts correctly.
*I'm always conneted to the internet when I start it

#I suspect (I would ask) if this problem could depend both on the quality of the connection and the hardware of the notebook. Some colleagues have the same problem but with a lower intensity than me. Most of the times (2 times) that geonetwork could start wasn't at home. I think also a good hardware could help. I have 4 gb of ram, AMD A6 6310 apu (1,60Ghz), Amd Radeon R4 graphics, and I run osgeolive in virtualbox dedicating 1200 mb of RAM.

Is there a solution that could help?

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
Best

Geonetwork Installer Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Robert k
Hello everybody

I would like to install Geonetwork and Geoserver on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - I would like to use a Postgres 9.6 database with Postgis 2.3.

I want to work on Postgres and Postgis, because I will use large raster data in the end.

Is there a step by step guide to install Geonetwork and Geoserver and start it with Jetty?

I found this Website http://demo.geo-solutions.it/share/bev/doc/index.html .

Can you help me there?

Best regards
Robert

Re: Geonetwork Installer Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Jose Garcia
Hi

Installing the installer in a linux without graphical environment is
possible. See this section:
http://geonetwork-opensource.org/manuals/2.10.4/eng/users/quickstartguide/installing/index.html#commandline-installation

It's for 2.10 version, as seem not migrated to the 3.x documentation, but
should be valid for 3.x installers.

What I do usually is to install the installer in OSX or Windows and at the
end of the process the installer gives the option to save the installer
steps in install.xml file, that can use later in the linux server as
described in previous link.

Related to the database, check this section
http://geonetwork-opensource.org/manuals/trunk/eng/users/maintainer-guide/installing/configuring-database.html#configuring-the-database,
to edit the described files to enable Postgis, although documentation is
not very good.

Regards,
Jose García

<https://twitter.com/geocat_bv>