GeoNetwork 3.8.0, 3.8.1, and in docker: [jeeves.service] - Service not found : md.formatter.list

GeoNetwork 3.8.0, 3.8.1, and in docker: [jeeves.service] - Service not found : md.formatter.list

Jeff Campbell

Hello,

ERROR [jeeves.service] - Service not found : md.formatter.list

The error ocucrs in all 3.8 versions we have tried. I doe not occur in 3.6.0 We are fairly sure the error is not caused by anything in our GeoNetwork configuration.

Symptoms:

As administrator, when we go to the Admin Console -> metadata & templates -> formatter, no formatters are displayed and the error message appears in catalina.out.

The direct API request:

localhost:8080/geonetwork/src/eng/md/formatter.list?_content_type=json

gives a return code of 505.

Our analysis:

The 3.8.0, 3.8.1 and the docker version that was released along with 3.8.0 all have the error message and empty list. This is repeatable in 3 versions of Linux, with different tomcat versions, Oracle JDK and OpenJDK, postgres, and web browsers. It is repeatable using the default install and an empty database.

We have not been able to identify any changes in github code that we could identify is relevant. Our java experience is limited, so we probably missed something.

Questions:

  1. Can someone else replicate this to confirm that it is not something wrong at our location?
  2. Is there other information we can provide that would help

Thank you for any help.

Jeff

Jeffrey Campbell

Re: GeoNetwork 3.8.0, 3.8.1, and in docker: [jeeves.service] - Service not found : md.formatter.list

Juan Luis Rodríguez Ponce
On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 7:21 PM Jeff Campbell <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> ERROR [jeeves.service] - Service not found : md.formatter.list
>
> The error ocucrs in all 3.8 versions we have tried. I doe not occur in
> 3.6.0 We are fairly sure the error is not caused by anything in our
> GeoNetwork configuration.
>
> *Symptoms:*
>
> As administrator, when we go to the *Admin Console -> metadata &
> templates -> formatter*, no formatters are displayed and the error
> message appears in catalina.out.
>
> The direct API request:
>
> localhost:8080/geonetwork/src/eng/md/formatter.list?_content_type=json
>
> gives a return code of 505.
>
> *Our analysis:*
>
> The 3.8.0, 3.8.1 and the docker version that was released along with 3.8.0
> all have the error message and empty list. This is repeatable in 3 versions
> of Linux, with different tomcat versions, Oracle JDK and OpenJDK, postgres,
> and web browsers. It is repeatable using the default install and an empty
> database.
>
> We have not been able to identify any changes in github code that we could
> identify is relevant. Our java experience is limited, so we probably missed
> something.
>
> *Questions:*
>
>    1. Can someone else replicate this to confirm that it is not something
>    wrong at our location?
>    2. Is there other information we can provide that would help

For us, the URL called in that admin screen is
https://vanilla.geocat.net/geonetwork/srv/eng/md.formatter.list?_content_type=json
(3.8.x
branch)
and it returns a 500 error:
{
  "error": {
    "message":
        "Service not found",
    "class":
        "ServiceNotFoundEx,,
    "request": {}
    }
}

It's strange, because the class that manages the request hasn't changed
since 2017 [1].

[1]
https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/blob/3.8.x/services/src/main/java/org/fao/geonet/api/records/formatters/ListFormatters.java#L106-L115

--

*Vriendelijke groeten / Kind regards,Juan Luis Rodríguez.
(0)318 416664 <+31318416664>Please consider the environment before printing

Re: GeoNetwork 3.8.0, 3.8.1, and in docker: [jeeves.service] - Service not found : md.formatter.list

Juan Luis Rodríguez Ponce
Hi Jeff,

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 4:09 PM Juan Luis Rodríguez Ponce <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 7:21 PM Jeff Campbell <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> ERROR [jeeves.service] - Service not found : md.formatter.list
>>
>> The error ocucrs in all 3.8 versions we have tried. I doe not occur in
>> 3.6.0 We are fairly sure the error is not caused by anything in our
>> GeoNetwork configuration.
>>
>> *Symptoms:*
>>
>> As administrator, when we go to the *Admin Console -> metadata &
>> templates -> formatter*, no formatters are displayed and the error
>> message appears in catalina.out.
>>
>> The direct API request:
>>
>> localhost:8080/geonetwork/src/eng/md/formatter.list?_content_type=json
>>
>> gives a return code of 505.
>>
>> *Our analysis:*
>>
>> The 3.8.0, 3.8.1 and the docker version that was released along with
>> 3.8.0 all have the error message and empty list. This is repeatable in 3
>> versions of Linux, with different tomcat versions, Oracle JDK and OpenJDK,
>> postgres, and web browsers. It is repeatable using the default install and
>> an empty database.
>>
>> We have not been able to identify any changes in github code that we
>> could identify is relevant. Our java experience is limited, so we probably
>> missed something.
>>
>> *Questions:*
>>
>>    1. Can someone else replicate this to confirm that it is not
>>    something wrong at our location?
>>    2. Is there other information we can provide that would help
>>

> For us, the URL called in that admin screen is
> https://vanilla.geocat.net/geonetwork/srv/eng/md.formatter.list?_content_type=json (3.8.x
> branch)
> and it returns a 500 error:
> {
>   "error": {
>     "message":
>         "Service not found",
>     "class":
>         "ServiceNotFoundEx,,
>     "request": {}
>     }
> }
>
> It's strange, because the class that manages the request hasn't changed
> since 2017 [1].
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/blob/3.8.x/services/src/main/java/org/fao/geonet/api/records/formatters/ListFormatters.java#L106-L115

Problem has been fixed both in 3.8.x branch and master. You can patch your
source code with this commit [1], checkout 3.8.x branch and build the WAR
or try a 3.8.x nightly build WAR [2].

Thank you for reporting the bug.

[1]
https://github.com/geonetwork/core-geonetwork/commit/1199fd6fda45ff23429bbfbaab86898d9743b1c7